Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Biking is a way of life in Copenhagen

“Why wouldn’t you bike? It’s stupid not to bike.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/09/w...gtype=Homepage
Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Living in LA, its hard to even imagine a city like Copenhagen. What blows my mind is how favorable the weather is to biking year round, yet so few people do it.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:33 PM

And just like how I noticed when I made new Dutch and German friends here in Toronto, they do it all in regular city clothes. No need for Gore Windstopper.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:12 PM

After my first visit to Copenhagen I stopped wearing cycling specific clothing. I just didn't see a need anymore. All my cycling specific clothing was donated except for my Shower Pass Elite rain jacket. That trip changed my view on cycling, not just clothing but how I use bikes in my own life. That trip was in 2011 and I returned in 2017 just to experience it again. Next cycling mecca for me will be Amsterdam.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:27 PM

My favorite quote

Here was my favorite quote from the article. “People here say there’s no such thing as bad weather,” said Ms. Gulsrud, 39. “Only bad clothing.”

I started to ride a Dutch style bike in regular street clothes after studying what kind of bike to get for our charity bicycle project in Ukraine years ago. Today just a half mile from my house/frame shop was the ceremonial opening of a new multi-purpose trail. I made a new frame for the occasion with upright handlebars and chain guard. Dutch transportation bicycles let me take advantage of a few moments of free time to get a little exercise without having to take time to get into my cycling kit.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
After my first visit to Copenhagen I stopped wearing cycling specific clothing. I just didn't see a need anymore. All my cycling specific clothing was donated except for my Shower Pass Elite rain jacket. That trip changed my view on cycling, not just clothing but how I use bikes in my own life. That trip was in 2011 and I returned in 2017 just to experience it again. Next cycling mecca for me will be Amsterdam.
The other cool thing about Amsterdam is.... of course.... the coffee. Shops.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:28 PM

I was in Barcelona and Amsterdam this week.

In Barcelona I saw a nice paceline between the airport and downtown.

In Amsterdam, well, I saw cycling heaven.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Biking in Copenhagen

This country will never get it!
Old 11-10-2019, 06:02 AM

Funny how everyone raves about copenhagen.
Personally i think its way to much cyclists. Its not my mecca at all.
Is it better than millions of cars who wont recognize anything but other cars as legitimate roadusers? Yes of course but thats a comparison with the usa i guess

I much prefer to ride on roads with less cyclists amongst cars but with drivers who pay attention and respect cyclists.

Problem with to much cyclists for me is that there is to large a span of preferred speed. That span of preference does not happen with cars unless you get on highways and such and id rather not bike on those regardless..

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 11-10-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Funny how everyone raves about copenhagen.
Personally i think its way to much cyclists. Its not my mecca at all.
Is it better than millions of cars who wont recognize anything but other cars as legitimate roadusers? Yes of course but thats a comparison with the usa i guess

I much prefer to ride on roads with less cyclists amongst cars but with drivers who pay attention and respect cyclists.

Problem with to much cyclists for me is that there is to large a span of preferred speed. That span of preference does not happen with cars unless you get on highways and such and id rather not bike on those regardless..
A couple of years ago we did a family trip to Stockholm and Copenhagen. Both cities have wonderful public transportation, of course, as well as the well developed bike cultures. It seemed to me the mass transit in Stockholm was better developed and more convenient. Flatter topography and I would imagine somewhat milder winters are more conducive to the Danish bike habit.

Anyway I was struck by several bike friendly features in Copenhagen. Things like a metal rail along the side of steps down to the subway so you could roll your bike down the steps. I saw pedestrian and bike only bridges across canals, including a new drawbridge in Christianshavn. We stayed near the metro stop pictured in the article and in the summer, easily twice as many bikes then as shown in that picture.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
And Haarlem, Hoorn, Breuklyn, Nijmegen, Rotterdam well, all of Netherlands is interesting to ride in. We have been several times and want to go back for the tulips.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Our family has done home exchanges for the past two years, both times in the summer months, both times for two weeks.
We have stayed in Copenhagen, and in a northern suburb.

Cycling is so well thought out, that it's easy to use for most day-to-day transportation needs.

Denmark-some of the world's best for - cycling, swimming, food, architecture, trail riding. We went initially for the people we know, and after spending time there we can't wait to get back in 2020.

There is a lot to learn about how other places can become more cycle-friendly from systems Denmark uses. There's a strong respect for following rules of the road, and like-mindedness that allows the cycling community to succeed. I wish these things could be developed more in the US, and hopefully, that is where things are headed.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmla320 View Post
This country will never get it!
Nope. Really too late due to size and infrastructure designs that started in the 50s that continue today. The US is a 'car culture' and where we live, work, shop, recreate, reflect that. Throw in cheap gas and not surprised you city/town aren't going all in on bike friendly infrastructure. Yup, some bandaids here and there but a true 'bike friendly' system just isn't going to happen. To expensive plus too many bribes(called 'campaign contributions)...changing hands.
When fuel is scarce, maybe...but if really scarce, there will be other problems, like food and water shortages...

If a YUGE infrastructure plan comes outta this federal government(unlikely), then it would make the most sense to include bike friendly fixes along with it but........cycling as a means of transportation is still a 'niche within a niche', very small numbers, and doubtful anything that may 'inconvenience' a car user would be included. Sad but the reality of 'main street, USA'....

So, make the best of it, vote early and often...and take advantage of the little cycling advances you do see...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-11-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 AM

This thread has me thinking of modifying a bike to be a better commuter, including swapping out the big chainring on the crank for a bolt-on chainguard for easier use in pants. Anyone know of a 130bcd bolt-on chainguard out there? I think the 39 would be good as the single chainring.