Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Zwift 'racing'

Whew, what a work out. My observation. Zwift tends to categorize you based on your FTP so I thought ok that's a good idea. My FTP, granted only based on one 20 minute indoor test, was 3.9 w/kg so I entered category B race which was for riders from 3.2 to 4. I figured that puts me on the high end.

Race starts and boom... Good bye everybody... They just took off! I ended up fighting my way back for a mid pack finish but still I had to ride 400 watts the whole time to just maintain postion and it killed me.

So I thought ok I will try a C race just to see.

Race starts and... Boom... Good bye every body LOL... Same thing.

I guess there is a lot of sand baggers in Zwift racing

Anyway it was fun and a helluva workout. I'll be back for more.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Randomhead

any racing where your results depend on you being honest about your weight is not racing.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I've noticed the same and thought these two questions:

1.) Start of the race is everything, no idea how gaps that wide open up in 15 seconds and then extend with everyone in the lead group riding lower ftp overall at the end of the race compared to the chase group that is bigger and riding at a higher wattage for much longer. Something is up.

2.) Do you have to time the pedal delay or is there a trick to getting an actual draft in Zwift? I felt like there was no way to "sit in" in the virtual world.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 AM
ergottWheels

Zwift racing shouldn't be compared to outdoor racing. If you haven't already linked up with www.zwiftpower.com you should. That validates most of the garbage results from flyers.

Racing Zwift means doing a pre ride warmup so you are ready out of the gate. It's almost like Zwift races are closer to cyclocross in length of time and out-of-the-gate power (for the holeshot).

Also, get to the starting gate early and spin. That way you are closer to the front of the pack and not chasing the start from the getgo.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:46 AM

It used to be different. B races were extremely difficult to stay with but C races were doable and I'd finish mid-pack just like IRL. Now, it's bananas. There's a bunch of "weight doping" and other tweaks I think people do to get a leg up also just like IRL.

These days, I only do recovery rides on Zwift that are rated under 2.2 w/kg and I largely enjoy it. Zwift is just a training tool and if you treat it that way I think it works best.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Zwift racing shouldn't be compared to outdoor racing. If you haven't already linked up with www.zwiftpower.com you should. That validates most of the garbage results from flyers.

Racing Zwift means doing a pre ride warmup so you are ready out of the gate. It's almost like Zwift races are closer to cyclocross in length of time and out-of-the-gate power (for the holeshot).

Also, get to the starting gate early and spin. That way you are closer to the front of the pack and not chasing the start from the getgo.
all of this

In addition, pick up an aero power-up to make the starting effort easier, and make sure to hit ~350W 5 seconds before the actual start. Reason is that there will be sort of a lag between what the trainer is sending out and what the server will be receiving, and starting from 0 watt will drag down power for the first few seconds.

Lastly, the pack dynamics of the game is quite a bit off, and there's significant advantage to be gained from being in a pack; this, despite the minimal draft that one receives...
Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Yes hence the reason why I put racing in quotes.

And yea the guy who 'won' last nights race had an average of 225 watts while mine was 311. Granted I do weigh 200lbs but still.

I noticed too that I would dial the power up to 450 or something like that while the pack was averaging around 270 or so and it would take about 30 second for the attack to actually take off.

My guess is that at the start line 5-10 second mark you need to dial up the power so that when the gun goes off you go off the front with the rest of them.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yes hence the reason why I put racing in quotes.

And yea the guy who 'won' last nights race had an average of 225 watts while mine was 311. Granted I do weigh 200lbs but still.

I noticed too that I would dial the power up to 450 or something like that while the pack was averaging around 270 or so and it would take about 30 second for the attack to actually take off.

My guess is that at the start line 5-10 second mark you need to dial up the power so that when the gun goes off you go off the front with the rest of them.
there's also a "cohesive effect" at play here. Takes quite a bit for the game to allow you to break away. The same is used when trying to latch back on. This is on top of the aerodynamics considerations. Think of trying to move one piece of magnet away from another.

Do you still race in real life as a cat-2? If you do, you'll find that the B-category to be quite doable. You just have to get your start dialed, as you'll need to burn up so much more to latch back on if you aren't part of the initial front group
Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM
ergottWheels

Also, get the Tron bike. Noticeably less effort than any other bike.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Yeah, everyone does a vo2max effort at the start to drop all the new people. It's annoying.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 AM

90kg and 3.9w/kg is enough to hang with and drop the 65kg 4.2w/kg guys
Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
there's also a "cohesive effect" at play here. Takes quite a bit for the game to allow you to break away. The same is used when trying to latch back on. This is on top of the aerodynamics considerations. Think of trying to move one piece of magnet away from another.

Do you still race in real life as a cat-2? If you do, you'll find that the B-category to be quite doable. You just have to get your start dialed, as you'll need to burn up so much more to latch back on if you aren't part of the initial front group
I'll race the cat 2 cross but for the one or two road races I do per year I race Masters. Not that that's any easier

Yeah the B race was doable. I'll figure out some of the techniques in Zwift.

Like bcroslin Zwift is just a training tool and I will say it's a pretty fantastic one at that. This winter in Virginia has been particularly awful and Zwift has managed to keep my attention at indoor riding where in the past it was next to impossible for me.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
90kg and 3.9w/kg is enough to hang with and drop the 65kg 4.2w/kg guys
^^relatable content
Old 02-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I'll race the cat 2 cross but for the one or two road races I do per year I race Masters. Not that that's any easier

Yeah the B race was doable. I'll figure out some of the techniques in Zwift.

Like bcroslin Zwift is just a training tool and I will say it's a pretty fantastic one at that. This winter in Virginia has been particularly awful and Zwift has managed to keep my attention at indoor riding where in the past it was next to impossible for me.
you'd have no problem then, and could do well even in the A races

some of the courses are quite "jumpy" (the flatter Central Park ones come to mind). No single hill is enough to do damage, but they come in quick succession and make one pay.

Ditto for the Richmond Worlds Course
Old 02-21-2019, 10:39 AM

If you are heavier, your starts will be slower than a lighter rider at equal power. Once you get rolling, it's easier to maintain your speed relative to a lighter rider, because you are generating more watts at roughly neutral resistance. But once the race heads upward, lighter riders will climb faster.

But people definitely cheat. That's a given.

It's even easier to cheat in Zwift, because you self report weight.

It's cool that you enjoyed it and remain motivated despite all that.