Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 PM

Ace-inhibitors: anyone experience an adverse affect on athletic performance?

Just curious. I have a genetic pre-disposition to high blood pressure - my cholesterol is very low, very active, not overweight, etc. However I recently discovered my BP is @ stage 1 hypertension. After some discussions with my Doctor we went with an Ace-inhibitor (Lisinopril). From my readings and confirmed by my doctor, supposedly Ace-inhibitors have minimal impact on athletic performance.

So...as athletes, whether its in our heads or reality, when there's an unexpected decline in performance its human nature to try to find a cause so we can explain it away with a story that makes us feel better...sometimes in denial that we're just aging . This is kinda what I'm going through. Possibly a coincidence, but it seems like my output & endurance have taken a big hit since taking the medication for the last 10 days. I know I'm not over-trained, I'm getting decent sleep, eating right, etc...so maybe decreased aerobic/muscular capacity could be a unique side effect for me...even though for the large majority it's a non-issue.

Or it may have nothing to do with the medication...regardless, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced any performance impacting side effects with Ace-inhibitors like Lisinopril.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Randomhead

I take linisopril and I haven't noticed any difference. I'm feeling fairly fit right now. My heart rate is a little slower, but still hits the same max as before if I really push myself. My BP is down, but it doesn't reduce it quickly, it took a couple of months before the reduction was substantial.

There are side effects, I just didn't have any of them. I would give it a little longer than 10 days, I remember that after a week I wasn't all that happy about taking it. I think my BP went down and then back up for a couple of weeks and then started decreasing again.

Check any supplements for potassium, linisopril increases the level of potassium in your bloodstream. Too much can make you sick or even kill you

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-17-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Beta Blockers, yes. ACE's, Calcium Channel Blockers, no. YRMV.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

You can always try to stop the lisinopril for a week as an experiment. See what happens and make sure your BP doesn’t spike too high. The experiment should give you an answer.
High BP is a chronic problem that does its damage over the long run, one week of stopping your medication shouldn’t hurt.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 PM

I also have slightly elevated BP. Doc wants me on meds. If the meds drag BP too low....feel bad and can't ride fast enough to keep up with my riding buddies....who I normally have no trouble keeping up with.

Tried Lisinopril first.....supposedly it's the one that has the least side effect on athletic performance. Developed a cough from that drug fairy soon.

Next up to try...an ARB. So currently taking Losartan. If I take it in AM before a ride....have trouble keeping up. So always take it late morning after riding....or my trip to gym. Do one or the other every AM.

I find if I take enough meds to keep my BP in the 125-130/70-80 range....after exercising ….I can tolerate them. If I take enough Losartan to put my BP in the 110-120 range before exercise....feel bad all the time, and sometimes during a hard ride....have trouble getting enough oxygen, and keeping up. And if I take my BP meds before a hard ride.....may be 95-100/50-60 after ride. No wonder I can't ride well then. And I suspect taking meds just before I ride somehow affects how I perspire. In this heat, that's not good. And every hard bike ride these days is a sweat fest....and losing water (sweat) will lower BP for a couple hours.....or until you rehydrate.

I hate BP meds. But don't want a stroke either. People who don't exercise much have an easier time with them I think. Losartan (ARB) doesn't seem to affect me for whole 24 hours, so I take it after exercise. And a hard bike ride will lower my BP about 15-20 pts. First thing in AM, my BP is usually around 140/80. Go for a bike ride, or go to gym (treadmill or elliptical plus weights), and it usually drops to 120-125/75 or so. Take my meds late morning, and it controls BP rest of day. That's how I do it.

Good luck figuring out how you can tolerate these meds. My suggestion is after you exercise.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-19-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Just curious. I have a genetic pre-disposition to high blood pressure - my cholesterol is very low, very active, not overweight, etc. However I recently discovered my BP is @ stage 1 hypertension. After some discussions with my Doctor we went with an Ace-inhibitor (Lisinopril). From my readings and confirmed by my doctor, supposedly Ace-inhibitors have minimal impact on athletic performance.
The only side effect I experienced with an ACE inhibitor -- and it was serious enough that I can't take them -- is coughing. It just wouldn't stop. They switched me to an ARB inhibitor instead, and that's been fine.

There was something else in the beginning, it's been decades since I remember the name or class of drug, that so affected me I couldn't climb anything at all - even a 10 foot rise. Totally sapped my strength. I suspect it was a strong dose of a beta blocker, they have the effect of lowering your heart rate.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 AM

Super helpful guys, I’m looking at several other factors mentioned here. I may try a week off to rule out some other things as well.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Super helpful guys, I’m looking at several other factors mentioned here. I may try a week off to rule out some other things as well.
I think that’s reasonable to try to sort out if it’s the medication.