Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 PM

It took some digging, but I found an obvious solution!

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...rake-for-sale/
Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
It took some digging, but I found an obvious solution!

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...rake-for-sale/
A frankenamera?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM

One more shout for my Impala which isn't so much about the specific car as two features I'll never live without again: Backup camera and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

The ability to see from the rear bumper is so helpful that I hardly ever use mirrors anymore for backing up; it's a massive safety improvement which has the effect of making the car feel smaller because it's so much easier to move it out of parking spaces or into curb spots. I imagine it would be useful with bikes on a hitch rack, too.

Android Auto (I have a Google Pixel 2) pairs with the dash screen so I can use Google Maps for navigation with voice commands. Nifty because you get software updates through your phone (or a new phone) instead of being stuck with a rapidly aging nav system installed in the car.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
B8 and B9 A4 series do have pretty good sized back seats...the older A4s were smaller...
Meh, I dunno if can I agree on that. Went out to dinner with three of my buddies and I sat in the back of a 2013 A4 wagon. Pretty car but my knees were making love to the back of the driver's seat badly. Granted my friend probably had the seat fully setback, I dunno I didn't ask and the drive to the restaurant was less than 10 minutes. Also there was a lot of road noise in the back for such a refined car but makes sense with the wheel wells being right behind me and it being a somewhat compact, sporty wagon. Having said that the differences between this car and my 09 Outback in terms of refinement are null and void since it's not much quieter nor roomy. Having said that if the OP has tall and growing children I cannot recommend either an A4 or Outback. So how's about a Chevy Suburban, LOL....just say'in....

PS. My friend the driver/owner of the A4 and I are both 5,10 or there abouts tall fwiw.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM

In fact when it comes to sporty wagons powered by 2/3 liter engines why is it that they really do suck when it comes to rear passenger legroom? Are the engineers just trying to pack features, utility without compromising wheelbase related handling?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
In fact when it comes to sporty wagons powered by 2/3 liter engines why is it that they really do suck when it comes to rear passenger legroom? Are the engineers just trying to pack features, utility without compromising wheelbase related handling?
My first guess would be they were designed as sporty sedans first, so the wagon just gets a taller trunk with windows.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
My first guess would be they were designed as sporty sedans first, so the wagon just gets a taller trunk with windows.
Interesting as I would think the auto makers could figure out a better way. For me ironically I am single with no family and as I work out of my Outback, most of the time it lives with the back seats folded down. It wasn't until I took a short ride across town in my buddies A4 that I realized this backseat deal is kinda an afterthought. I dunno maybe the backseats in a Passat or any Euro sporty sedan aren't much better for grown ups? Anyway I guess I'm lucky as I really never drive with passengers.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 AM

BMW X3 35i (2014).

Thanks for the many and varied replies folks. The weeks of web surfing, plus, and then several days of running around and driving things (including canvasing the lots of 2 CarMaxes (Maxi?)) resulted in something I think I'll like.

I won't say "love," because . . . well, this was a compromise/trade-off project.
I think it's a fine way to tick off a bunch of our boxes and enough of a driver, but maybe not a pure anything, apart from what it is. But that's being whiny. I bought it voluntarily last night, and I think it's what I wanted. Clean, pretty well loaded, and low-miles for a 2014 (36k).
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Kia Stinger with a trailer hitch? It's a hatchback with handling that's better than the latest BMW models, although it's pretty thirsty.

Also the warranty on Kia's is pretty tough to beat, and quality in the last ten or so years has been up there with the best.
Way late to the party here. But just picked up a Stinger GT2 AWD today. coming from a 2012 GTI that died somewhat suddenly today - I had been expecting a slower death for six months or so, and figured I had another two to three months.

Not going to put a hitch on it, probably just getting a seasucker rack. Rear space is cavernous in the Stinger. Longer than the Golf. but not as tall. Easy bike stuffing in there with seats down.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 PM

Anyone have experience with the Seasucker? I’ve been debating the seasucker vs installing a stealth hitch + bike hitch rack.

Love the portability of the Seasucker and looks cool...but will it hold my bike on the trunk of my convertible zooming at probably speeds faster than posted to get to my destination to ride without scratching my paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk