Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 11:50 AM

When does the model with the level TT come out?
Old 03-07-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
When does the model with the level TT come out?
It came out last year as the Propel...the sloping TT is kind of a defining characteristic of the TCR.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:07 PM

If you want state of the art carbon this looks like a good one.
I like the Geo as it has higher stack for a race bike and sloping top tube for lower a stand over which suits my body. But I wonder that for about the same price / weight I could get a custom steel or Ti rim brake bike. I already have a custom steel and I like it better than my Cannondale Supersix which weighs about 2 lbs less.
It would be nice to test ride a TCR to see how it compares. The fact that it can use wider tires is a plus. I am seeing the Pro frameset selling for $2100. I would probably go that route and choose my own components.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:22 PM

I think the TCR is one of the best value bikes there are, but... I just can`t understand why they use the same fork for all sizes, making trail values for the XS and S sizes 72 and 64mm respectively, and the rest of the sizes all have 59mm.

Makes you wonder what is the geometry parameter they are looking for when designing the bike. Is this just Giant being cheap and not wanting to produce 2 different forks?
Old 03-07-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecycke View Post
It came out last year as the Propel...the sloping TT is kind of a defining characteristic of the TCR.
It's literally the C in TCR.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
On the subject of TCR vs Propel: I think the Propel will still be the faster bike. I rode one last year and it was easily the fastest and most reactive bike I've ever ridden, and the ride quality and handling were up there with the very best too. It was the *best* bike I've ever ridden, by a stupidly wide margin. Unfortunately, I just didn't like the way it looked, so I sold it.
That's wild! The *best* bike ever ridden by a wide margin and sold because of looks. I want to think that wide margin isn't nearly that wide or you would have kept it. I don't think I'd part with the best bike ever over looks. I mean, we already look pretty ridiculous all hunched over in spandex.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:54 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post
That's wild! The *best* bike ever ridden by a wide margin and sold because of looks. I want to think that wide margin isn't nearly that wide or you would have kept it. I don't think I'd part with the best bike ever over looks. I mean, we already look pretty ridiculous all hunched over in spandex.
I didn't part with it because I cared how other people thought I looked on it. I just didn't like the colors. Too dark, too serious. The frame shape is good for an aero bike, but not nearly as beautiful as the TCR.
The timeline: At one point I had a TCR SL and a Propel SL. After riding them both back to back I thought 'man, no reason to keep the TCR. The Propel does everything the TCR does but better, except for possibly the handling, which was a little twitchier.' So I sold the TCR. But the dark 'n serious 'n aero look of the Propel just didn't speak to me as a love-you-long-time bike, and I found myself wanting a TCR again. So I sold the Propel and rode my steel bikes for months and months, until recently acquiring a Melee. Hopefully this new TCR will ride like the Propel (minus a few watts of aeroness), because a bike that rides like that and looks like a TCR is the perfect bike to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It looks like the only version with this seatmast is the Advanced SL so plenty of options if you want a seatpost.

If you want the one with a Seatpost I bet there is going to be a very minimal difference between the Advanced SL and the Advanced Pro.

Probably something like spend $2000 extra on the SL to save 50g, that kind of thing.
Yeah, the SL frame is going to cost $3800. Great deal for a frame of this level, but the Pro frameset is arguably an even better deal at something like $2400 (I estimate that the price will be around there).
The SL is a stiffer and lighter bike, and I like the seatmast, so I'm going for it.

The SL completes also give you the Cadex wheels and cockpit and a Dura Ace or Red drivetrain . $12.5k is a poop ton of money, but compared to the competition it's a good deal.
Giant must be loving how expensive S-Works and Lab71 and SLR 9 bikes are, that they can release a $12.5k bike and call it a bargain.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:12 PM

Haven’t been on a giant in a long time but I do love the lines of this one.
Combined with some once paint, I’d be down…
Old 03-07-2024, 05:00 PM

those with spinal fusions need not apply...
Old 03-10-2024, 03:58 AM

I just picked up a 2025 Tcr advanced pro frame set in the rainstorm color-way. Should be here in the next few weeks or so.

I went with the intention to purchase the sl model but ultimately didn’t want the isp and hopefully can get a Darimo post instead.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
I just picked up a 2025 Tcr advanced pro frame set in the rainstorm color-way. Should be here in the next few weeks or so.

I went with the intention to purchase the sl model but ultimately didn’t want the isp and hopefully can get a Darimo post instead.
Oooh, I haven't seen a great picture of the Rainstorm colorway yet, but the renderings look very nice. Congratulations!

By the way, perhaps one of the best things about this new TCR coming out is that the top level model of the 'old' TCR, with the SL frame, Cadex wheels, Dura Ace 12-speed di2, the works, can now be had for $8100.

(Happy to facilitate if anyone wants one.)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:32 PM

I am looking to test ride one of these.
It has a higher stack but would still need 30mm of stem spacers.
Is this allowed and reasonable?
Old 03-11-2024, 03:40 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Wouldn't this mean replacing the fork with one with a longer steer tube? That would be difficult, as most Giant road bikes require 1-1/4" inch tapered steer tube, which is uncommon.
Have you considered flipping the stem, or getting a stem with a rise? Alternatively, a handlebar with a rise, like the Specialized Hover Bar, would be an elegant way to increase the effective stack while keeping the bike looking and handling sharp.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Wouldn't this mean replacing the fork with one with a longer steer tube? That would be difficult, as most Giant road bikes require 1-1/4" inch tapered steer tube, which is uncommon.
Have you considered flipping the stem, or getting a stem with a rise? Alternatively, a handlebar with a rise, like the Specialized Hover Bar, would be an elegant way to increase the effective stack while keeping the bike looking and handling sharp.
Most new bikes come with a long uncut steering tube and a "spacer tower".
Here is an example:

Flipping the stem is an option that would gain 2cm. That is what I have on my Cannondale. It just does not look as nice as flipped down. Hover bar is an option as well but it limits me to a basic round bar.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
If the question is "are a total of 30mm of spacers under the stem ok" the answer is yes. If you want to add an additional 30 spacers, probably not.