Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 07:06 AM

Colnago CT1 and CT2 and Eddy Merckx Team SC thoughts?

I am in the market for another bike and looking at Colnago CT1, CT2, or Eddy Merckx Team SC and wanted some thoughts. I have a pristine Campy Record 10 speed group set and wanted to build out a period correct frames. I purchase an Eddy Merckx Team SC from eBay a while back that had some corrosion issues. I repaired and did some respray and like the bikes ride. So I was looking for better condition frame, and in my search I ran across discussions around the CT1. Would be interested in hearing opinions and leads.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM

I loved my CT-1 and miss it. (I don't know from Merckx). The CT-2 was essentially the same bike with a 1 1/8" fork. Quintessential Colnago ride--same 'B' stay rear as the rest of the Colnago line up. Pretty plush ride...

You will find internet lore about bonding issues with the CF/Titanium joints on these--and I have never been able to confirm if this was a serious problem or not, but I would take a close look before buying...
Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 AM

Got a buddy that raced internationally many years ago. He has a CT-1 with Campy 10 and he will never part with it.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I loved my CT-1 and miss it. (I don't know from Merckx). The CT-2 was essentially the same bike with a 1 1/8" fork. Quintessential Colnago ride--same 'B' stay rear as the rest of the Colnago line up. Pretty plush ride...

You will find internet lore about bonding issues with the CF/Titanium joints on these--and I have never been able to confirm if this was a serious problem or not, but I would take a close look before buying...
Yes, I have read some of these, and it appears to be directed more towards the very early bikes. I basically love the ride of the Merckx and love the look and idea of the CT1/CT2. Have not ridden, but had a C40 which was nice and have an EPS.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 AM

I had a CT1 for a good while. I really liked that that bike -- not entirely sure why I sold it.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:29 AM

what size Team SC are you looking for?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
what size Team SC are you looking for?
Looking for traditional, no sloping.

Team SC would be a 58-60cm.

CT1/CT2 would be 60-62cm.

Last edited by MoparPorsche; 02-14-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Are there many CT2s around in the used market? I was on the waiting list for one back in around 2004-2005 for 6 months then ended up with a C50 after the shop told me there was no delivery in sight. I loved the C50 but wanted Ti. A few months later I got a Moots Compact SL. I still have the Moots.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM

I do not see many CT2 which would be my Colnago preference, but I have found a couple CT1s. I had a C40 but sold it a couple of years ago after I found myself riding my EPS more.

Last edited by MoparPorsche; 02-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM

I had a CT1 with BStay. Loved that bike. Great ride and the reflex blue color looked beautiful in person. After using it as my main ride for about 10 years, I sold it a couple years ago to a guy who did some type of cross USA ride. He sent me an email recently saying how much he loves the CT1.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Yes, I have found some decent CT1 bikes but not my size. This one here for full bike looks to good to be true, but the frame is too small for me. https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/6793535874.html
Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I had one briefly (not my size) with some sticky residue around one of the seat stay/rear drop out joints. Like the adhesive hadn't properly cured and was slowly oozing out of the joint...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparPorsche View Post
Yes, I have found some decent CT1 bikes but not my size. This one here for full bike looks to good to be true, but the frame is too small for me. https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/6793535874.html
That does seem too good to be true, been listed forever too.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Ct1 owner here and I love mine. It’s hard to describe the ride....comfy but precise...it is the best handling bike I own. Swapped the bb for a Phil wood and it is indescribably smooth. Mine has old record 10 that is also just smooth like butter.

I’ve never noticed joint separation so maybe I got a good one?

That paint is peeling horribly, and it’s age is showing, but I still ride it regularly and just love it, warts and all.

I go back and forth between having it repainted/ restored but I really enjoy the rat rod look it has.

Good luck with your search. I can’t speak for the Merckx or the ct2, but a ct1 I can endorse.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:10 PM

man...i'd love to get my mitts on an HP-stay CT2...