Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
Cycling stills my mind. Leaves me relaxed. Wonderful way to be present where I am and release the matters that normally occupy my thoughts. Consider it a way to deal with anxiety - a form of prayer if you will.

I control cycling so at some level it is empowering, probably the only thing in my life I can so impact. Don't have so much effect on the family and the workplace. No one gives me any grief.

The physical "push, push" is an exploration of my potential and, as such, a revelation of whatever it is I have within me. I rarely ride with anyone and enjoy rollers and often rollers in silence, so maybe I am an odd duck.
Yes.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
- Fastest way to get somewhere with short distances and heavy traffic
this is pretty much it for me these days. road riding is out due to **** drivers and past experiences (i get home more frustrated than i went out, so there's no head clearing happening for me), dirt is tough to get to often, so i commute and get around the city on a bike for the sake of ease.
ive switched to rock climbing for fitness purposes. edit: and i chose that specifically because it produces functional fitness, i hate the idea of being "strong" but not "fit" if that strength is inapplicable in daily life.

Last edited by seanile; 01-08-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The recent Paceline "weight loss" thread is really interesting. As a personal trainer, I have a keen interest in why people to chose to move (or not). One of the things I've always maintained is that "reframing" the idea of exercise is imperative for long-term success.

I'm curious where people would rank fitness and/or fat loss in their motivations for cycling.

Here's my top reasons for cycling:

1) Clears my head/makes me feel good. This is far and away the main reason.
2) Cycling is a "passport" to new and interesting sights and great vistas.
3) Cycling is a great way to maintain friendships. (Although I really enjoy riding solo)
4) Cycling helps keep me fit.

Others?
I like your list. I'm pretty much aligned with the same priorities.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
this is pretty much it for me these days. road riding is out due to **** drivers and past experiences (i get home more frustrated than i went out, so there's no head clearing happening for me), dirt is tough to get to often, so i commute and get around the city on a bike for the sake of ease.
ive switched to rock climbing for fitness purposes. edit: and i chose that specifically because it produces functional fitness, i hate the idea of being "strong" but not "fit" if that strength is inapplicable in daily life.
Just for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate: what if I told you that an hour on the Stairmaster would be much more beneficial for fat loss than rock climbing?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Just for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate: what if I told you that an hour on the Stairmaster would be much more beneficial for fat loss than rock climbing?
fair question, but that wouldn't be compelling because there's nothing functional about being able to go up stairs over and over. rock climbing is a full body effort that requires function mobility to be good at it. it also provides some mass to my woefully neglected upper body (thanks cycling).

if i was solely focused on fat loss and efficient fitness i'd head over to harvard stadium and run a deck of those every other morning as i'd done to get ready for a bike trip to italy a few years ago.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
fair question, but that wouldn't be compelling because there's nothing functional about being able to go up stairs over and over. rock climbing is a full body effort that requires function mobility to be good at it. it also provides some mass to my woefully neglected upper body (thanks cycling).

if i was solely focused on fat loss and efficient fitness i'd head over to harvard stadium and run a deck of those every other morning as i'd done to get ready for a bike trip to italy a few years ago.
Absolutely. There's a reason that pull-ups are among the hardest (if not the hardest) movement in the gym. But I'm guessing that you also enjoy rock climbing. And that that's your primary motivation.

I have a "magic pill" theory. If there was a magic pill that could guarantee someone any physique they wanted - ripped, shredded or skinny - with no limitations, except for one: any prior physical activity you enjoyed, you had to completely quit. It would "undo" the effects of the pill. No cycling. (and no eBikes for the trolls). No salsa dancing. No tennis, etc.

How many people so you think would take that pill? I'm guessing at least 90 percent of people in this country. How many people on the Paceline would take that pill? I'm guessing very few. And that's a huge advantage in maintaining long-term fitness. It's actually a gift.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:31 PM
i ride to eat.

As a skilled kid growing up and picking up sports really quickly- cycling was the opposite as it required a lot cardio. I found to challenging and still challenging myself to improve. It’s been a bit harder these days since I don’t race anymore but I still try and be on the pointy end on weekend race rides.

Also I ride to eat.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:40 PM

For me fitness is a byproduct of doing what I love to do. I ride bikes, snowboard, hike, etc.. because it is fun. the more fit I am the more fun these activities are. The more I participate in these activities the more fit I become.

Cycling has the added benefits of being free, meditative, and therapeutic. This is why I cycle.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwilly View Post
Cycling has the added benefits of being free...
hold up...what do you know that i dont?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
hold up...what do you know that i dont?
allow me to clarify. The ACT of cycling is free. I guess I momentarily forgot which forum I was on.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:03 PM

Good question

For me it’s about being fit, most “excercise” is boring.

I really enjoy the ability to connect with the environment... if you are riding in a nice place, you can take it all in, fresh air, nice scenery, nature... very relaxing... from the perspective of getting away from the stresses of everyday life.

I will add, that I similarly get the same feeling from cutting the grass, trimming bushes... working in the yard.

On the other hand, I work out with a personal trainer about once a week, that is about “doing work”, building strength and remaining flexible.

I feel like you need both.

I think I resonate with most of the responses so you asked a good question.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:06 PM

I love riding bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 03:16 PM

Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

1. Like being outside > inside

2. It's the right speed in that it's faster than walking/running, but not too fast like a car --> so you see plenty of the countryside, but still get a rush out of it or can take your time and enjoy it, sometimes both at once. You can stop and greet other human beings still, drink water, eat an al fresco snack, or take a picture of a toadstool or something. You can grin from getting air or just pedaling really hard and swooping around a turn. It's fun. People who don't ride should give bikes a try. They rule.

3. Exertion is good for more than just the physical body. A neighbor saw me loading up the MTB once and asked if I was going to go exercise. Nah, dude... maybe a few things in common with prayer as well as exercise.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

All those bikes are not gonna ride themselves...