Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 01:35 PM

I love Rene Herse, but if you're in Austin, why mail order from France? Ben's Bike shop in Milwaukee carries SFK square-taper BBs, for example. In your time zone!
Old 08-08-2020, 01:39 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
I love Rene Herse, but if you're in Austin, why mail order from France? Ben's Bike shop in Milwaukee carries SFK square-taper BBs, for example. In your time zone!
Rene Herse is in Seattle now.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Compass (based in Seattle) aquired the rights to the Rene Herse name—there was a blog post about it on their website—and changed the name of the company to RH. It’s kinda like Silca no longer being in Italy...
Old 08-08-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post
It seems that people here aren't really asking for new stickers from SKF themselves, but rather just any correct stickers, from RH since RH is dealing with end users, to cover the incorrect ones. Easily printed in-house or at a local Staples for really next-to-nothing. Nor are people expecting beautiful packaging really, only correct packaging.

A "D-I-Y" correct sticker would definitely be better, more useful and nicer than to just "Sharpie out" the incorrect labels. It probably wouldn't take much more time or cost? Yes the bb stickers are not visible when installed, but that is not really an excuse: it would be proper to have the label on the BB and the box indicate the correct specification for future reference if nothing else, just like any other part. That is why any label is there in the first place. It just doesn't seem that much to ask for correct labels especially given the cost of these, and they are indeed excellent, BBs.
Yes, and with short staffing due to the pandemic, you really think this is the most important thing for them to be spending their resources on, rather than filling orders and dealing with customers? These aren't normal times, perhaps you've noticed.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:07 PM

just update the online shop

Ya'll know what would be a great, low-cost, low-effort way to notify customers of the discrepancy?

Proactively leave a note on the online shop item page. And maybe even throw up a post on Instagram.

Wonders of a digital publishing platform.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Ya'll know what would be a great, low-cost, low-effort way to notify customers of the discrepancy?

Proactively leave a note on the online shop item page. And maybe even throw up a post on Instagram.

Wonders of a digital publishing platform.

Yup, that would be a GREAT idea! Easy to do as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
SKF is usually dealing with professionals, not end users. And they buy SKF bearings for their precision, quality and long life, and don't really care about the sticker and packaging. So it's hard to convince the company to drop everything during Covid-19 to print new stickers that nobody will see once the BB is installed.

Similarly, we carry SKF bottom brackets because they last forever, not because they have beautiful packaging.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
I wouldn’t respond if this didn’t read as condescending. This is about stickers after all.

I’m not a professional, but I usually buy products from companies that are concerned with both quality and correct labeling. I don’t care it’s presented in a cardboard box or on a marble throne. This is one of the most expensive examples of a product that exists in a market with very good, much cheaper alternatives.

And isnt it actually worse to do this B2B as opposed to direct-to-consumer? Now it’s a problem for you that you didn’t ask for.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:18 PM

Wow, lots of stickers in a twist over a label.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:26 PM

I would be fine installing that thing after knowing all this. To open the box and see that would be a downer; yes, but you'd get over it, as the OP seems to have.
But recognizing that joy that we get from beholding functional and beautiful parts-not to mention expensive ones, I think a note in the box, a one-line strike-through on the sticker leaving the original legible, and a hand-lettered correction directly on the sticker-carefully and nicely done with a fine permanent marker, would have been much better and, I would bet, would have left unspoiled the initial experience of beholding the piece. Or even another sticker hand lettered would have been okay.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Just an update: Rene Herse still hasn't responded to four or five inquiries I've made with them this summer. I understand that the pandemic is hitting small businesses especially hard, and, as I said in this thread on the subject of Rene Herse's customer service, I'm happy to be patient. In other words, this is very small beer. There are much bigger and more important problems facing the world than my missing bike tires. But if Jan is going to show up and answer questions here, I have one for him: where are the items I ordered months ago?
Old 08-08-2020, 05:55 PM

I agree totally. I recall getting my first Campagnolo groupset, and the boxes looked like jewelry. I didn't have my frame yet, and so I just admired the boxes (and the shiny parts inside) for a month or two before I hung them on a bike.

For the products we make at Rene Herse Cycles, we try to consider the user experience from the beginning until the end. We don't go overboard –*we don't want the packaging to make up a significant portion of the cost, and we are very aware of the environmental impact – but we want you to enjoy opening the box, holding the part, and admiring it before it goes onto the bike. Our cranks are polished to a high shine, and if there's a small scratch, we repolish them, even though the cranks will get scratched anyhow once you ride them.

For parts that we get from other makers, we are a bit more limited in what we can do. Some are beautifully packaged –*Berthoud saddles and SON hubs – but others are just beautifully made.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
But recognizing that joy that we get from beholding functional and beautiful parts
Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Very sorry to hear that you seem to have a hard time getting a hold of us. Rather than direct you to our customer service, let's deal with this directly.

Can you give me an order number and your full name and the date of your order? Without that, I can't really look into this. Also, did you make sure your credit card was charged and you got an order confirmation? If the order doesn't go through, we obviously never see it...

Thank you, and we'll deal with this ASAP.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Just an update: Rene Herse still hasn't responded to four or five inquiries I've made with them this summer. I understand that the pandemic is hitting small businesses especially hard, and, as I said in this thread on the subject of Rene Herse's customer service, I'm happy to be patient. In other words, this is very small beer. There are much bigger and more important problems facing the world than my missing bike tires. But if Jan is going to show up and answer questions here, I have one for him: where are the items I ordered months ago?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:07 PM

That's very kind of you, thanks. I just sent you a PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to close this thread in respect to our forum vendors who support us in exchange for an opportunity to do business here and promote their products here.

Please take any of the outstanding issues to PM.

Thanks.

Tags
runny arse, stickergate