Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
My recommendation? Don't go...
I could not disagree with this more. I've been to Yellowstone in the late spring and September, when there are no crowds, and in July and August, when it is packed. Given the choice, I'd prefer going when there are no crowds, but it is an wonderful place anytime and always worth a trip.

90% of the people who go never get off the pavement or boardwalks, so the park always has plenty of amazing places that aren't busy. You don't have to go into the back country, you just need to get off the wooden walkways. In addition, it seems like most people are at the geothermic sites between the Madison campground and Old Faithful, and to a lessor extent, but still significant, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, which leaves sections of the park the size of several New England states mostly empty. When I was there in the middle of busy season last year, the big parking lots were jammed, but the mud pots were fine.

Like anyplace with crowds, go to the popular stuff early and get done with it before 11:00 AM and you will be fine. Spend the rest of the day in some of the more remote areas and have a great time.

My concern for the OP is it seems like you don't understand the size of the place. I think of the park in quarters and 2-3 days per quarter is a minimum of time I would want there. One full-day tour just scratches the surface because it is a massive place with an almost infinite amount of things to see. My first trip was short and left me with a need to come back, which I have done many times.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Maybe I should clarify. As sacrilegious as this may be, Yellowstone is not the reason for our vacation. We are staying at a small lodge outside Big Sky, MT. Almost the entire stay will be away from "tourism" with our time spent on horses, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Not to mention just hanging out around our cabin (this will likely be the longest the kids have ever gone without a TV present), and eating good food.

Although I'm unfortunately aware of the crowds in Yellowstone in August, I've been thinking that it is worth dedicating a full day to a tour of the highlights, and then returning to our remote peace & quiet!

But I'll admit that some of your (honest & appreciated) comments have me wondering if even that is worth it, given the traffic and crowds. If we do it, I have found a highly-recommended operator that we can spend ~13 hours with (including travel from/to Big Sky) in a small group seeing Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Hayden Valley, Lamar Valley. I think this may be our best, and easiest, option.

We travel a lot, and while we are nearby, I feel like the kids should at least get their first glimpse of Yellowstone. If it really impresses them, we could return in the future for an extended stay in Yellowstone.
This vacation sounds awesome, and I would do the tour. It's just enough to get a taste, but that's a jumping-off point for a future vacation that focuses on the park. Just get it done before the supervolcano goes off.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:38 PM

The difference between August and Sept is huge. I'm not saying, don't ever go there, but it will be way less crowded in Sept after all the summer tours are done. Summer crowds at Yellowstone mean delays and limited parking. But if you must go then just go with the attitude that you know it's going to be crowded.

Personally that ruins it for me. I'd rather watch a good quality National Geographic show about then go to the zoo. But if you have the right attitude then you will be fine.

I did part of my Geology field camp (required for a degree) in Wy and it's an amazing state. Yellowstone is definitely amazing to see for sure but if hoards of people bother you then... Maybe check out the Big Horns and Wind River Range.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Maybe I should clarify. As sacrilegious as this may be, Yellowstone is not the reason for our vacation. We are staying at a small lodge outside Big Sky, MT. Almost the entire stay will be away from "tourism" with our time spent on horses, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Not to mention just hanging out around our cabin (this will likely be the longest the kids have ever gone without a TV present), and eating good food.

Although I'm unfortunately aware of the crowds in Yellowstone in August, I've been thinking that it is worth dedicating a full day to a tour of the highlights, and then returning to our remote peace & quiet!

But I'll admit that some of your (honest & appreciated) comments have me wondering if even that is worth it, given the traffic and crowds. If we do it, I have found a highly-recommended operator that we can spend ~13 hours with (including travel from/to Big Sky) in a small group seeing Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Hayden Valley, Lamar Valley. I think this may be our best, and easiest, option.

We travel a lot, and while we are nearby, I feel like the kids should at least get their first glimpse of Yellowstone. If it really impresses them, we could return in the future for an extended stay in Yellowstone.
You are thinking correctly!

I would go for that long all day tour with someone else driving. Take some snacks for the kids. Yellowstone is an amazing place and once experienced, the reason we have National Parks becomes fully evident.

There will be crowds but its still worth it. I have been there probably 25 times since the late 70s and have cursed the crowds a time or two. Still worth it. If you go back, September is better - after school has started.