Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 11:36 AM

WI Crankset Question

G30 double crankset with BSA external 30mm spindle bottom bracket. I need to move my chainline over 1-2mm. Lower limit is all the way out, high limit all the way in and still not perfect.

The crankset has a lockring that gets threaded in to take up any play in the bottom bracket on the non drive side. I have a few mm of adjustment there. Can I just put a standard 30mm spacer on the drive side to shift things over a mm or so?

Emailed White Ind without a response. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:54 PM

"Emailed White Ind without a response."

Maybe try their Facebook page, there is a messaging system there that might get a quicker response.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:39 PM

You’re talking about spacing the bottom bracket cup out right? If so, I don’t see why you can’t. I’ve done that to every other external bb cup...WI will get back to your email. I know they’ve answered lots of questions from me via email with varying lengths of time before getting back to me.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus07 View Post
G30 double crankset with BSA external 30mm spindle bottom bracket. I need to move my chainline over 1-2mm. Lower limit is all the way out, high limit all the way in and still not perfect.

The crankset has a lockring that gets threaded in to take up any play in the bottom bracket on the non drive side. I have a few mm of adjustment there. Can I just put a standard 30mm spacer on the drive side to shift things over a mm or so?

Emailed White Ind without a response. Thanks!
Yes, if you have enough adjustment for play, spacing the drive side cup outward is acceptable. Take up all of your adjustment, use a 1.5mm spacer and give it a try. Check your chainline while you're at it.

Last edited by bikinchris; 01-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:18 PM

Since I am usually trying to keep chainline at a minimum, here I would try to just add a thin 30mm spindle spacer first, to see if that gets my derailer limits within a minimal range of adjustment (instead of maxed out in either direction).
I would then look into whether the bearing pre-load was also within an acceptable range, using the threaded ring.

Since this might just be a fitment test, an iterative process of incrementally increasing the spindle spacer thickness might ensue. Then with a finalized spacer thickness added under the RH cup as a final measure that at least affects bearing stance for the better (replacing the spindle spacers).
It's just easier to play with spindle spacers until the needed cup spacer thickness is determined.

Last edited by dddd; 01-11-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:05 PM

A thought came to me. Take out a little of your bearing load adjustment at a time and see how much you need to get the derailleur adjustment right. Just put inward pressure on the non drive side to slide it over while you shift it.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:39 AM

I will give this a go. Thanks for all of the helpful replies.