Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2021, 07:46 PM

Bumping this

I've been trying to hold off until there's a 16" M1 laptop, but my needs seem to be out of sync with my timeline.

So...who's been using M1's for a while now? What models? Performance in realtime use compared to other Macs? And what kind of work are you using 'em for.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:03 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I'll chime in. 8 core 512GB MacBook Air with the M1 and 16GB of ram. Zero complaints about the machine, only complaint is the 30w charger it comes with instead of a 45w. However, it has been unstoppable, battery life is out of this world.

That's me coming from a 2018 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB of ram and 4GB of 560X graphics. This 13" air out performs even the maxed out 16" with 64GB of ram at 1/5 of the cost.

The air is ultra portable, quiet, and fast as hell. Might be worth waiting for the M1X models or whatever are coming, but this is the biggest jump in computing power I've experienced since....forever.

Workload - big excel files, 8-10 browser tabs, medium code builds and stress tests moving large amounts of data around.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:53 PM

I have the 13" MBP M1.

It's not immediately obvious how different it is...except once you start running things like the image processing stuff - it's loads faster.

If you run scientific stuff; that is not yet 100% available yet as people work on compiling the open source stuff for ARM

No off-the-shelf virtual machines yet - Parallels and VMWARe working on it but if you're technical, you can do it via the built in hypervisor. At the moment, for my Windows stuff, I'm just running it in the cloud via Azure or RDP'ing into one of the windows desktops I have lying around.

Also - I haven't recharged the battery since last week...it's absolutely insane....
Old 01-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 06-06-2021, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Bumping this one more time. How are folks doing with the new M1 processor? I've kind of dragged my feet on this but it's time to finally do it. Leaning toward the 13" MBP and thinking of having a seperate monitor available at the house for when I would like a little more visual realestate.

Ready to take the leap!

W.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:08 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Announcement tomorrow from apple so I’d wait for that.
However, my M1 MacBook Air is still unstoppable. Zero complaints.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I dunno William, dudes like me can talk 13" but when it comes down to it I like the extra 2". Don't ban me for trashtalk, my fragile ego couldn't stand the strain.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Bumping this one more time. How are folks doing with the new M1 processor? I've kind of dragged my feet on this but it's time to finally do it. Leaning toward the 13" MBP and thinking of having a seperate monitor available at the house for when I would like a little more visual realestate.

Ready to take the leap!

W.
Wife, because of a paper work/email odyssey(long story), could not get it done on her ipad..so she(we) bought a 13inch MBP and gad zooks, what a machine..not only a breeze with the piles of work she had to do..well...I have an ipad and desk top..gotta find a way to either grab hers or buy one for me..amazing all around.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:34 AM

Don't rush out and buy anything just yet. A new *M2* MacBook Pro is expected to be announced today:

https://www.cnet.com/news/wwdc-2021-...ct-from-apple/

The new MacBook Pro might have a bigger screen (we'll see), which would be better for William's video editing.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Good to hear about the Air. I will be waiting anxiously for the WWDC opening announcements, Apple card ready to spend $$. Probably go with the smaller MBP and spend $$ on a nice monitor. Hope the rumors are true that it will bring back ports like HDMI etc which are present on my 2014 MBP.

I ordered the new iMac on April 30 maxed out with RAM and bigger SSD. It will arrive tomorrow and will post a review on it.

William I will echo what has been said. If you have waited this long hang in there to see what new hardware might be coming.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Don't rush out and buy anything just yet. A new *M2* MacBook Pro is expected to be announced today:

https://www.cnet.com/news/wwdc-2021-...ct-from-apple/

The new MacBook Pro might have a bigger screen (we'll see), which would be better for William's video editing.
Farck. My wife's Air **** the bed last week and I ordered a new (refurbed) M1 on Thursday. Oh well, she will be very happy with the upgrade in performance from her '15 model. My guess is that the M2 will be more expensive than the M1, right.

I've got a Mac mini and another Air that will want to be upgraded at some point, probably the mini first...that one is my desktop machine, and the extra horsepower will be appreciated...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-07-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
Probably go with the smaller MBP and spend $$ on a nice monitor. Hope the rumors are true that it will bring back ports like HDMI etc which are present on my 2014 MBP.
I bought a 38" curved Dell monitor last year and *love* it. The extra screen real estate is wonderful...

Oh, and sitting next to that is a company supplied 27" monitor. Normally, the large monitor is connected to my company computer and the 27" to my personal...but I can reconfigure either monitor so that both are running off one box. That's a lot of screen.

And I use a KVM switch so that I only need one keyboard on my desk...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-07-2021, 09:43 AM

Have no real input here and likely its been said all rdy perhaps but i use to love my macbook pro from 2015 or so. Now i have a macbook air and its not bad nor slow but the new keyboards suck in comparison (imo).

Maybe macbooks pros have a better feeling keyboard still an its just the air modells that got what im using, cant remember. But It takes away a lot from the user experience imo.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM

Macbook keyboards from the last few years that use the butterfly keyboard have a reputation of being sucky. The latest versions of both the pro and air have a new style keyboard and are said to be much improved.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:31 AM

ipad pro with m1 and magic mouth, no need for anything else.