Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Boo. Peacock app is only available on a 2017 or later Samsung tv that has Airplay? No native app available. Also just figured out HBO Max doesn't either though I realize this is OT. How often do TVs date out of being supported by newer apps anyway?
Just use Roku or other device.

Jeff
Old 06-12-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Boo. Peacock app is only available on a 2017 or later Samsung tv that has Airplay? No native app available. Also just figured out HBO Max doesn't either though I realize this is OT. How often do TVs date out of being supported by newer apps anyway?

Would never rely on a TV for streaming TV. The ground is still moving on streaming TV and streaming companies are not going to chase around making apps for all the different TV’s out there.
As there different levels of hardware in each brand as well as the price level.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:43 AM

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mar...our-de-france/

Apparently there is some discussion of sending Cavendish to the tour de France, but he is protesting at his current minimum salary.

This seems like a tricky situation, his sprinting form doesn't seem bad this year, but who knows if he has the strength to finish a 3-week tour. The article talks a lot about the challenge of contracts, but really unsaid I think it's just a concern that he'd missed the time cut on an early mountain stage.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
Would never rely on a TV for streaming TV. The ground is still moving on streaming TV and streaming companies are not going to chase around making apps for all the different TV’s out there.
As there different levels of hardware in each brand as well as the price level.
Maybe, though aren't they making apps for all of the streaming devices like Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, or Firestick? Looking at new tvs, I see some brands have Roku built in, but not brands I'd consider.

Sigh..looks like I'll need to add another remote to the coffee table.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:07 PM

Problem with built in app’s is the TV will last longer than the processor and size of the storage built into the TV.
I use AppleTV’s as I can run any streaming app and a over the air TV recorder like Channels.

https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/

Allowing me to access video from where I want.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
Problem with built in app’s is the TV will last longer than the processor and size of the storage built into the TV.
I use AppleTV’s as I can run any streaming app and a over the air TV recorder like Channels.

https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/

Allowing me to access video from where I want.
So, just got a Roku Express delivered. Will do the Peacock thing I suppose. But now you have me wondering.

Will the TdF be available on demand any time after or during the each day's event, or only viewable live as it occurs, and with no current way to record, if I miss it, I miss it?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
So, just got a Roku Express delivered. Will do the Peacock thing I suppose. But now you have me wondering.

Will the TdF be available on demand any time after or during the each day's event, or only viewable live as it occurs, and with no current way to record, if I miss it, I miss it?
Replays will be available.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Samsung just rolled out a Peacock app Thursday or Friday. I don't do airplay, however my tv is a 2020 or 2019 model. Not sure if that helps.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:22 PM

So apparently there is no actual firestick app for Peacock Premium Plus. Would have to use a sideload app, which kinda freaks me out. Works on my iPhone and iPad, could hdmi it to a TV, but am hoping they come out with a firestick app sooner rather than later, just more convenient. NBC has the technology, as Sports Gold had a firestick app.

Based on weirdness/difficulty getting information on how how buy and use the doggone thing, suspect this was a rather rushed affair. Or just badly done.

Time will tell.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:53 AM

So after dithering around the past couple weeks worrying about how to watch the tour this year I happened to search the upcoming programming on DirecTV channel 220 which is NBCSN and low and behold the Tour popped up with the normal pre-race show and full stage one beginning 6/26. Makes sense since you can search up to 14 days in advance. It's why I've been waiting to decide what to do. Whew, now I can kick the issue down the road until next summer or at least later this year. We can only get DHL internet at my house which is borderline for streaming from what I gather. So good news I think for anyone hoping to watch the old fashioned way on NBCSN this summer. Understood the channel is gone 12/31/21...
Old 06-15-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Unfortunately, most Americans who get a shot at the world tour get it through Vaughters' team, which is the fastest way to derail a promising career.
Maybe a bit harsh? Given the budget EF has compared to the bigger teams I believe they’re often punching above their weight.

I believe Pogacar and Rodgic will battle for one/two.

I don’t see Thomas as stronger than Carapaz at the moment, if they work together one could and should be on the podium and given the depth of the team, if they work as a team, could win it. Any infighting and the podium disappears.

A lot of very young and exciting riders to watch. As exciting a rider Alaphilippe is, I hope it doesn’t turn into an Apaphilippe highlight show. French TV sure loves him.

I hope we see the same type of open aggressive racing that we’ve seen so far this season. I cannot remember a year with so many exciting and unpredictable outcomes.

After watching Netflix’s season two on Moviestar I can now see how riders don’t want to go to the Tour vs the Giro or Vuelta with the mental, emotional, and physical toll. The articles on Cavendish where he states plainly he’s not being paid enough to go through that pressure also makes the point. It’s a lose-lose situation for him with it only being a success if he wins a stage and even then the press would still bring up The Record.

As long as Vinokurov is connected to Astana I cannot cheer for any rider on that team. An unwarranted bias maybe.

I cannot wait!
Old 06-15-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
So after dithering around the past couple weeks worrying about how to watch the tour this year I happened to search the upcoming programming on DirecTV channel 220 which is NBCSN and low and behold the Tour popped up with the normal pre-race show and full stage one beginning 6/26. Makes sense since you can search up to 14 days in advance. It's why I've been waiting to decide what to do. Whew, now I can kick the issue down the road until next summer or at least later this year. We can only get DHL internet at my house which is borderline for streaming from what I gather. So good news I think for anyone hoping to watch the old fashioned way on NBCSN this summer. Understood the channel is gone 12/31/21...
NBCSN is what I always do (just Spectrum cable though). I assumed this was not an option this year because everyone has been saying "Peacock". Does TdF show up on 6/27 as well for day 2, etc?
Old 06-15-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
NBCSN is what I always do (just Spectrum cable though). I assumed this was not an option this year because everyone has been saying "Peacock". Does TdF show up on 6/27 as well for day 2, etc?
NBC sports Network on regular television exists through this year. Peacock is replacing NBC sports live Gold, the online streaming platform as of this current tour de France.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Ad-free Peacock Premium Plus, $9.99/month. Figure I'll subscribe for that coverage during the TdF and in October for Paris-Roubaix. Otherwise, I'll stick with the $4.99 Premium coverage and suffer through some commercials.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...9&postcount=10

Greg
Are you sure it's ad free? I checked today and the said some programs have ads.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Looks like they are using day 1 to tell you that Peacock is the only option.
Closed Thread