Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Im a volvo for life guy but if I do sway. It would be a Lexus GX470
Old 01-05-2019, 06:26 PM

A Volvo wagon would be a can't-go-wrong, but I'm going to +1 for the Audi Allroad. I'm a wagon guy and I'm on my second Audi wagon. Absolutely love my 2007 S4 Avant, but it's less practical with a big V8 stuffed into it, and they have not been sold US side since 2009, if I'm not mistaken. The Allroad is much more fuel efficient and checks off enough boxes on my list.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 PM

I'll throw mine into the mix as a sleeper you'll never think of, the current generation Chevy Impala. Huge back seat, huge trunk with pass through (front wheel off and your road bike jams right in there), the V6 has 300HP and goes like stink, and it handles exactly like the cop car it looks like (very well). I got a raging deal on a 2017 two years ago, and you'll do better now cuz it isn't selling and Chevy is dropping it. Dead reliable and looks great, too.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Vw golf r

Anything but dull and you can mount a hitch.
An everyday AWD practice sports car.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Audi SQ5. Goes like stink and fits all your gear. You can find the supercharged 2014’s for $25,000. I’ve owned a few nice cars and this one takes the cake. I’ve never been happier with a vehicle. I have a stealth hitch and tow my 18’ Boston Whaler all over the place with it.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 AM

In the DC metro area you need a car with great handling to deal with the wack drivers...... so maybe stick with BMW. Since the 70's I've been in and out of the area for family and work and have noticed the drivers are forever worse and forever driving faster and faster....... so your current safe cars are good. I'll suggest a BMW 435 X Drive four door sedan. Fast, roomy, looks great, rear hatch. Might be too small, but just a suggestion.

But these days the SUV's are just so good. You might take a look at the 2018 or newer X3. Even the base model is fast. If you are looking for more room and need more stuff-X5. Those are pricey options, but if you are used to the M3 you'll feel at home. For half price, you'll be surprised how good the 2019 Honda and Toyota SUV's are.

Volvo has great safe vehicles. New models are coming out of that company this year that should fit your needs too.

Usually I'll get pre-owned cars that are 2-3 years old at half the price and keep them for few years. Last year I ordered a M40i X3. It's too fast, and now with two kids.....on the smallish side for us but fine for now.

Good luck in your search....lots of great options!

Last edited by 19wisconsin64; 01-06-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
Audi SQ5. Goes like stink and fits all your gear. You can find the supercharged 2014’s for $25,000. I’ve owned a few nice cars and this one takes the cake. I’ve never been happier with a vehicle. I have a stealth hitch and tow my 18’ Boston Whaler all over the place with it.
My second choice to a Macan Turbo. 👍🏼
Old 01-06-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
In the DC metro area you need a car with great handling to deal with the wack drivers...... so maybe stick with BMW. Since the 70's I've been in and out of the area for family and work and have noticed the drivers are forever worse and forever driving faster and faster....... so your current safe cars are good. I'll suggest a BMW 435 X Drive four door sedan. Fast, roomy, looks great, rear hatch. Might be too small, but just a suggestion.

But these days the SUV's are just so good. You might take a look at the 2018 or newer X3. Even the base model is fast. If you are looking for more room and need more stuff-X5. Those are pricey options, but if you are used to the M3 you'll feel at home. For half price, you'll be surprised how good the 2019 Honda and Toyota SUV's are.

Volvo has great safe vehicles. New models are coming out of that company this year that should fit your needs too.

Usually I'll get pre-owned cars that are 2-3 years old at half the price and keep them for few years. Last year I ordered a M40i X3. It's too fast, and now with two kids.....on the smallish side for us but fine for now.

Good luck in your search....lots of great options!
Just back from South Florida and the DC-area drivers are looking relatively calm and cooperative, not to mention downright predictable, but I take your point (although, really, it's defensive driving much more than a car's handling skills that copes with . . . well, other drivers).
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

VW GSW with 4Motion...
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM

re:

Here is a different option... I recently divested myself of an F250 (towing veh. for trailer I no longer own) and a Mustang (daily driver) for a four-door Tacoma 4x4. Love it... much more practical for the family than the Mustang and more fun to drive than the F250. Plus I can still tow my motorcycle around and help my grown kids move. Loving every minute in it.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Macan!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:26 PM

How about a Volvo 245 with overload springs, a class III hitch and a supercharged LS motor with a proper transmission stuck in it? See ya later Mr. Engineer in your M3...

Last edited by SteveFrench; 01-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:02 PM

I don't think he's getting a Macan for under 30k unless he wants to be meeting with Porsche mechanics on a regular basis.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I don't think he's getting a Macan for under 30k unless he wants to be meeting with Porsche mechanics on a regular basis.
I don't think so either -- there's a nearby one in the low 30s but the report shows at least one major (reported) accident, even before we start asking about what it might need in the near future.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:12 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I don't think so either -- there's a nearby one in the low 30s but the report shows at least one major (reported) accident, even before we start asking about what it might need in the near future.
I bought a "cheap" Boxster S once. Most expensive cheap car I ever owned.