Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 11:02 AM

CGM for Performance

Is anyone experimenting with a Continuous Glucose Monitor?

This is coming more and more into the spotlight with companies like the examples below. Spotting it on quite a few top level athletes. Curious if anyone in the US has found success with it.

https://www.levelshealth.com

https://www.supersapiens.com/en-EN/?us=yes

Last edited by CKT88; 06-13-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: removing CGM abbreviation from post
Old 06-13-2021, 05:20 PM

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have a Dexcom G6 CGM. For me it is incredibly useful because I can see if I'm trending up or down and need to take insulin or eat before I get in to trouble.

Portable CGM measure interstitial fluid and therefore lag about 15 minutes behind actual glucose levels.

Normal non diabetics maintain glucose levels within a few points of 80-85. I can't imagine a normal having high glucose while riding, so the only concern would be to protect from a low, (bonk) , but since it lags 15 minutes behind I suspect it would be too late. At normal glucose levels there is only 10-15 minutes of riding time available before low blood sugar, unless the liver and muscles release glycogen.

I'm skeptical that it would be helpful for normals.

Also, portable CGM's are not all that accurate. When we get a wacky reading they suggest we do a finger stick.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:43 PM

I wear a dexcom as well. As a diabetic it is truly life saving technology. I have mine set up so I can see it on my Garmin which works out really nice. I can’t imagine riding without.

For a non-diabetic, I’ve seen graphs of people wearing them, there is more variability than I would have thought.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I wear a dexcom as well. As a diabetic it is truly life saving technology. I have mine set up so I can see it on my Garmin which works out really nice. I can’t imagine riding without.

For a non-diabetic, I’ve seen graphs of people wearing them, there is more variability than I would have thought.
Really would like to do this but I am not real techie. Assume need to carry a phone.

Steve type 1 54 years, 22 years pumping.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:40 PM

Yes you need to carry your phone. Basically you set up a follower and allow the data field to pull your share data down.

I can help if you want to try, it works pretty good. Sometimes it goes out to lunch and doesn’t update. But it’s nicer than using my Apple Watch while riding and looking at my pump isn’t really a option.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have a Dexcom G6 CGM. For me it is incredibly useful because I can see if I'm trending up or down and need to take insulin or eat before I get in to trouble.

Portable CGM measure interstitial fluid and therefore lag about 15 minutes behind actual glucose levels.

Normal non diabetics maintain glucose levels within a few points of 80-85. I can't imagine a normal having high glucose while riding, so the only concern would be to protect from a low, (bonk) , but since it lags 15 minutes behind I suspect it would be too late. At normal glucose levels there is only 10-15 minutes of riding time available before low blood sugar, unless the liver and muscles release glycogen.

I'm skeptical that it would be helpful for normals.
My best riding buddy has been a type 1 for 30+ years and a long distance brevet rider. He wears a device as above but routinely finger sticks every hour on our rides. I did the finger sticks too and at 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours into a long steady (not easy) ride my values stayed within 90-103 with minimal calorie supplementation ( 3 bidons of Skratch labs drink) during the ride. I can't see it being very useful for normal riders and don't know whether in the midst of big bonk blood glucose actually drops that much (your body does everything it can to be able to send enough glucose to your brain).
-Mike
Old 06-14-2021, 08:23 AM
Ari W

Type 1 for 21 years now, pumping for many of those, Dexcom G6 user. I just got a Hammerhead Karoo 2 and loaded XDrip on it for direct readings and alerts from my G6, this is being done WITHOUT the relay through the phone. I checked out doing Nightscout, but found it easier to connect the Karoo directly to the sensor. Swipe down, and I see my reading and a trend graph.

Having a CGM has saved my cycling and general active life, and I cannot imagine going without. Still though, very skeptical of non-diabetic advantage of these products, just not the same variability.

Ping me if you need help with Karoo 2 and XDrip

-Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Really would like to do this but I am not real techie. Assume need to carry a phone.

Steve type 1 54 years, 22 years pumping.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:11 AM

Ive been using an apple watch to read my g6. Can i use my wahoo elemnt to dislay my bs?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 AM

Good to know about the karoo.

As far as my garmin goes it’s a matter of going into the “app” store and downloading the data field. There was a post on the zwift team type 1 fb page a few weeks back about it, but I don’t remember about the bolt.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:22 AM
Ari W

I tried with my bolt, but there doesn't seem to be a away to bring in the BG data. I really like the bolt, but after too many times trying to wrestle my pump or phone out of my jersey for a BG reading, I was determined to get the data in the right place. Also, XDrip can be customized quickly and easily for alerts, thresholds, etc.

-Ari