Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 12:04 PM

OT: Haircuts

OK - the elephant in the room for me is starting to be.....Haircuts. I always go a little nuts when I feel like I need a haircut and can't get one soon. It's now WAY past 'soon'. Thinking about getting an Oster Classic 76 clipper with a 3-1/2 (3/8" length) and a 3-3/4 blade (1/2" length).

It's feasible, but also a scary proposition. One false move and I can see myself undergoing a self-quarantine for at least another ~6 weeks or so...

How's this working out for y'all?

Last edited by OtayBW; 05-27-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:07 PM
I need you cool.

love it....not had a haircut since February....feel like it is 1982 again (when I would get my haircut twice a year).

Old 05-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Shifty Member

Been using a Wahl for the past 20 years. Usually easier to start with shorter lengths, but if you want to leave the top longer just make sure to fade the sides and back in all the way around. Common newb mistake is to do the sides and forget about the back and leave a ridge.

Also holding your hand flat against the back of the neck as a guide is surprisingly accurate for getting a straight line there.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:20 PM

Just slap your bike helmet on and buzz off whatever sticks out the holes / sides.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Just slap your bike helmet on and buzz off whatever sticks out the holes / sides.
Bike helmet too big. I have a smaller bowl for that....
Old 05-27-2020, 12:27 PM

I bought a pair of clippers, stuck a number 4 guard on it, and let my daughters have at it. Required a fair amount of clean-up after but they really enjoyed it and I got my haircut! Mine came with an attachment that let me easily trim the hair around the ears to a shorter length. Just make sure you use the left/right side attachment on the right side!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 PM

I've cut my own hair every 2-3 weeks for almost 30 years now. Having curly hair makes it easier.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:32 PM

Been doing my own for about 10 years. Better results than the barber college. #3 guard up the sides, #8 guard up the back, and either hand guided with clippers or scissors on top, tapered in. I get some help from my wife to even up the back.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
It's feasible, but also a scary proposition. One false move and I can see myself undergoing a self-quarantine for at least another ~6 weeks or so...
Been doing this for three years now, and I can say, without fear of contradiction, that it's difficult to screw it up if you leave the guard on.

I can also say, based on information from a reliable source, that even a single pass without the guard will provide considerable entertainment for your fellow employees, family members, even the family pet.

Note -- don't step out of the shower and "touch up" the trim you just did before showering. A lot of hair will fall into the sink and you will momentarily be confused as to its source...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-27-2020, 01:36 PM

I haven't cut mine in some ten years now
Old 05-27-2020, 01:41 PM
50 bpm

My wife cut mine (for the first time) and it looks great. Took an hour but the results were worth it.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:57 PM

WOW! All of y'all have had pretty good luck I see with all this. Better than I was expecting, frankly. So, a couple of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
Been doing my own for about 10 years. Better results than the barber college. #3 guard up the sides, #8 guard up the back, and either hand guided with clippers or scissors on top, tapered in. I get some help from my wife to even up the back.
I'm confused about the various terminologies: I think of i) blades, and ii) guards (or the comb attachment that fits over the blade). The Oster 76 clipper that I'm considering comes with both #000 (0.5 mm cut length) and #1 (2.4 mm cut) which are WAY too short for me. If I used say the #1 blade, apparently I can use a #5 guard/comb to get an overall 5/8" cut length. Alternatively, I can use a #3-3/4 blade for a 1/2" cut with no guard/comb.

In your case, you're using a #3 guard (3/8" cut) and a #8 guard in the back (1" cut). Sound about right? What kind of blade do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
I bought a pair of clippers, stuck a number 4 guard on it, and let my daughters have at it. Required a fair amount of clean-up after but they really enjoyed it and I got my haircut! Mine came with an attachment that let me easily trim the hair around the ears to a shorter length. Just make sure you use the left/right side attachment on the right side!
What is this? You have a clipper with separate attachment on the side?

Thanks all. Maybe I'll drop the dough and give it a whirl....
Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. Maybe I'll drop the dough and give it a whirl....
Yea, what's the worst that could happen?

Wait...I've got a photo...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
In your case, you're using a #3 guard (3/8" cut) and a #8 guard in the back (1" cut). Sound about right? What kind of blade do you use?
It's just a standard Wahl hair trimmer, about 2" wide, with the various snap-on guards. That one is corded electric. I also have a narrower one that is cordless that I use no-guard when I let the beard go longer than a few days (the Norelco shaver starts pulling the hairs if they get too long).
Old 05-27-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
It's just a standard Wahl hair trimmer, about 2" wide, with the various snap-on guards. That one is corded electric. I also have a narrower one that is cordless that I use no-guard when I let the beard go longer than a few days (the Norelco shaver starts pulling the hairs if they get too long).
OK - thanks. I assume there may be some (~minimal) difference between the Oster and the Wahl guard sizes and that you're using a short blade with the guard. I just took the plunge and ordered a clipper with that same capability as well as a longer blade to go w/o the comb. It's pretty good that my gf is overseas right now.....