Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...rt=15#p1224328

As I mentioned in my last post, the cage of all 11s RDs has always had a designed-in twist - it's been part of the design since 2009, so that in and of itself is absolutely *not* the issue.

Also as I mentioned, there does appear to be an infrequent issue in some production units where the derailleur cage is not sitting correctly oriented relative to the lower knuckle but the cause of this problem is not clear - it does not appear to be a batch problem, or unique to a specific product range.

If you find yourself affected by this issue, from the UK Service Centre perspective, if you are in the UK, PLEASE send us the dearilleur here at Velotech, or go to a Campagnolo ProShop who have direct access to us here at Velotech ... we / the ProShop need to have a copy of the proof of purchase with the unit in order for us to examine it under warranty - but we will look at it and repair / replace as appropriate.

The initial assessment will be visual, then in greater detail using a jig that we have constructed based around a pillar mounted accurately perpendicular to a surface plate, faced off and drilled / tapped to accept the fixing bolt of the RD. This jig allows us to determine that the RD turns around the top pivot bolt in a plane perpendicular to the centre-line of that bolt. Finally we'll assemble the RD to a system that we know to be 100% accurately aligned and do a shifting check.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...40861&start=30
thanks for that beeatnik. I am not experience noisy drivetrain just the jumpy gears. I am going to check alignment and if that is good then I will contact campy and see what they have to say.

edit - well front derailleur is setup. ok that was aweosme. easy and shifts crazy good, wow, no trim on the big gear needed. nice.

however noticed that when I am on Big/Big or even Big in front and 1 gear down in the back, there is noise and drag on the crank. I mean, obviously the chain line is compromised but I never felt this much drag when in these gears.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 03-04-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Check your cassette spacers. Or sub in a wheel with a Campy cassette you know to be good and see if it the shifting improves.

Not too long ago, there was another forum member with a similar problem and the issue turned out to be on the cassette.

One or two of the spacers between the smallest cogs had burrs or molding flash that weren't cleaned up at the factory, and that led to incorrect spacing between those cogs. The difference between correct and bad spacing is tiny, so take a close look at those things.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
Check your cassette spacers. Or sub in a wheel with a Campy cassette you know to be good and see if it the shifting improves.

Not too long ago, there was another forum member with a similar problem and the issue turned out to be on the cassette.

One or two of the spacers between the smallest cogs had burrs or molding flash that weren't cleaned up at the factory, and that led to incorrect spacing between those cogs. The difference between correct and bad spacing is tiny, so take a close look at those things.
put in a campy cassette (11-29) on a diff wheelset. Problem was similar unfortunately
Old 03-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Try a shimano 11-28. Seriously.

edit: yikes, just noticed you've tried a shimano cassette.

which, frame, btw?

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-04-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Try a shimano 11-28. Seriously.

edit: yikes, just noticed you've tried a shimano cassette.

which, frame, btw?
Rob English.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:01 PM

oooooooh, time to take this to Weight Weenies.

the hanger is integrated que no?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
oooooooh, time to take this to Weight Weenies.

the hanger is integrated que no?
yes it is.

will post on WW soon. Thanks for the help man!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:11 PM

I can totally empathize and if all the following is sorted:

cassette spacers
pulley w/ 7mm of cogs
correct chain length
aligned hanger
chain stay length within campy's requirements

then, THEN, it's gotta be that metal hanger. chets are super flexy on the weight weenie steel platforms. on my steel custom, we had to align it about 6x because it kept flexing back out alignment.

Campy fun, man.

I'm gonna be all about 10s now. Serio.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:47 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I can totally empathize and if all the following is sorted:

cassette spacers
pulley w/ 7mm of cogs
correct chain length
aligned hanger
chain stay length within campy's requirements

then, THEN, it's gotta be that metal hanger. chets are super flexy on the weight weenie steel platforms. on my steel custom, we had to align it about 6x because it kept flexing back out alignment.

Campy fun, man.

I'm gonna be all about 10s now. Serio.

so that was your problem? just kept going out of alignment? And once you aligned the hanger (I mean after 6 f$*@$#* times) then you all good?

man, I have 2 other bikes with 11 speed, no problems what so ever
Old 03-04-2017, 07:38 PM

well, that and everything else above. i know....
Old 03-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
yes it is.

will post on WW soon. Thanks for the help man!
If u have not properly aligned ur der hanger, which is likely the culprit of issue u r experiencing, I don't see the point of taking this to yet another forum. Align ur hanger with proper tool and along 4 axis. Also post pics of ur chain length, with der in big/big position.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
If u have not properly aligned ur der hanger, which is likely the culprit of issue u r experiencing, I don't see the point of taking this to yet another forum. Align ur hanger with proper tool and along 4 axis. Also post pics of ur chain length, with der in big/big position.
Why I have posted anywhere else yet. Have the tool coming in on monday, will see what the deal is and hoping that it is indeed the problem.

here is a pic in big/big -

I measured it with by putting chain in big chainring and largest cog, however took an extra link out because chain when in small/small was too close (did not seem like enough tension).

Last edited by R3awak3n; 03-04-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Ouch. That der looks like it's about to busticate.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

looks worst in the picture. Like I said, I used the same method I always use but had to take a link out because when in small small, the bottom pulley chain was super close to the top pulley chain.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Why I have posted anywhere else yet. Have the tool coming in on monday, will see what the deal is and hoping that it is indeed the problem.

here is a pic in big/big -

I measured it with by putting chain in big chainring and largest cog, however took an extra link out because chain when in small/small was too close (did not seem like enough tension).

Those S3 chainstays....

Chain wrap looks pretty good, actually.