Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 04:02 PM

From a functionality standpoint, I like the idea of electronic shifting for youngers ones that might not have the hand strength or reach to effectively shift cable actuated systems designed for adults. The satellite shifters are also a benefit. Gives them options for safe shifting as they learn to be comfortable riding and shifting on the hoods and switching hand positions. Lots of benefits for e-systems for younger riders.

Over the top? Absolutely - particularly the power meter - but I do see functional value in some of it for a younger rider.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:45 PM

It isn't "harm" so much as the feeling that childhood should come with the excitement of not having every desire completely fulfilled, so you have reason to believe the future is your opportunity to reward yourself in a way that your parents did not.

"Spoiled" has more than one meaning.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Barely Hanging On

I suspect this bike build is more about a bike shop owner having fun with his hobby as opposed to the kid wanting such a high end bike. I imagine this will be a pretty good deal when the kid outgrows it or potentially loses interest.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM

If one doesn't personally know the father and the son, and their relationship/teachings/expectations/etc., then why criticize the gift at all? It seems quite arrogant to do so. Who knows, perhaps they both have a deep and honest love for the sport and the kid dreams of being the next Adam Hansen. If this bicycle helps him get there, more power to them/him then.

This isn't exactly Daddy giving Jaden Smith another starring role in another crap movie....
Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM

Look, my generation has pretty much f###kd up this kid's generation, so if a new chi-chi sled that's way better than anything in my garage can help convince him not to obliterate social security and medicare, let him ride the bike. Better that than thumb calluses from abusing his iphone...
Old 02-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
If one doesn't personally know the father and the son, and their relationship/teachings/expectations/etc., then why criticize the gift at all? It seems quite arrogant to do so. Who knows, perhaps they both have a deep and honest love for the sport and the kid dreams of being the next Adam Hansen. If this bicycle helps him get there, more power to them/him then.

This isn't exactly Daddy giving Jaden Smith another starring role in another crap movie....
Why criticize the criticisms? Are they actually being directed at the people involved, or is this on a discussion forum where it simply doesn't matter?
Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Not a bad way to spend money on a kid

I used to play much more golf than I do today, about 10 year’s ago a young kid (12 hrs old) walks up to the first tee with a bag of clubs that had to be worth about 3 grand. Clearly that is less than this bike, but that was 10 years ago. Anyway. The kid was nice, very respectful and honestly a pleasure to spend time with.

Similarly, I have spent stupid sums to keep my girls in cheerleading, dance and ultimately Debutantes.

My point, I’d rather spend money on my kids, doing something I am proud to talk about than the alternative.

BTW, I ride with a group and one of the guys brings his 10yr old along. Kid is great.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/bike...llo-dogma-f10/

But why does a 10 year old need a power meter?
Why does this athlete have to slum it with 9000? If his father loved him he’d have 9100. Disgraceful.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 PM

That tiny stem is going to make it twitchy. Someone this small should be running 650b wheels.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 AM

This thread reminds me of a vintage sporting clays shoot I was at almost 20 years ago at Orvis Sandanona. The squad in front of us had a boy that was around 13-14 there with his dad. The kid was shooting an English Best with a fitted stock which at the time was easily a 20k proposition. For them it was much the same financially/value wise as it was for us that were using much less expensive gear.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:30 AM

I have to agree, i put a stem that is that short in my kids bike and i had to get the stem as down as posible to get the thing to ride better, good they grew and probably will be able to put a longer stem this year. Stem is way too short that for the kids to turn tight they need to ever steer...

650 is kind'a ideal but the era of 650 is pretty much gone since a while for road bikes. Had hard times finding stuff... or frames were too big or wheels were not available for reasonable price, then noticed that even in new stuff 650 was hard to find. 650 was a phase that is gone, just like how is going to happen with road discs :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
That tiny stem is going to make it twitchy. Someone this small should be running 650b wheels.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Randomhead

I'm old enough to remember when 10 year old racers had 24" wheels with tubulars. I guess that was one advantage of the baby boom, it made it economic to make bikes like that. I was a large kid at 10, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't get on a 700c bike. This kid is going to be a giant.