Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Last edited by tomato coupe; 10-01-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Does anyone have a close up shot of the shifter body without the Hood?

I've used Potenza HO on my gravel bike for a few years and love the thumb shifter on it as I can wrap my hand around the brifter a lot easier than Chorus and up.

From the drops I also find it quite easy to shift.

I'm trying to figure out if I can change the EKAR Shift monstrosity to the Potenza lever.

As both are one shift one push I'm hoping this is a possible.

Plus I have a set of almost Brand new Potenza shifters in the garage I can take apart to get the lever so it won't be hard to find the parts if they work.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You sure get an upright riding position with the diverge.
That's what makes it gravelly, and why all the cool kids love 'em.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post

I don’t have confirmation, but they are listing Ekar as ultrashift and in one video, it appears it shifts on the press and not the release. Given this, I am guessing it’s ultrashift guts mechanically limited to one gear and not powershift. Historically, I believe lever 2 was cross compatible but not lever 3.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I don’t have confirmation, but they are listing Ekar as ultrashift and in one video, it appears it shifts on the press and not the release. Given this, I am guessing it’s ultrashift guts mechanically limited to one gear and not powershift. Historically, I believe lever 2 was cross compatible but not lever 3.
I wondered about this when it was called "Ultrashift", yet the thumb button shifted only one sprocket at a time. The most direct way to limit the Ultrashift thumb button to one sprocket at a time would probably be a mechanical stop on the button travel. If this were the case, I wonder how much more trouble it would have been to make an adjustable limit stop, so the user could select between, say, a limit of 1, 2 or 3 sprockets at a time.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
I'd consider this one. I like orange, and the even lower price, but orange isn't an available option here in the UK. The paint at the top of the fork already looks chipped. Clunky robots!.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...ext=96220-5149
Not chipped but shiny and reflective.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Another nice little detail I thought I’d point out is the crank boot. These don’t appear to be a thing on most road cranks, unless there’s something I missed. I see them offered for MTB cranks. I’ve whacked the ends of my cranks once or twice, so I would endorse them.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Another nice little detail I thought I’d point out is the crank boot. These don’t appear to be a thing on most road cranks, unless there’s something I missed. I see them offered for MTB cranks. I’ve whacked the ends of my cranks once or twice, so I would endorse them.
It's more like a slipper. Thigh length boots would be better. My crank arms always get scuffed up from heel rub.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I wondered about this when it was called "Ultrashift", yet the thumb button shifted only one sprocket at a time. The most direct way to limit the Ultrashift thumb button to one sprocket at a time would probably be a mechanical stop on the button travel. If this were the case, I wonder how much more trouble it would have been to make an adjustable limit stop, so the user could select between, say, a limit of 1, 2 or 3 sprockets at a time.
A member at weight weenies posted the following picture seeming to confirm my suspension:

I suppose they may have been able to have a few positions for the stop. I haven’t had a newer lever apart so I don’t know if it would reasonable to modify the location of the stop but fully removing it seems plausible.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:17 PM
Vendor

Quote:
A member at weight weenies posted the following picture seeming to confirm my suspension:

I suppose they may have been able to have a few positions for the stop. I haven’t had a newer lever apart so I don’t know if it would reasonable to modify the location of the stop but fully removing it seems plausible.
I mentioned before it's 1 down for the rear shifter. They locked it out on purpose because of the issues they had in testing.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:21 PM

There’s nothing I’ve seen that I don’t like. I hope to be able to purchase this when I have an appropriate frame.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I mentioned before it's 1 down for the rear shifter. They locked it out on purpose because of the issues they had in testing.
Yeah, I’m just clarifying that it’s not powershift as previously mentioned in this thread. No budget cuts. Ultrashift with a specific decision to lock it to one cog per shift. Modify at your own risk

Great crank pictures. It sure looks like good old ultra torque with a new seal and cup. I want to update my chorus crank to full ekar spec.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:

Is it that vertical silver pin that limits the throw of the lever to one cog at a time, and is that its only function? It's not structural for the body?
Old 10-02-2020, 04:35 AM

EKAR Accessories at pinkjersey.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I'm just hoping the soft goods will be a real addition to the available line-up, not just some limited promotional stuff. hoping too that they expand the line-up wit some more kit and accessories. those bottle cages look pretty nice for the right gravel bike and who doesn't love campy branded kit?
I have communicated with pinkjersey.com, and they should have all the EKAR Accessories as early as next week. The Clothing remains a pre-order, and they have sold through all their Groupsets. They are taking pre-orders for more Groups, and offering 13% off; same for Wheels. Nicely done Campagnolo!
Old 10-02-2020, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
Does anyone have a close up shot of the shifter body without the Hood?

I've used Potenza HO on my gravel bike for a few years and love the thumb shifter on it as I can wrap my hand around the brifter a lot easier than Chorus and up.

From the drops I also find it quite easy to shift.

I'm trying to figure out if I can change the EKAR Shift monstrosity to the Potenza lever.

Plus I have a set of almost Brand new Potenza shifters in the garage I can take apart to get the lever so it won't be hard to find the parts if they work.
Hard to say w/o taking the EKAR lever apart. With hardly any in anybody's hand, pretty sure nobody has taken them apart. The droopy thumb button(2015+) on the "Power shift" levers is completely different than those on SR/Record/Chorus, and this is a version of a Chorus lever so I doubt it. I suspect that the EKAR, 'one higher gear at a time' is via a post like the 2015 LH lever, that limits movement..but just guessing. Maybe a SR/Record/Chorus thumb button could be installed but not 'droopy'..

Send me one and I'll take it apart.

HA-RTFP, Read The Farging Posts..I see pix above and yup, a post to limit travel and those guts look like 11s...
Quote:
I haven’t had a newer lever apart so I don’t know if it would reasonable to modify the location of the stop but fully removing it seems plausible.
The one on the 2015+ LH lever is embedded in the lever body, doubt the one in EKAR is 'removable'..probably be able to just dremel it out but I think much ado about nothing. I wonder if the 13s back spool, shift disc is installable in an other wise 12s or 11s lever..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-02-2020 at 06:42 AM.