Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2021, 09:43 PM

Bummer , I guess that guy will be lost without his data and not able to make the Tour de France team.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Ray should just buy a Powertap G3 hub, Saris provides wonderful support for that product.
He probably has 10 of them already.

He's got 10 of everything.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
Actually, if you REALLY want crank based....you buy an SRM...STILL...This article is exactly why...

I have about 15 racers that are still using the ones supplied to them 8 years ago, and other than battery changes, they are just like a timex.... One rider has over 50,000 miles on his....yup...

There is SRM, and then there is everything else...
@StephenCL

So... not to derails the thread, but I'd like to hear more about this.
I am a long time SRM user as well, in fact I am still running a wired SRM that works great.

However I am getting a new bike and decided to go with a Powerbox, since it seems like the other players have more or less caught to SRM, and I don't see the value anymore in paying more up front plus $150 a year (or 2) to change the battery, plus the hassle of sending it to Colorado.
So having said all that, I am curious why you think that SRM is still worth the price and hassle?
This isn't meant to start a argument, I am genuinely interested in haring your thoughts.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:48 PM
50 bpm

Who knew Japan had the most 7-Elevens in the world?
Old 06-11-2021, 06:22 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Who knew Japan had the most 7-Elevens in the world?
Everyone that's been to Japan
Old 08-10-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
Actually, if you REALLY want crank based....you buy an SRM...STILL...This article is exactly why...

I have about 15 racers that are still using the ones supplied to them 8 years ago, and other than battery changes, they are just like a timex.... One rider has over 50,000 miles on his....yup...

There is SRM, and then there is everything else...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg animated.point.up.response.jpg (8.7 KB, 258 views)
Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I don't see the value anymore in paying more up front plus $150 a year (or 2) to change the battery, plus the hassle of sending it to Colorado
Every year or two? How many miles are you doing? I've had mine going on 4 years now, and haven't sent it back yet. $150 includes what service? Shipping? Upgrade to latest firmware?
Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I agree that running a platform isn’t cheap but do think Ray makes a good point about how piss poor the communication is/was to Pioneer customers. Ok, fine, you wanna shut it down and not support it anymore, I get it. However, how about a well written email/communication to give specific dates and actions to preserve historical data and set forth the status quo going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might have come out of shimano, USA but not w/o shimano-Japan's approval. shimano Japan is a YUGE business and doesn't really care about such things. If they did, they wouldn't completely redesign some gadget, and make it completely incompatible with the previous 'generation'..of just about everything..hubs come to mind..or cart bearing headsets.

shimano is all about manufacturing, and the bottom line. They buy something, see it as non profitable, they kill it..next project.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:23 AM

One of my Stages PMs just disappeared and isn't registering as of a ride ago.

Seeing this reminds me I am thinking if it actually broke it's not getting replaced maybe I ditch PMs completely. (I have one other I could sell.)

Mine might just be the battery, but usually the Garmin will give a low battery alert well before the PM just shuts off.

It was actually refreshing to ride without it, last ride was one of my longest of the season and it was nice to just not care and ride by feel.