Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2021, 07:30 AM

Help me get a grasp of quasi-race events

I've been thinking about participation in a gravel event. I'm not sure it is a great fit but I'm kind of been looking to break free from the monotony of riding alone over the same routes. It might be nice to get out of my bubble and experience what the region has to offer(NE) and of course, challenge myself.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off just poaching course data and riding these places solo or if i'd enjoy doing the event.

Me: I ran competitively in college, spent mid my 20's-30's competing at elite level triathlon, duathlon and endless 10k road races. I've ridden countless weekly group rides and a fair share of fundraising bike events in my younger days.

I'm now 62. I like to think my skills are competent but have never connected with the cycling scene since moving to the east coast 30 years ago so for better or worse I ride solo and in all honesty, I'm fine with that. I'm just wondering if having periodic event to "train for" would add some vigor to the same old same old.

Anybody feel like sharing? What has been your experience with cycling events? What are some of the pros & cons? good the bad and the ugly?

Would this be a good fit for a vegetarian with social skills of a house plant, who doesnt camp or drink alcohol. would I get something out of this kind of thing or what? TMI. lol

Pretty sure my biggest concern is I'll go shooting for a good age group finish only to get pissed dealing with fustercluckery.

Last edited by cuda; 08-10-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:34 AM

Try it you might like it.

Ornot.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 AM

have you?
Old 08-10-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
have you?
Yes I have done a handful of them and I find them enjoyable in that it's a new route with a group feel dynamic but exactly zero pressure to ride anything but my own ride.

The pic is from The "Little Apple" ride in Manhattan Il

These events are pretty easy going if you want them to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 158F31B9-7CCC-4334-8D18-B7F0342AAAD7.jpg (106.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 08-10-2021, 07:51 AM

A well-run fundraising event with gazillion riders can be fun. They aren't races (tho' some will treat then as such), people spread out, a bunch of enthusiasts congregate, and you meet some cool people and see some amazing bikes.

The one that stands out to me in our region is D2R2. Alas I don't drink the beer at the end because of low alcohol tolerance and the fact that I'm going to drive home! The on-course camaraderie is fun, lunch at the river is a treat, and it's for a good cause.

Otherwise, I do virtually all my road riding solo.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:52 AM

good to know + great pic! Thanks Charlie.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:55 AM

I like them. There's a local gravel ride/event run on roads that are the same roads I ride all the time that I do each year and they make a good time out of it. Always end up riding with some new people, the aid stations are nice, and there's 500 other riders out on the course enjoying the day. Its nice and the ride goes by quick.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
good to know + great pic! Thanks Charlie.
To add to thais....I have also done a pile of mountain bike events as well and one of my signature plays had been to purposefully start last.

If you are not racing it's not a race or even a sport really, it's just outdoor recreation to me.

Have fun.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:00 AM

I say go for it. I'm 54 and try to do at least a couple mtb races a year. Pros: Gives you a goal to shoot for. Dirt events are typically a little more laid back atmosphere wise. Fitness is a great thing regardless of age. You might actually enjoy it!! Cons: Cost to enter, travel to the event. Potential for crashing. But that's the case anytime you toss a leg over a bike. Realizing your not as fast as you thought you were! Anyway, I'd give at least one event a try. If it doesn't work out then you know you have your regular satisfying routine to fall back on.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:00 AM

This is a great topic and one I've been thinking a lot about lately. I'm 55 and similar to you I ride mostly alone. That said, I've raced Mountain bikes, road and Cyclocross. I sucked at all three.

You specifically mentioned gravel events. Through the years I've really enjoyed the gravel events/races that I have done. To give you an idea I've done the following events here in the NE. D2R2, The Black Fly Challenge, Farmers Daughter, Vermont Overland to name a few.

The best parts about these events for me has always been about the camaraderie with like minded individuals. You will always have a population or riders at the event who are serious racers and will be looking to be at the front. I'm not that person and never will be. When I ride these events I like to push myself but I don't let my ego get the best of me. I would much rather meet riders on the course and just talk to people. I like to ride hard but I know my limits.

I love the after party and hanging out with my fellow cyclist. You mention that you are vegetarian. I am vegan and finding something to eat at the post ride celebration is sometimes a challenge but it never deters me from an event.

Sure you could just poach the ride data but I think the enjoyment, for me at least, is challenging myself on the course with my fellow cyclist. Hope this helps make your decision. I say give it a try!
Old 08-10-2021, 08:11 AM

Thanks,
the Farmers Daughter, Vermont Overland entries for sale in the classified is what has me thinking. I'm leaning toward the Vermont Overland. Any specific advice. I'm not a camper so I'd probably make a 3 day weekend out of it.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:15 AM

also, I appreciate all the comments about just going for the fun and camaraderie and dialing back the desire to compete. I'm kind of hardwired that way so this could be a good challenge on more than one level.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 AM

Ditto on the hardwired to compete. I am the same way. To be honest I do get caught up in it if I get in a group that is my speed. Nothing wrong with it. I just accept that I am getting older and slower and it's not about the results anymore. I have to remind myself of that at times.

The Vermont Overland is a great event! It is super challenging because of all of the climbing but it is such a beautiful ride. Woodstock VT is a great town and there should be numerous Air BnB locations. My wife and I are RV campers. She doesn't ride but we have stayed at a nearby campground when I have done the event. I say go for that one if you can. You likely have to wait until next year to get a spot as I think they are sold out.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:35 AM

I ride solo 95% of the time and enjoy the occasional charity/non competitive events. They are nice to get out and feel a bit accomplished once finished whie enjoying some live entertainment, beer, food and company of others who share our passion for bicycles.

The northeast has some excellent riding and there seems to be a never ending amount of gravel rides popping up all over. If you have the time and just want to check out some awesome NYS gravel and roads check out Dirtphalt thrown by cny rider. Always great company and riding.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM

I used to love road races, crits and especially CX, the attraction was the challenges related to specific kinds of fitness, speed and adrenaline rush of competing for position within a pack and tactics of trying to be first to the line.

The "not a race" races and competitive group rides I have participated in have been mostly disappointing, from the lack of clear rules and objectives that are key components of sanctioned races, to the abundance of Type A idiots with more testosterone than common sense mixed in with newbies. I've come away from some events and semi-organized "training rides" with the attitude that most cyclists are Aholes. And of course that's not true, but certain events seem to showcase the ones who are. I would have preferred to steal the cue sheets and just do the rides on my own or with a small group of friends.

With age, my racing days are behind me, I can't/don't want to engage in the structured and disciplined training that would be necessary to pin a number on. Plus, old bones break easier. I mostly ride alone but I miss riding with friends and MAMILS so I look forward to getting back to some of that as vax rates increase. I have no interest in "competitive", non-race events. But I'm starting a new chapter, distance. Long rides always scared me BITD. Road races were never more than 80-100miles max, same with training rides. At age 60 I'm looking to push my distance limits with randonneuring. I've done a few 200k rides on my own, 300k, 400k seem scary but maybe doable. 600k seems impossible but I keep thinking about it. I'm liking the idea of rando as turning competitive riding into cooperative group riding with a different, but equally difficult (for me anyway) set of challenges as racing was in my past.