Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Ritchey, bless their hearts, have an engineering drawing of this fork on their web site. I drew in a 650bx48 tire and it looks as though clearances are sufficient, and that a 42 tire will work fine with a fender too. Thanks!
Glad to be of help!
(Frankly, I had contacted Carl last summer about building a frame with this fork in mind...but haven’t yet committed).
Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:

I also know that much has changed in the past 45 years, but some fundamental physics hasn't. We learned a lot in this project at MIT in '73-74 that I believe hasn't changed.
That is a great piece of history. The litigation part is fascinating. Harris is my LBS, still a pleasure to read Sheldon’s pieces...
Old 01-05-2021, 07:40 PM

Six hour video deposition. Lotta other stories to tell but not in public!

My sister, who after MIT went to Harvard B School so much wiser in the ways of the world warned me that they could subpoena my bike and keep it for years while the case dragged on, so I stuck it in a friend's barn in VT which kept it out of reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
That is a great piece of history. The litigation part is fascinating. Harris is my LBS, still a pleasure to read Sheldon’s pieces...
Old 01-05-2021, 07:42 PM

When you say run a TA, which model? I started out with a Cyclotouriste but those rings had a lot of runout which with friction shifting didn't matter, but with indexed not so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
Perhaps the Rene Herse wide range double using the rings you want? It may or may not jive with your build aesthetically but it seems like the perfect product for the tooth counts you desire. I also run a TA 44-28 and 11-34t situation on my 700x35 road bike and I love it.

KJ
Old 01-05-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
When you say run a TA, which model? I started out with a Cyclotouriste but those rings had a lot of runout which with friction shifting didn't matter, but with indexed not so great.
Well actually it's the Velo Orange 50.4BCD one with (non-ramped) TA rings. Rings are very straight and it actually shifts nicely with modern 10/11spd brifters. But maybe my definition of great is different than that of some others' :-P

Never owned the RH set but I imagine it is about as hewn-from-solid as you'll find.

KJ
Old 01-05-2021, 08:53 PM

If you want a more modern option than the Rene Herse or TA, you can cobble something together from SRAM by using their crankarms with the changeable spiders. 130mm doubles, 110mm doubles, or even down to a 48-32 or a 42-28 spider. They may go lower than that; I'm not sure.

If you're willing to go with a square taper bottom bracket, you could also pick up a go with an older 94mm BCD mountain bike crankset and just run it as a double.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 PM

I have what I call the Mark McM Sram Spider Hack on my dropbar Litespeec 26er, running 42-28 on Force 22 cranks. And I also have a 9 speed XT MTB crankset with a 94 BCD in the drawer. So yes, options exist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
If you want a more modern option than the Rene Herse or TA, you can cobble something together from SRAM by using their crankarms with the changeable spiders. 130mm doubles, 110mm doubles, or even down to a 48-32 or a 42-28 spider. They may go lower than that; I'm not sure.

If you're willing to go with a square taper bottom bracket, you could also pick up a go with an older 94mm BCD mountain bike crankset and just run it as a double.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 PM

I think it's kind of wild that a company like Seven, with more useful experience than just about anyone in Ti production and design, has little lead time.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
I think it's kind of wild that a company like Seven, with more useful experience than just about anyone in Ti production and design, has little lead time.
I think they've just got the most people working. Something like two dozen people work there. I'd wager than No22 or Firefly have about a half dozen. And it doesn't really matter how many people you've got if you only have one welder, Seven probably has at least 4.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
I think they've just got the most people working. Something like two dozen people work there. I'd wager than No22 or Firefly have about a half dozen. And it doesn't really matter how many people you've got if you only have one welder, Seven probably has at least 4.
Yeah, you would just expect that four welders mean four times the business as one welder.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Five weeks from my initial fit to frame delivery with Seven and the frame is absolutely flawless. (Not a dig from the ‘other’ thread...!)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

Which spiders for a SRAM crankset allow for a 28t? Are you referring to that 110/74 custom one (made by Engin I think?).

The smallest ring on a 94BCD spider is 29t IIRC. I have tried the old 94BCD MTB crankset-as-double route in the past using Ritchey Logic Compact and vintage White Industries arms but the q-factor was way too wide. Perhaps on a bike with fat Ti chainstays and wide tires it would be perfect for the OP.

The White Industries line and Sugino OX series also come to mind.

KJ
Old 01-06-2021, 12:50 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Terrific news about the new inbound titanium bicycle! Bravo to you.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Five weeks from my initial fit to frame delivery with Seven and the frame is absolutely flawless. (Not a dig from the ‘other’ thread...!)
I used to work for a Seven dealer. That brand has my full support.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I used to work for a Seven dealer. That brand has my full support.
I have two Seven frames, one 19 yrs old and the other 8. Both are excellent and I could not see how they could be improved. I am surprised so many seem to pick other brands with MUCH longer lead times. I guess the pull of a smaller shop has some appeal that has more to do with image than the final output. So many great Ti frames to choose from these days.

Tim