Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2022, 06:53 PM

Shouldn't this thread start with "OT"?
Old 11-23-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I wish I could say the same. Quite a bit of retention (~0.3 g) even when humidity is 40% or above.

Still, I like it, but I just don't quite get the hype...
I have one of the early kickstarter units, which has been in daily use for what...3years, mainly for espresso. Wife drinks a decaf so it's able to move between two...easy and reproducible ...the latter can't be over stressed.

I think the "hype" would probably be that at the time, it was "the little engine that could" w.r.t. single dose, low retention grinders. Up until then, to get what the Niche promised, you were looking at a weber/Monolith beast at 3-4x the cost. Hence my purchase.

I can highly recommend. The construction is not p64 level, but it's certainly not cheap by any means. I've been super pleased.

It's conical, so that may sway you depending on what you like to drink. I prefer flat for pour over coffees, but for the espresso I drink, the conical burrs are just the thing.

Last edited by crankles; 11-23-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:56 PM

I’ve only used sub $150 grinders. Do any of these other grinders deal w static any better?
Old 11-23-2022, 09:15 PM

Have an encore grinder and it works well except for static retension which creates a mess when pulling out the drawer. Hard to believe that this design flaw hasn't been addressed, shouldn't be hard to do.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:17 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
Shouldn't this thread start with "OT"?
Huh?? Are you new? Definitely not off-topic!

Pretty sure I have never started a ride without coffee first....never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
It will help if you mention what is the intended use? Drip, pour-over, immersion, or espresso? For espresso, low retention and lots of adjustment flex is pretty much a must. For espresso I use a manual grinder. Pretty much zero retention and super adjustable burs, 1Zpresso J Max.
Mostly pour over for now.....espresso machine died last year. Replacing that is next on list......no cold brew, vacuum, immersion (whatever that is....), etc.....

Last edited by Ozz; 12-02-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:10 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
I’ve only used sub $150 grinders. Do any of these other grinders deal w static any better?
Not really, I still have static with my p64 although its greatly reduced if I RDT.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:53 AM

I have a Baratza virtuoso, older model. Works great for everything from French press to espresso. I like Baratza because you can replace pretty much all the parts. Which I have done.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:54 AM

Oh dang, that Niche thing is wild. We have a loud AF Cuisinart which... get the job done. Realistically looking at probably the Fellow grinder as it's more in our budget, but a friend has a Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder which is very, very nice.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:04 AM

Is this a starter grinder?

The Baratza Encore is often pointed to as a first grinder for around $140. Good, solid piece with replacable parts. Of course, you can always spend more.....
Old 11-24-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Mostly pour over for now.....espresso machine died last year. Replacing that is next on list......no cold brew, vacuum, immersion (whatever that is....), etc.....
Immersion makes really good coffee too, 1-2 mins brew, drain. and brewers are inexpensive. Examples are Hario Switch and the Clever brewers.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:27 AM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Is this a starter grinder?

The Baratza Encore is often pointed to as a first grinder for around $140. Good, solid piece with replacable parts. Of course, you can always spend more.....
i have the same one, def on the budget end but has been grinding every am for over two years. no “static” prob with the plastic hopper, maybe bc i grind a bit coarser for a french press, idk.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:35 AM

The static issue is at least in part the coarseness and roast being used but also (maybe mostly) the roast. Darker the roast the more oil, the less static IME

Using a Baratza Encore and rare that I have much of an issue with static.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:39 AM
aka RAEKWON

When I had a hopper and the Eureka there was not really any static, now with single dose there is a bit but with RDT is not notable.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Immersion makes really good coffee too, 1-2 mins brew, drain. and brewers are inexpensive. Examples are Hario Switch and the Clever brewers.
Just watched a video on the Hario......looks like a similar brew/extraction method as you'd get with an Aeropress, which also makes great coffee....
Old 11-24-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Interesting to see differing first hand opinions.

It's such a good looking grinder but I've always read mixed opinions.

I also thought some of the coffee intelligentsia considered the Niche stronger in some areas and weaker in others in terms of what type of coffee you wanted to make (Espresso versus drip).
I actually think opinions are universally quite favorable....there's always a few detractors, and youtubers often have no choice but to get nitpicky. It's great grinder for the price and target market. Once my kids are outta college, I'll endup with a monolith, but until then, the Niche fit the niche.