Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Pure speculation that they will no longer produce parts for this groupset. They’re still making 8 and 9 speed MTB parts, for crying out loud.

Sure, stuff is in low stock right now because everyone is convinced the sky is falling and SRAM is the devil.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM

I was told groupo bits are hard to come by via suppliers and I know there's no etap FD's in the supply chain right now because I had to resort to eBay and paying about $40 above what a new FD would have cost me. With that said, I was told there would be more etap FD's coming in Aug/Sept.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM

bikes direct has full build etap 11 rim brake bikes for around $2600

i was considering by the whole bike and using the etap i needed and selling the rest.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Clear their emphasis was on building supply within the pipeline for AXS in both Red and Force forms.

My hunch is there's still bits in support for the 11 speed users if there's an issue and that support would continue. Lord knows if anyone has experience in dealing with massive support of products they've sent into the marketplace, it's SRAM.

But that's purely speculation on my part. FWIW AXS Red is awesome.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 PM

SRAM now needs an answer to GRX though. AXS is sweet, but the pricepoint is higher and it doesn't appear designed for gravel in the same way that GRX is - lever shape, etc. Having used neither though, I'm just going based on marketing materials
Old 07-18-2019, 02:44 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
SRAM now needs an answer to GRX though. AXS is sweet, but the pricepoint is higher and it doesn't appear designed for gravel in the same way that GRX is - lever shape, etc. Having used neither though, I'm just going based on marketing materials
I know you are partially joking but I really don;t know how a brake lever can be optimized for gravel. Its a lever, you press it and it brakes. I just never had a problem wiht any of my shifters on gravel. I can also guarantee I will prefer campy shifter shape to GRX
Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM

hmmmm, I've got a frameset in the 2020 oven that will look right with an eTap rim group and chainset...not AXS, as neat as AXS is.

I better hop on the eTap parts accrual soon.

Instagram
Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I know you are partially joking but I really don;t know how a brake lever can be optimized for gravel. Its a lever, you press it and it brakes. I just never had a problem wiht any of my shifters on gravel. I can also guarantee I will prefer campy shifter shape to GRX
It's just not that simple, sorry. I can tell a distinct difference in lever function and performance when I'm JRA on blacktop versus gravel. My hands after even just an hour on gravel. . . ugh. Can hardly deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Sure, stuff is in low stock right now because everyone is convinced the sky is falling and SRAM is the devil.
What evidence do you have that this is not the case?

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 07-18-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Lever shape can definitely be optimized - one finger, two fingers, actuation location, reach, stroke etc. Look at the Campag 11sp lever shape versus the 10sp lever shape.

if these were 'gravel" levers campag could claim 11v is optimized for gravel since it allows more confidence when braking from the hoods via the upper lever curve that 10v does not have.

I have not tried the levers in question, but there's always more to it than "Its a lever, you press it and it brakes." It is possible...
Old 07-18-2019, 07:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think some are more sensitive to levers than others. I like campy levers the most, that said, I run sram hydros and its fine, not as good but fine.

My hands never are tired on hydro brakes. rim brake in gravel, yes, but hydro, no matter which I have used, no problem.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

What evidence do you have that this is not the case?
There's no doubt sram wants people on bikes to 'go to 12', go to electronic, go to disc..it's their emphasis, their bread and butter. sram mechanical and electronic, rim brake, 11s, is GOING to shrink, both in OE and in terms of parts/stuff available..don't be surprised.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There's no doubt sram wants people on bikes to 'go to 12', go to electronic, go to disc..it's their emphasis, their bread and butter. sram mechanical and electronic, rim brake, 11s, is GOING to shrink, both in OE and in terms of parts/stuff available..don't be surprised.
See above. I was asking about SRAM being Satan.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
See above. I was asking about SRAM being Satan.
That one is easy...