Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

there's 2 thoughts:

1. stocks are on sale, buy more (see also: dollar cost averaging)

2. it's only a loss if you sell when you're low. Otherwise, it's all paper losses

M
Old 10-10-2018, 03:50 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
there's 2 thoughts:

2. it's only a loss if you sell when you're low. Otherwise, it's all paper losses

M
So no one who's holding from 2009 has a gain?
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
actually, more like Mr. Jack Bogle

I've learned an immense amount from both of them!
Old 10-10-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
So no one who's holding from 2009 has a gain?
Everyone who has held since 2008-2009 time period is way, way ahead.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
CNN has been announcing all afternoon "Largest Single Day Point Decline Ever"

I guess just calling it what it is in actual terms does not have such a captivating (AKA; Trump bashing) headline..
Trump said it was Fed ‘acting crazy’, right before Sec of Treasury said it wasn’t. Right hand, say hello to left hand....
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
there's 2 thoughts:

M
Over the past ten years I have heard so many times about so many people who were "wiped out" by '08, they lost everything, they'll never retire, and all that has been used as a poor excuse by writers with an agenda to go after Wall Street (not that they don't deserve criticism) and, especially, the entire 401k and IRA industry. I think, wait, what, how did that happen? Of course, we're listening to people whine that, as usual for most, made awful financial decisions, the top of the list was to sell low after buying high. Happens all the time. Probably today.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Over the past ten years I have heard so many times about so many people who were "wiped out" by '08, they lost everything, they'll never retire, and all that has been used as a poor excuse by writers with an agenda to go after Wall Street (not that they don't deserve criticism) and, especially, the entire 401k and IRA industry. I think, wait, what, how did that happen? Of course, we're listening to people whine that, as usual for most, made awful financial decisions, the top of the list was to sell low after buying high. Happens all the time. Probably today.
mostly agree. I know someone who screamed and yelled to make her husband sell shares in 2008, only to regret it later.

That said, if you are in the withdrawing phase, then a 50% dip in equities is going to hurt a bit (though still shouldn't wipe out one's nest egg). assume a 700k bond 300k stock portfolio, with a drawing rate of 4%, one is now at 850k (or possibly 800k, if the bond market takes a tumble as well). The safe withdrawing rate of 4% used to mean 40k/year; now it's 32k/year.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM
slower than you

Quote:
mostly agree. I know someone who screamed and yelled to make her husband sell shares in 2008, only to regret it later.

That said, if you are in the withdrawing phase, then a 50% dip in equities is going to hurt a bit (though still shouldn't wipe out one's nest egg). assume a 700k bond 300k stock portfolio, with a drawing rate of 4%, one is now at 850k (or possibly 800k, if the bond market takes a tumble as well). The safe withdrawing rate of 4% used to mean 40k/year; now it's 32k/year.
Well, thank the lord for points on the card and AirB&B.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
We're going back below 1500 on the S&P500 (not today, or tomorrow though). This is the economic equivalent of a guy going on a solo break away at Roubaix, using all his reserves, pushing past his limits to gain a temporary advantage. He will hit a wall with 50K still left to race.
Quote:

last time the S&P was at that level was in early 2013... 2500 or even 2000, i could see; but 1500 (unless temporary)? then again, the S&P does generally take a 30-40% hit on bad bear markets, so...

---------------------------------------------

otoh, treasury yields haven't budged yet (i'd expect at least the long term to go down, as people flock to "safety", thus driving up prices and lowering yield). any more astute followers of the market have an explanation for that?
I'll revise my prediction. We're going down to 1500 for S&P500 in 2008 dollars, which is about 1800 today.

As for treasury yields, I'm not sure why anyone would buy those bonds. We are borrowing so much money, there is no way that you're going to get paid back. Yes, I can see in the short term, flight to safety... but god, just look at the numbers around the debt, deficit, interest payments, and rising rates... it is not good.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Perhaps the better way to line things up is to budget out, say, 5 years of expenses and then keep that money in cash (or CD's) while remaining more invested in equities. That way, you aren't forced to withdraw annually when your portfolio is down, as you can wait it out for a year or two. (I think another Paceliner does this, as he referenced it in another thread about paying off a mortgage early).
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I'll revise my prediction. We're going down to 1500 for S&P500 in 2008 dollars, which is about 1800 today.

As for treasury yields, I'm not sure why anyone would buy those bonds. We are borrowing so much money, there is no way that you're going to get paid back. Yes, I can see in the short term, flight to safety... but god, just look at the numbers around the debt, deficit, interest payments, and rising rates... it is not good.
but that would imply you would believe the Federal Gov't to default on those bonds?

would be a scary prospect

i mean, if this were any other debt-issuing country, I'd believe it, but we are currently the scarred (but good apple) amongst a barrel of rotten apples. where else is that money going to go? Responsible countries like Singapore doesn't issue nearly as much debt...
Old 10-11-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well if trump is responsible for Dow records, so he’s also responsible for this drop...neither of which is true, of course.
Well, sure, except that part of the mix here is likely due to uncertainty around US/China trade and heavy borrowing to pay for the corporate tax cut. Not the only factors, clearly, but those two are linked to the current administration for sure.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
but that would imply you would believe the Federal Gov't to default on those bonds?

would be a scary prospect

i mean, if this were any other debt-issuing country, I'd believe it, but we are currently the scarred (but good apple) amongst a barrel of rotten apples. where else is that money going to go? Responsible countries like Singapore doesn't issue nearly as much debt...
Governments have ways of defaulting without actually defaulting. Inflation being the obvious one. If you buy a 30 year US bond, the payments in 2048 will be denominated in 2048 dollars, not 2018 dollars.

I mean, looking at the trends and sizes of these imbalances, I just don't see how we make good on all the checks our government has written.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I mean, looking at the trends and sizes of these imbalances, I just don't see how we make good on all the checks our government has written.
Statistically, many of our current elected officials (off BOTH major political parties) won't be alive when these checks are cashed. They're just concerned with today's battles and don't care about the future. A sad state of affairs for our country and our future.

Greg

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth