Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 06:22 AM

Riding in Piscataway NJ area?

Heading down this weekend with daughter for soccer tournament she’ll be playing in. Plan to bring my road bike and explore the area.

Looking to the collective paceline grp here for any suggestions you may have. Rides likely not longer than a 40m loop. Be staying at some Embassy hotel down there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:41 AM

The area right around your hotel would not be a great area to ride - busy suburban sprawl. Having said that, if you can find some safe roads heading west, there is some really good riding to be had going towards Neshanic, Hopewell and the Sourlands.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:05 AM

I used to commute by bike to Centennial Ave not far from your Hotel.

Here is my take, you are on the wrong side of the Raritan if you want to avoid the sprawl and traffic. An easy ride would be to take the Weston D/R Canal Road down to Princeton and back, should be around 35 miles. If you want to go into Princeton, cross the canal at Rocky Hill and make your way to princeton on back roads that way. I wouldn't recommend RT 27 but it is doable. To get to the canal IIRC, you have to go North on River into Bound Brook and then a left onto Lincoln Bvd and then a very quick left onto a road that crosses the Raritan river, once you get across the canal road is on your right but there is some navigating. Here is a ride that goes right by your hotel, very flat and easily navigated

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/551860

If you want hills, you need to go West but the good stuff starts around 10 miles from your hotel making a 40 mile loop impractical. Far Hills, Bedminister, Oldwick, etc.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:56 AM
VAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I used to commute by bike to Centennial Ave not far from your Hotel.

Here is my take, you are on the wrong side of the Raritan if you want to avoid the sprawl and traffic. An easy ride would be to take the Weston D/R Canal Road down to Princeton and back, should be around 35 miles. If you want to go into Princeton, cross the canal at Rocky Hill and make your way to princeton on back roads that way. I wouldn't recommend RT 27 but it is doable. To get to the canal IIRC, you have to go North on River into Bound Brook and then a left onto Lincoln Bvd and then a very quick left onto a road that crosses the Raritan river, once you get across the canal road is on your right but there is some navigating. Here is a ride that goes right by your hotel, very flat and easily navigated

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/551860

If you want hills, you need to go West but the good stuff starts around 10 miles from your hotel making a 40 mile loop impractical. Far Hills, Bedminister, Oldwick, etc.
This.

I did something similar a few years back. If you want some inspiration:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=princeton
Old 06-09-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Heading down this weekend with daughter for soccer tournament she’ll be playing in. Plan to bring my road bike and explore the area.

Looking to the collective paceline grp here for any suggestions you may have. Rides likely not longer than a 40m loop. Be staying at some Embassy hotel down there.

Thanks in advance.

I think like others have already recommended. You can take river road and head towards green brook or Warren. Some really good riding there or go towards sourland which is also v good place for some riding. If you want a longer ride head towards lambertville from 206.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Since a few of you mentioned that hotel is not best location to start from, where might I drive to & park to begin ride - say 5miles+/- from hotel?
Old 06-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Assuming you meant Embassy Suites, I'd go with Colonial Park in Franklin

From there, it's about one mile onto Canal Road / Towpath or five miles from the Sourlands
Old 06-09-2021, 06:22 PM

You can start right at six mile run parking lot or the lot on Jacques lane. I will send you some links from my ride with gps you can modify to suite your needs/time. Best to head towards the skill man, hopewell, sourlands area. Rolling terrain in those parts but some of the best riding in NJ in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
You can start right at six mile run parking lot or the lot on Jacques lane. I will send you some links from my ride with gps you can modify to suite your needs/time. Best to head towards the skill man, hopewell, sourlands area. Rolling terrain in those parts but some of the best riding in NJ in my opinion.
i agree with this guy. the sourlands are pretty great for riding!
Old 06-09-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Definitely good riding. I thought OP did not have a car. Good choice.

I used to stop at Brick Oven farms in Hopewell for lunch or just an Latte almost every day on rides. Starting at Six Mile Run cuts out the suburban sprawl. I used to ride from East Brunswick out to those roads and hop down to Lambertville for the Espresso back in the day.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 PM

Oh crud I didn’t realize you weren’t going to have a car. Cutting through New Brunswick and Franklin isn’t the worst. Just have to avoid the Easton/George street/ downtown areas. I will put together a couple of routes tonight a link them up. Flat options would be to stay on river to rocky hill or Princeton. I have a historic Lindbergh route that goes past the actual Lindbergh house and the field where the baby was eventually found. From you I would guess it would be in the 60 ish miles. Some good hills in it too.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:32 PM

Probably a longer ride than what you want, but I enjoyed most of these roads: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26592052 .
Old 06-10-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Hank, I will have a car so can drive to one of those lots to get started. Look forward to seeing your routes.

Again, thanks one and all for the tips.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Assuming you meant Embassy Suites, I'd go with Colonial Park in Franklin

From there, it's about one mile onto Canal Road / Towpath or five miles from the Sourlands
This is the best advice, even if the driving distance from your hotel to Colonial Park probably is more than 5 miles. If you try this, here's a pretty good 40 mile Sourlands route to Hopewell. The first 8 miles on Amwell Road are not awesome but it's fine especially if you are going early in the morning. Starting at mile 9, the rest is very lovely.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36366005
Old 06-10-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Probably a longer ride than what you want, but I enjoyed most of these roads: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26592052 .
Yup - cannot go wrong in that part of Jersey.