Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 12:10 PM

Tubular curious -- Tires

I've been wanting to try tubulars for years now, so finally decided to get set up before spring arrives. Received a wheelset off of a paceline member and now need to find some tires. What I think I want is something analogous to my clincher setup -- 23-25mm in width, good road feel on some relatively decent pavement. I'm a little paranoid about getting a flat, just due to never-done-this before syndrome. So, what do people here think for tires? I've been looking around and am amazed and dismayed at the choices, so could use some help. Thanks, in advance,

-- Dan
Old 03-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Good veloflex or Vittoria Corsa are your go to tubulars.
After mounting, remove valve core and but in some sealant, put back valve core, pump to desired pressure and you’re good to go with little if any worries about flats.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchguy View Post
I'm a little paranoid about getting a flat, just due to never-done-this before syndrome
I started back up with tubular late last season mainly due to tubeless tubulars available.

Use search function here as we have really talked about this in detail overall more than a few times.

Search for LGG and Strada HTLTU for a few examples if tubeless tubulars spikes interest.

Pay attention to the sealant and mini plug aspects and decide your wheelhouse.

I opted for a bit more durable tires, paper weight race tubulars @ 200 lbs I am not glutton for punishment enough for.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM

If you're ok purchasing from the UK vs LBS, Merlin has great deals on prev versions of quality tires. The veloflexes are all a steal; the Vittoria Rubino is a good second-tier tire.

Congrats on giving tubulars a go; IMHO, underappreciated and positioned as too complex for mere mortals. I find road tubeless to be more of a pain that tubular; YMMV.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM

Have spares; carry a pump and spare.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM

Veloflex Veloflex Veloflex. If you're after 25s, either the old Arenberg (black wall) or Roubaix (tan wall) or the new ProTour. If you buy direct from the Veloflex site, shipping is free and fast with two tubulars.

They are the most comfortable, supple, and best cornering tubulars I've ever ridden. They also wear quite well and are reasonably puncture resistant.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:49 PM

second veloflex, you can run them with less pressure compared to normal clinchers too!
Old 03-02-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanghy View Post
second veloflex, you can run them with less pressure compared to normal clinchers too!
The OP wants tubulars, but in any case this is not a good idea. At all.

+ 1 to Veloflex BTW.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
The OP wants tubulars, but in any case this is not a good idea. At all.

+ 1 to Veloflex BTW.
I am sure he was saying you can run tubulars at a lower pressure than clinchers - which is absolutely true, and an excellent idea IMHO.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
I am sure he was saying you can run tubulars at a lower pressure than clinchers - which is absolutely true, and an excellent idea IMHO.
Yeah, errrr, I can see that. But his phrasing makes that in no way clear and in fact the use of the words 'normal clinchers' is an inclusive possessive; therefore my interpretation.

Running a tyre like Veloflex at lower than suggested or rated operating pressures because it seems like a good idea is not a good idea. Tubulars, yes.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchguy View Post
I've been wanting to try tubulars for years now, so finally decided to get set up before spring arrives. Received a wheelset off of a paceline member and now need to find some tires. What I think I want is something analogous to my clincher setup -- 23-25mm in width, good road feel on some relatively decent pavement. I'm a little paranoid about getting a flat, just due to never-done-this before syndrome. So, what do people here think for tires? I've been looking around and am amazed and dismayed at the choices, so could use some help. Thanks, in advance,

-- Dan
Vittoria..any decent mid range tire like the Rubino Pro
Look here-
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...lar-road-tires
Use sealant in that tubie-I use orange seal
Pre glue a spare, wrap under your saddle with a toe strap.
Glue on properly..NOT rocket science, not hard.
Less mess than what tubeless can be. The ride sublime, corner really well, are multi-hour comfy.

DON'T put a ton of psi in them. I'm .1 offa ton(plus my 'covid-19 pounds)..and I use 85PSI front and rear..Vittoria Corsa Elite-25mm.

Welcome to the jungle..I sold all my clinchers a while ago..only own tubulars..I have mucked with tubeless when in the bike shop trenches..no thanks.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-02-2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Look here-
Less mess than what tubeless can be. The ride sublime, corner really well, are multi-hour comfy.

DON'T put a ton of psi in them. I'm .1 offa ton(plus my 'covid-19 pounds)..and I use 85PSI front and rear..Vittoria Corsa Elite-25mm.

Welcome to the jungle..I sold all my clinchers a while ago..only own tubulars..I have mucked with tubeless when in the bike shop trenches..no thanks.
Why the dislike for tubeless? I'm kinda interested in taking the plunge on tubulars for my race bike (if only because wheelsets are cheaper ), but the thought of having to reglue tires is making me , whereas I've already gotten to the point where I can do tubeless swaps at home fairly easily.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by solographik View Post
Why the dislike for tubeless? I'm kinda interested in taking the plunge on tubulars for my race bike (if only because wheelsets are cheaper ), but the thought of having to reglue tires is making me , whereas I've already gotten to the point where I can do tubeless swaps at home fairly easily.
Tubeless, messy with goop. Seen more than a few bikes coated with it after a puncture that didn't seal. Add in the issues 'some' have had with sealing, weeping(sidewall), seating, etc..

Been mucking with tubulars for a long time..and gluing them on just isn't a big deal, YMMV, IMHO and all that.

Considering both have 'issues', just not sure what tubeless brings to the table that tubular doesn't..I see no compelling reason to swap from tubular to tubeless.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:01 AM

I have sold off my tubular stuff but could go back to them tomorrow. I don't believe they would make my cycling any better but maybe they would. My beloved Campagnolo wheels started giving me grief, but as the youngest ones were practically 10 years old I figure they served me well.

I don't see myself going back to that technology but not because I'm intimidated by them. As others have mentioned, this is a non-issue.

But I'm curious about something some here mention - sealant in a tubular.

During all my years of riding this wasn't a thing. I just used good tubulars and glued them on and rode them until they either punctured or wore out, usually the latter. I repaired a few over the years but it wasn't common.

But it never once occurred to me to put sealant in them. When did this start? Is it common? And I'm talking about folks who have been riding them since before there was such a thing as sealant. Is it effective? I found tubulars to be extremely durable and flat resistant just as they were. It wasn't uncommon for me to ride them down to the threads.

Based on my readings here and elsewhere it seems lot of people do this. Discuss this please.

Also, for the OP, there is only one brand you need to know: Veloflex. They are the king.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Look here-

Yes, Rubino Pro is a good mid-tier choice. And my thinking is like Peter, my attempt at tubeless has mixed results -- 35mm GravelKings on a tubeless specific rim, have one tire that I finally just put a tube in. The Challenge tubeless tubular in 36 intrigues me for a gravel tire, but that would mean a new wheelset which doesn't fit into my picture right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I have sold off my tubular stuff but could go back to them tomorrow. I don't believe they would make my cycling any better but maybe they would. My beloved Campagnolo wheels started giving me grief, but as the youngest ones were practically 10 years old I figure they served me well.

I don't see myself going back to that technology but not because I'm intimidated by them. As others have mentioned, this is a non-issue.

But I'm curious about something some here mention - sealant in a tubular.

During all my years of riding this wasn't a thing. I just used good tubulars and glued them on and rode them until they either punctured or wore out, usually the latter. I repaired a few over the years but it wasn't common.

But it never once occurred to me to put sealant in them. When did this start? Is it common? And I'm talking about folks who have been riding them since before there was such a thing as sealant. Is it effective? I found tubulars to be extremely durable and flat resistant just as they were. It wasn't uncommon for me to ride them down to the threads.

Based on my readings here and elsewhere it seems lot of people do this. Discuss this please.

Also, for the OP, there is only one brand you need to know: Veloflex. They are the king.
In comparison to OldPotatoe, I'm a "sealant after the fact" guy. Carry a small bottle and valve core remover on the road. Almost always gets me home without replacing the tire, and I often keep riding it after that. And I agree that I've ridden almost all my tubs down to threads -- and when I've gotten there without paying attention is when I've flatted.

And Saab is spot on, as usual. Veloflex is great. Shame on me for not stocking up on Vlaanderens when they were getting closed out for the new ProTour models. I mean, how can a tire named like that not be awesome???!!!