Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 PM

(OT) The most you've spent on a used book

After watching the Big Star Documentary "Nothing Can Hurt Me" for the 4th or 5th time I got motivated enough to do some looking to see what additional information on the band might be available, particularly on founder Chris Bell. I first heard Big Star when PVC re-released the third LP on vinyl in 1985.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Star-Si...p2047675.l2557

Because of my late introduction to the band and Alex Chilton already being on my radar as a solo performer, Box Tops singer, and Cramps producer I always assumed he was the main guy in Big Star -even after I had tracked down LP copies of "#1 Record" and "Radio City". "Nothing Can Hurt Me" puts a lot more focus on Chris Bell's contribution to the sound of the band. I was somewhat surprised to find that there is a recently published (2018) biography of Bell titled "There was a Light, The Cosmic History of Chris Bell and the Rise of Big Star". Even more surprising to find that the only copy I found for sale is upwards of $60 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THERE-WAS-A...frcectupt=true

I've probably spent $30 or so on the occasional new book in the past but doubt I've ever spent more than $15 or so on a used one. Most of my books are picked up at library sales for 10-25 cents. I'm guessing that I will have to hit a great number of library sales to find the Bell bio for 25 cents though. Curious about others' book purchases. I have a few first editions of books I was interested in reading but never paid much for them. Generally I'm just interested in the content, not the value from a collector's standpoint.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 PM

the most? i found an original french copy of fournier at a used shop. iirc i paid ~150 for it. probably due to condition, but i would have paid much more regardless.
my used books have been in 1-5 range.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 PM

About 15 years ago, I used to be a rare book dealer.

Lots of crazy prices and book fanatics.

I currently have a signed photo book that is worth about $1000.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 PM

chris bell's album i am the cosmos is absolutely fantastic.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If you have any first-edition Audubons I suggest that you not donate them to your local public library. (unless you want them to name a whole new building after you)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
chris bell's album i am the cosmos is absolutely fantastic.
“Album” these days I am the cosmos is $250-300 per song—still a great 45 though

But back on point I bought a book for $60 not too long ago and it was a bargain at $60

For fans of big star check out Van Duren “are you serious” maybe we should have a power pop thread—happy to share my trove of private press goodies

Last edited by jtakeda; 02-28-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:53 PM

I think I paid $175 for one or more OOP railroad books; close to that for one on Scuderia Filipinetti. I have many books that were purchased new for $25-$40 that are now being priced at $200+. Personally, I view books as valuable education tools.

The price you’ll pay all depends on how bad you want the book. If you’re really interested in Chris Bell, you’ll pay the price. If not, keep looking and hope you can find it cheaper.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 PM

Radiotron Designer's Handbook, paid $85 for it back when they were usually going for a C note. Now you can download PDFs of the thing all day long.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:36 AM

The Big Ones

Book + table
https://www.chairish.com/product/137...YaAlOYEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Sign...ateway&sr=8-11
Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 AM

I have a collection of extremely rare books that I paid thousands for. These are books dating all the way back to the 15th century up until the 20th.

The rarest being the only copy ever produced of Napoleonic Ideas/Canal of Nicargue with a personal message inscribed by Napoleon the 3rd to his good friend Sir Anthony Panizzi. It has three linen lined maps and is a detailed plan for building a canal through Nicaragua prior to the USA building the Panama canal. It is quite a cool piece of history!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 AM

James Baldwin's compendium The Price of the Ticket is out of print. I paid $175 for a good copy for my wife's birthday.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have a collection of extremely rare books that I paid thousands for. These are books dating all the way back to the 15th century up until the 20th.

The rarest being the only copy ever produced of Napoleonic Ideas/Canal of Nicargue with a personal message inscribed by Napoleon the 3rd to his good friend Sir Anthony Panizzi. It has three linen lined maps and is a detailed plan for building a canal through Nicaragua prior to the USA building the Panama canal. It is quite a cool piece of history!

That is highly cool, Hilltopper! Have to ask what the message says!

I would love to have a library like that. I recently came quite close to paying a couple hundy for an out of print novel about the 20th century midwest.. I am a bit off beat. If I'd been in a position to buy it, I would have bought a signed first edition of "Sailing Around the World Alone" by Capt. Joshua Slocum (everyone who likes adventure stories and good/decent writing should read this book), but it was $1500 and that is not in the cards at this point in life.

In a dream library, I would want medieval theology and illuminated manuscripts ... anything pre-Reformation. I would guess most stuff like that is in the British museum or the Bodlean Library, though.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
That is highly cool, Hilltopper! Have to ask what the message says!

I would love to have a library like that. I recently came quite close to paying a couple hundy for an out of print novel about the 20th century midwest.. I am a bit off beat. If I'd been in a position to buy it, I would have bought a signed first edition of "Sailing Around the World Alone" by Capt. Joshua Slocum (everyone who likes adventure stories and good/decent writing should read this book), but it was $1500 and that is not in the cards at this point in life.

In a dream library, I would want medieval theology and illuminated manuscripts ... anything pre-Reformation. I would guess most stuff like that is in the British museum or the Bodlean Library, though.
I have some of those types of books in my collection as well as a bunch of Renaissance etchings that I was lucky enough to be able to buy when they became available. I have full volume sets of Shakespeares works and art books from the early 20th century as well.

The inscription reads something along the lines of I've restored my family's good name. This was written while Napoleon was exiled and he circumnavigated to the Americas. Sir Anthony Panizzi was the royal librarian and after he passed away it was sold to the first baronet of Jamaica and Royal Society member Sir John Taylor.

Hopefully some day they will put my kids through college!

Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Wow, that’s amazing! How did you come across those books? And how do you store them? Usually books like that are kept in a humidity-controlled environment, etc.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 AM

OP: that seems like a good deal for something you care about. Buy it, read it and sell it on to another fan. All things Big Star will always be in demand. Also: get I am the Cosmos if you don't have it.
To quote Paul Westerberg, "I never travel far without a little Big Star."

Books are an excellent thing to spend money on. I wouldn't want to add up what I've spent, but whatever the total it's money well spent.