Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 01:37 AM

I just got done re-mounting the tires, needed no tools and established sealing and pressure using a floor pump.
Rear tires seems to have dropped 15psi after ten minutes, so sealant might be an absolute necessity.

And I might need a CO2 inflater to seat the beads out in the field(?).

Looking back 20 years, to when I probably thought of myself as likely the only person at Interbike inquiring at every rim maker's booth as to their rim's width, these seem like "dream" wheels in that context, incredibly wide, extremely strong and yet just 16xx grams for the whole works.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Are the Mavic tires worth using with tubes? I don't plan to run tubeless with these wheels. If not, I'll offer them up here and use a pair of Vittoria Corsa 28 tires. Or Panasonic Pasela 28/32 tires.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:43 AM

I'll have to test them out asap to find out how these tires ride.

I really expect them to be about what they are supposed to be, a toughened semi-lightweight "gravel" tire, but nothing special as far as being both super-supple and fast-rolling.

I could probably get them set up with sealant before this morning's club ride, decisions, decisions!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Hookless bead??

Now that people have these, are the rims hooked bead or hookless?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot to check!
But since both of my tires fully deflated overnight without the benefit of sealant, I just checked and found that the thin rim sidewalls are hooked.

This can be an issue considering wear caused by rim brakes, which makes me wonder why it is only the disc version of this exact wheelset which features a thicker-walled hookless rim?

I note that the disc version is substantially heavier, the difference in weight being 130 grams for the pair.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
Not sure if this answers your question, but this is the rim profile found in Mavic technical docs.
Attached Images
File Type: png zzz.png (18.9 KB, 273 views)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Yes, it answers my question if the wheels that you received have the rims shown in the Mavic tech doc.

Thank you.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM

I've got a little over 80 miles, over three rides, on the new wheel/tire set.

I set up a new/used old CX bike for testing, since most road bikes don't have the needed clearance.

The tires won't hold air without the sealant, but the sealant fixed that after a couple of top-ups and moving the wheels in all directions to distribute the sealant.

The bike sure felt truck-like at first, and I ended up doing an hours-long service on it. I first had to restore all cabling, add a FD cable adjuster and replace a defective/separating Truvative Elita crankset, then had to modify the rear canti brake arm and mounting to get the pads in low enough on either side of the wider rim.

After a first ride however, getting used to being back on a CX bike, the handling sorted out and I became comfortable after installing a shorter 10cm stem.
The tires stood out as seeming free-rolling even at the 55psi I was running. The wheels have very good lateral stiffness I would say, something that I noticed even while trying to cram the brake pads/holders into place on the rear brake.

By the end of today's ride, rain was starting to fall as I made the final 3-mile sprint home back from the ride start location. I'd had a latte and was feeling just like I was in mid-race energy-management mode, and the bike felt like a cx race bike on supple race tires all the way home.

I think that these smooth (33mm actual) tires can work well off road, I took a couple of dirt-trail short-cuts and the tires gripped the difficult surfaces well.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 PM

Are those directional tires and are they facing the correct way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Are those directional tires and are they facing the correct way?

Yes, directional tires, and yes, they are facing the correct way, per Mavic's directional arrows.

Mavic claims best performance on wet surfaces this way, though it is opposite of how I would have chosen on my own.

I've read a few forum discussions elsewhere about it.
Street-going motorcycles use this same orientation to reduce tread squirm under combined braking/cornering loads and that bicycles don't hydroplane provided food for thought.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:48 PM

Got my set today from Excel. Initial impressions:

Putting on the rear skewer, noticed it was way too thin for the huge hole in the hub. Realized there were plastic inserts that go in each end of the axle to narrow down the opening for the skewer. They came off on the white plastic hub protectors when unpacking the wheel. Found them after looking around. A bit of a surprise that they use plastic inserts for this, but guess it makes the hub disc-friendly, too.

Freehub is loud! Sounds like a siren going off when you stop pedaling at high speed. This was just on the bike stand inside so don't know what it'll be like outside.

Nice looking wheels. I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.

I'll get around to trying the Mavic tires eventually, with some tubes, once the dirt roads dry out around here (in a month, maybe?). Have zero plans to try tubeless.

Last edited by tv_vt; 03-25-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:50 PM

i believe those inserts allow it to be thru-axles compatible.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Got my set today from Excel. Initial impressions:

Putting on the rear skewer, noticed it was way too thin for the huge hole in the hub. Realized there were plastic inserts that go in each end of the axle to narrow down the opening for the skewer. They came off on the white plastic hub protectors when unpacking the wheel. Found them after looking around. A bit of a surprise that they use plastic inserts for this, but guess it makes the hub disc-friendly, too.

Freehub is loud! Sounds like a siren going off when you stop pedaling at high speed. This was just on the bike stand inside so don't know what it'll be like outside.

Nice looking wheels. I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.

I'll get around to trying the Mavic tires eventually, with some tubes, once the dirt roads dry out around here (in a month, maybe?). Have zero plans to try tubeless.
I've never noticed the freehub noise on mine while riding, and it has a "soft" sound while just turning the pedals backwards or coasting slowly.
There are quieter freehubs out there, but I wouldn't call these loud myself (and I am sensitive about such noises). These now have a newer-design ratchet-ring system inside.

The GP5000 Tubeless tires in 25mm size might be a go here, the lowest rolling resistance with good mileage, and likely measuring the full Mavic-prescribed minimum of 28mm as installed on these i22mm rims.

I haven't been carrying a pump or tube on my rides on these, and the low 55psi I am running should result in excellent performance of the sealant.
Both tires lose a few psi each day, which seems kind of high for such high-volume tires (as compared to using tubes).

I mentioned a problem with fitting one of the rear canti brake pads after installing these wider wheels (even though it was mainly that my Fuji's frame was made crooked in that area). I have since found thinner pads/holders that ease any concerns of this sort.

The supplied tires seem fast-rolling for such a soft, fat tire, so if they'll fit your bike maybe give them a try.

Last edited by dddd; 03-25-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.
this is a bummer. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set. but I want the option to run them with 25's on my road bikes as well.

by the way, Excel has them back in stock, for the same price.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
this is a bummer. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set. but I want the option to run them with 25's on my road bikes as well.

by the way, Excel has them back in stock, for the same price.
Thanks for the heads up. Just pulled the trigger on a set. It's a stupid price for a set of wheels to use on my Boone