Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
So far have only put road bikes in but yes, front wheels on there is plenty of room in the back. I agree, I was scoping the previous generation prior to pulling the trigger on this one and was put off by the lack of room for a bike in back. That and if I can't lay down in it without my feet hitting the back, not interested.
That's very good to hear. We had a Volvo 850 wagon for 25 years, and I'm very happy to see usable Volvo wagons returning. It was starting to look as though if I ever had to replace my Alltrack about the only choice going that isn't a SUV is the Mercedes E class, and honestly that's a bit rich for my blood (even used!).
Old 08-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Topspeed has an slightly interesting writeup on hatch/wagons (namely Subaru's) read here

I've had numerous modified Subaru's, so I'm nostalgic about the more motorsports centric models. The Viziv wagon concept would be interesting to see come stateside...

Old 08-08-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
No, the Golf/GTI hatchback may take a small size bike without fenders with at least one if not two wheels off with the back seat down. If you want to put a 60cm bike with full metal fenders in the back without any hassles, you need the space of a wagon at least the interior size of the Golf / Alltrack. The previous model Audi Allroad's too small; the previous gen V-60 is too small; the previous gen BMW 3-series wagon is too small.
I can fit two of my 57-58cm road bikes in the back of my '12 GTI with the front wheels on. But what do I know.

Is it easier with the wheels off? Of course. Either way, It has more usable space than many crossovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
but on GTI, don't you have to take the front wheel out? that is kind of annoying. On the wagon you can just roll it on there.
Only on an MTB.

Last edited by jtbadge; 08-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Mine are in the 60cm+ range as well, almost all racked and fendered. My solution: have the rear fender rinko'd, and otherwise slide the thing right in with only the rear wheel removed.

With the seats down this works in my GTI.

Nice JPW, by the way.

Quote:
No, the Golf/GTI hatchback may take a small size bike without fenders with at least one if not two wheels off with the back seat down. If you want to put a 60cm bike with full metal fenders in the back without any hassles, you need the space of a wagon at least the interior size of the Golf / Alltrack. The previous model Audi Allroad's too small; the previous gen V-60 is too small; the previous gen BMW 3-series wagon is too small.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortribs View Post
Mine are in the 60cm+ range as well, almost all racked and fendered. My solution: have the rear fender rinko'd, and otherwise slide the thing right in with only the rear wheel removed.

With the seats down this works in my GTI.

Nice JPW, by the way.
that's an excellent solution, although not as quick as just rolling it in. Thanks, Peter exhibited it and Jan's CdM bike at the Classic Rendezvous Weekend in NC in 2018 and rode it for most of 2018. Lots of close-ups & detail shots on Flickr from the weekend and in Peter's Flickr photostream.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
Topspeed has an slightly interesting writeup on hatch/wagons (namely Subaru's) read here

I've had numerous modified Subaru's, so I'm nostalgic about the more motorsports centric models. The Viziv wagon concept would be interesting to see come stateside...

The current Levorg would be most interesting too. If only.

Last edited by palincss; 08-08-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
That's very good to hear. We had a Volvo 850 wagon for 25 years...
25 years...pretty impressive. I doubt they made this new one to last like that.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:32 AM

Took the plunge and I’m happy with it. Got it down to a hair over 12k off msrp.

Now I need roof rails (or feet for my existing rack) and a trailer hitch for my Kuat.

Last edited by gt eunuch; 08-09-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:37 AM

that's a nice looking car; really tempted...
Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt eunuch View Post

Now I need roof rails (or feet for my existing rack) and a trailer hitch for my Kuat.
wow what is that thing?!
Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
wow what is that thing?!
Buick Regal tourX
Old 08-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt eunuch View Post

That is a really good RED too!
Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, the era of the wagon is over in the US. We went car shopping last summer and ended up with a used Mazda CX-5. I would love to have considered a wagon, but there was very little on the market. I wasn't interested in a used VW wagon for reliability reasons. At the time the market was flooded with used TDIs and not much else.

That said, the small sized CUV works great as a family hauler. It's easier to get kids into carseats when you're not as hunched over, and the wife likes being a little higher up. Since we mostly use the thing to putter around town and take a day trip here or there, it's not like performance and handling was our top concern. Plus gas mileage is better than our old Saturn sedan we got rid of to buy the Mazda. Enthusiasts may hate the CUV blob shift in the US market, but they do work very well as a practical family hauler.
We just purchased our first new car since '95, and ended up with a Subaru Forester. I wasn't set on going new, but this new model had a lot of little things my wife liked over the previous version. I really liked, and would have preferred, the CX-5...but since my wife will be the primary driver, I let her have the final say.

We've had 5 VW's and I thought about the sportwagen. But our last VW was such a piece of junk, that I just couldn't bring myself to go that route. I'm sure they are much better now, but it just wasn't in the cards.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 PM

The new Foresters look really great. On my short list if I decide to size up from the GTI.

Which might not happen, because I put another 58cm bike in the back with the front wheel on last night without any difficulty.

Last edited by jtbadge; 08-09-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The new Foresters look really great. On my short list if I decide to size up from the GTI.
In our short time of ownership, it's been good so far. I'm still a little freaked out about all this electronic stuff. The safety features are pretty cool, but how much is it going to cost when it breaks. I'm still driving a '93 Nissan pickup and am in the process of getting my '91 GTi 2.0 16v back running.