Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Being a 20 year NJ resident and recent cyclist my rides have been confined to non-rural routes in Bergen and Essex county. Based on this thread, this Sunday I drove 1 hour south-west to the Sourland area. What an experience. Virtually no traffic and basically had 90% of the route to myself. As Van Morrison would say - "this place is the berries". A totally different riding experience.

Making it more noteworthy was the high concentration of emergent cicadas in the area - the noise was incredibly loud. When I got out of my car I thought there was some strange construction going on - the surrounding hum was that loud. After my 3+ hours out in that environment, when I got back in my car and shut the door I could not believe the contrast. Like going from row 2 of a heavy metal live concert to a trappist monastery.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:21 AM

So appreciate everyone’s suggestions of where to ride when I was in that area over the weekend.

As it turned out, never did get that ride in as daughter’s soccer playoffs consumed A LOT of time! Then there were the after game get togethers with team mates etc that I had to accompany - drive her to, etc etc.

In the end, we had much fun and will have many fond memories of this weekend.

As many can likely appreciate, having raised and launched two kids already, this daughter is the last one and I know I only have a couple of more extremely short years with her before she leaves the nest as well. These times are special ones and need to treasure them. I’ll have plenty of time to ride in future, God and Spirits willing.