Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I am ready to jump in on Ektar with both feet! Now if only it were available for purchase.
Kodak stopped making Ektar over ten years ago, IIRC.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:23 PM

It's been a loooong time since I've been excited about a campy groupset.

How much are kidneys fetching these days?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I am ready to jump in on Ektar with both feet! Now if only it were available for purchase. I'm epically short on patience for these sorts of things.
It is. Just not from online retailers. I've sold a few kits today. Campy sold I think 72 at last count today alone. They've been swamped all day with EKAR sales. If you want one, let me know.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
It is. Just not from online retailers. I've sold a few kits today. Campy sold I think 72 at last count today alone. They've been swamped all day with EKAR sales. If you want one, let me know.
Curious as to how much $$$ these will be going for?
Old 09-24-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
I've heard otherwise. The chain doesn't fit in the 11/12spd tool from Campagnolo. However it fits in ours (Abbey) and a couple others. I was told yesterday by a factory tech they are going to revise the chain tool to work with at least 12 and 13spd.
UT-CN400. Its already a thing
Old 09-25-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untarded View Post
It's been a loooong time since I've been excited about a campy groupset.

How much are kidneys fetching these days?
I'll broker it for you. I can get a good price for two.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:56 AM

I haven't used Campagnolo for years.

Does anyone find that the gear change lever on the side of the hood (the right hood for this new equipment) gets in the way of a natural hand position for the thumb when not changing gear?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post

Does anyone find that the gear change lever on the side of the hood (the right hood for this new equipment) gets in the way of a natural hand position for the thumb when not changing gear?
If you are asking about the new thumb shifter for ekar, I don’t think you’ll find many who have had the opportunity to try it yet.

If you mean Campagnolo downshifting in general, I find it the most natural and comfortable shifting, and the thumb shifter is not something i notice or think about when not shifting. My experience anyways.

Last edited by nighthawk; 09-26-2020 at 06:11 AM. Reason: words are hard
Old 09-25-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
If you mean Campagnolo downshifting in general, I find it the most natural and comfortable shifting, and the thumb shifter is not something i notice or think about when not shifting. My experience anyways.
second on this
Old 09-25-2020, 04:35 AM

haven't read through the entire thread so forgive any redundancy, there's a lot of info/terminology for gravel w/this groupset. does it also have a niche w/mountain biking?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Think we see rim brakes live past 2x12?
I certainly hope so, though the main thing I care about is that they keeping making rim brake groups, which I'm pretty sure they will be for quite a while. At least, that's what I hope for. It's hard to imagine that one will have to hunt for NOS Campagnolo rim brake groups in some sort of dystopian future.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Oddly, a guy in the UK who REEEEEEALLY hates Campy made a similar comment a few months ago. Even saying that Campy would be sold to SRAM.

First thing first... Campy is not going anywhere. They might not have a massive market share. But they own multiple manufacturing facilities in Italy and other countries including Germany and Romania. They are a BIG company.

Second, they have A LOT of money. The Campagnolo family, Campy and the bike division is tiny compared to what they own. They own so much real estate that if they sold the bike division, they could live happily for a 100+ years. They are doing just fine.

Third... LOOK AT THAT GROUP!!! It's beautiful. They crushed it. From the leaks to the extra time they had to the accessories they are offering. It's the total package. Compared to what Shimano and SRAM have in the way of 1x, Campy has it all. Yeah, SRAM has Zipp and Shimano PRO. Great. But Campy has the durability, the repairability, the looks, the options in the EKAR kit.

Anyways. My 2 cents but I think I'm right on the last one. First two, I know those for facts.
What he said. "Campagnolo is on the ropes" smacks of ignorance and wears me out.

Need to mention Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheel biz too. I think larger than many others, including Zipp...

Campagnolo has done really well at defining their market and pursuing it aggressively but cautiously. They are NOT trying to be everything to everybody..like Porsche and Rolex is not..They are a 'premium' brand. If ya want a $1500 road or MTB, look elsewhere. 'Market share' isn't their number 1 priority..Let the 2 's' brands beat each other up and race to the bottom...

Remember, Campag MTB and first gen index shifting(CDA, AB Chorus)?...Valentino was behind that stuff right after Tullio died and I think he remembers those mis-steps pretty well.
"2 years late"...guess some forget a maker who rushed stuff into production, used the consumer as beta-testers, and had not only had a BIG $ recall but also a warranty department awash with claims....conservative is good.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-26-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I was told by Campy that it fits the 11/12 chain tools.
Mee too..since center pin to center pin is the same, just narrower..not sure why it wouldn't. Friar..ya sure?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:37 AM
Too Few Miles

Even the clothing line is impressive.

And I just may have to get a new Campagnolo cap too...
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post

I love the shape and feel of the Campy hoods. I have no issues with the thumb button. It's never gotten in the way for me. I will say, something I noticed when I first started using STI levers was my accidentally shifting the lever when pressing on the brake levers when out of the saddle. I like that the main lever blade doesn't move. I've adjusted over time, but it's still a habit. I know many a pro complained about that issue as well and needing to change the habit to conform to the brands they were using. But I've never had an issue with the button getting in the way.