Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2021, 05:45 PM

Ride Rec's for Big Bear

Paceliners,

I am going to Big Bear for the weekend in two weeks. We are staying near Moonridge Rd and Big Bear BLVD. We found a couple of 30-40 mile rides on Strava that look promising. I thought I would ask the collective if there is any ride we should be trying to do. Also, any restaurant tips would be very much appreciated

Thank you!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:55 PM
#RYFB

This response will be of close to zero use to you. I'm leading a group ride tomorrow, starting in Redlands, climbing up to Onyx Summit, then around Big Bear Lake and returning via Running Springs. Looks like this.

One of the guys lives out there so I'll try to solicit some more useful information from him, either routes or restaurants or both.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:38 PM

Peppercorn Grille was very good a couple of years ago but who knows how any restaurant has survived/recovered from the shut-downs. They had a parking lot which can be important for dinnertime on Pine Knot.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Peppercorn Grille was very good a couple of years ago but who knows how any restaurant has survived/recovered from the shut-downs. They had a parking lot which can be important for dinnertime on Pine Knot.
That is a very good observation. Who knows what's left after the last year? I guess we will just have to figure it out on our own!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
This response will be of close to zero use to you. I'm leading a group ride tomorrow, starting in Redlands, climbing up to Onyx Summit, then around Big Bear Lake and returning via Running Springs. Looks like this.

One of the guys lives out there so I'll try to solicit some more useful information from him, either routes or restaurants or both.
That looks like a great ride and it makes Big Bear look tiny relative to that route! Have fun.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:22 PM

I like just riding a lap around the lake, just make sure to go in the morning before the traffic. Its a nice ~25 miles for a full lap
Old 06-12-2021, 06:55 PM

Big Bear!

Way back when (20+ years ago) when I was working in Redlands for the summer, I had a day off and did Redlands up to Big Bear...up 38, around on 18, and down 18/330 to Highland (?) and then meandered back to Redlands.

This was on a first generation Cadex with Shimano 105. 7 speed? 8 speed? Carbon tubes bonded to al. lugs. Stock. 52/42 with a 12/23? Alum. (bonded) fork.

In any case, I was in my early 20s. Fit. Or at least with some knee cartilage. More heart than brains back then.

That descent took me close to discovering my mortal coil. Bikes have come a long way since.

Still one of my favorite rides...

m_b
Old 06-12-2021, 07:44 PM

What is your skill level, where are you starting, how far do you want to go?

Look at the grizzly 100 route.

Oh yeah road or MTB? I’m at big bear right now lol.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:42 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
That looks like a great ride and it makes Big Bear look tiny relative to that route! Have fun.
It was a nice ride, though we had a group with really varying ability so spent a lot of time waiting (6:20 ride time, 2+ hrs idle). The local guy wasn't able to join so I didn't gather any local knowledge.

Since we did half the loop around the lake, I can see that would be a nice ride if you were just looking to get out and move your legs, nothing challenging but lovely scenery. I don't know where the convenient turnaround point would be, but continuing on 18 (Rim of the World) would be a really nice addition -- rolling terrain, nice wide shoulder, just be aware of when it starts to descend since it gets fast and narrow quickly, you definitely need to take the lane. Sorry for the scant info but that's all I got.