Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2021, 08:18 AM

Death ride next month?

Anyone doing it this year? It will be my first and I've never ridden/driven through any of the passes. My normal riding is at 1000ft of elevation(bay area) Words of wisdom for a newbie?

Got some training in at elevation in a couple weeks back (road tioga pass) and felt pretty good still at the end of it.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Ridden the DR the last 10 years in a row and am planning on this year too. Looks a bit easier with the new route, good riddance to the Woodford/Carson last part! Anyway, shoot me a PM and I’ll tell you everything I know.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:29 AM

I did it twice many years ago. Most effective training I found (used it for the second time) was to find the longest climbs in the area (Catskill Mtns.) and climb, descend and repeat until the fifth time up was not a horror show. They don't have to be super steep, just long, as I found the Death Ride climbs to be very long, but not horribly steep for the most part. As to the ride itself, drink a lot, be prepared for sudden changes in temperature and eat as much as you can without getting ill.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
Anyone doing it this year? It will be my first and I've never ridden/driven through any of the passes. My normal riding is at 1000ft of elevation(bay area) Words of wisdom for a newbie?

Got some training in at elevation in a couple weeks back (road tioga pass) and felt pretty good still at the end of it.
Drive to Diablo and try to do it 3 times in a row. If you can do it, then you are good to go. If not, train on Diablo. Elevation kicks in for me at 8,500ft, so I am OK on these. I feel elevation on Sonora and Tioga, especially on Sonora's 15% parts.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poff View Post
Drive to Diablo and try to do it 3 times in a row. If you can do it, then you are good to go. If not, train on Diablo. Elevation kicks in for me at 8,500ft, so I am OK on these. I feel elevation on Sonora and Tioga, especially on Sonora's 15% parts.
this.. and if you can do it this wed/thur/fri/sat in the heat all the better.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:18 PM
Viva Chamucos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poff View Post
Yes. This was always my Mt. Diablo formula as well. When I lived in Mountain View it was two - three times up west Alpine Road including the initial ascent up Moody/Page Mill rd. A stiffer climb than Mt. Diablo but slightly shorter.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:22 AM
Shrimp123

i am gonna try Diablo tomorrow. If i can survive, may be i will look for company to pool there from bay area.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 AM
Registered (ab)User

The missus and I briefly considered it for this year, but as she's still recovering from neck surgery decided it might be premature.

We did the Death Ride in 2010. We arrived at altitude only two or three days before the event. I was fine with the altitude, but she suffered tremendously and struggled through the first four passes, only got into a groove after lunch and going up the final pass.

Ironically, when we did the Triple Bypass ride in 2018, it was exactly the opposite: She was fine (in fact, she crushed that ride!) but the altitude -- or something -- kicked my ass and I just crawled from mile 50 to the end.

Altitude is a weird thing. If we do decide to do the Death Ride again I think we'll try to spend a week at altitude in advance, see if that helps. My sister has a house in Truckee which oughtta make that easier.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:50 AM

The science has recently seemed to come to the consensus that you're better off at altitude with less than 24 hours of acclimatization, or more than 10 days spent at altitude.... So getting up to altitude 2 days, or one week before your event will only be detrimental.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp123 View Post
i am gonna try Diablo tomorrow. If i can survive, may be i will look for company to pool there from bay area.

The group I ride with has 14 people training for the Death ride this year. We did 3x Diablo a couple of weeks back and 2x Ham + Reverse Ham yesterday. The biggest variable is the heat. Both rides were same mileage and elevation gain but yesterday’s ride just about nearly exhausted us. So make sure to rain in and for the heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftjunkie View Post
The group I ride with has 14 people training for the Death ride this year. We did 3x Diablo a couple of weeks back and 2x Ham + Reverse Ham yesterday. The biggest variable is the heat. Both rides were same mileage and elevation gain but yesterday’s ride just about nearly exhausted us. So make sure to rain in and for the heat

Probably saw you as part of the large group I rode up to at the top of Mt Ham yesterday.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:48 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
The science has recently seemed to come to the consensus that you're better off at altitude with less than 24 hours of acclimatization, or more than 10 days spent at altitude.... So getting up to altitude 2 days, or one week before your event will only be detrimental.
Yeah, we'd actually heard exactly that going into the 2010 Death Ride and decided to wing it. The problem then -- as in 2018, and probably as in any future riding at altitude -- is that it's really difficult to plan a short trip that doesn't leave you at altitude but does leave you close enough to get to the start on event day. And long trips aren't really in the cards for us until at least one of us retires.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:44 PM

All of you are taking DR too seriously unless of course you want to beat some kind of time record like finishing in 5hrs. I did Alta Alpine 8 passes once, DR is OK, tough only if it is 100F+ at 7,500ft.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
Probably saw you as part of the large group I rode up to at the top of Mt Ham yesterday.

Yes, it would have been us. The team has been bummed by the DR cancellation this year due to the fires. In order to not let our training go to waste and show our support for the community we are going there over the Labor Day weekend to do it as a self supported ride. Hope the weather and the fires play nice

Old 08-08-2021, 09:58 PM
Shrimp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftjunkie View Post
show our support for the community we are going there over the Labor Day weekend to do it as a self supported ride.
please keep us (me) posted. I will join if my family commitments dont interfere.