Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM

$1000 road bike vs $1000 road wheelset

Having a custom all-road/gravel bike built, 72 degree head tube angle, 70mm bottom bracket drop, 43cm (need to get my metrics straight, sorry for previous error!) chainstays, asked for it to ride comfortable but fun. Steel frame, steel fork, ultegra hydraulic, should be fun!

I built a 650b wheelset with dynamo hub and 42mm tires for mixed SF bay area rides. Now thinking about pure road riding, a bit faster. Would you build up a parts bin Soma Smoothie/All City Mr Pink, or invest that money in a lighter 700c wheelset with skinny tires? Just ride the 650b wheelset and pedal faster? I like the idea of investing in one bike that fits well, and reduces space too!

Last edited by CMiller; 06-15-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Wheels. That was easy!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:13 PM

But... N+1!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM

I have both too many bikes AND too many wheels...teach me your ways when you find your answer...
Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM

There is something really nice about having 2 (or more) bikes. You'll always have something to ride, even when one is in the shop and you can tailor each bike to its purpose and not have to worry about changing wheels and getting everything set up right for each ride.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Princess Sweat

Bruh,

With the geo posted, you might want to consult a frame builder. I'm just worried about your rear wheel toe overlap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg chainstay.jpeg (79.7 KB, 381 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Tucked rear wheels for life!!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Bruh,

With the geo posted, you might want to consult a frame builder. I'm just worried about your rear wheel toe overlap.
No dude, he got it right, this is the future and it looks awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg star_wars__tie_fighter.jpg (52.5 KB, 362 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM

I'm still learning about East bay area riding as I'm in a long transition from East to West, but for me I'm happy I have both a bike good for gravel roads with supa low gears and fat tires, and a light weight dedicated bike for all that awesome pavement. I could put lighter wheels on the all rounder and be fine, but there's still something very fun about a 17 lb lightweight going up Mt Diablo and the like... If I had only the space or budget for N=1 then I would choose the all-rounder for sure (Spectrum, steel frame/fork, centerpull rim brakes, space for 38-40mm tires, and could probably put in 650b wheels to get to 42c). But, I have the space and as much as I love rough gnarly roads, I'm a roadie at heart and my dedicated pavement road bike is an older carbon Cyfac bought used (from a forum member) and built with 6800 ($300 Ultegra 11 speed wheels are incredible for the price!), probably ~1200 bucks total investment and it's great fun to ride something so light and lively on pavement,trying to hang with the younger faster kids, and with 27mm (max) tires it's fine on the occasional stretch of pave if it's not too loose or rutted. So go N+1, but no need to spend too much- the used market is great for buyers who know what they're looking for!

Last edited by zennmotion; 01-16-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM

I’m doing what you are thinking of doing (not w/ wheel overlap, but with two aets). White Ind to TB14 hard ano with 38mm g-ones, then CK/new Open Pro with a roadier tire. Before the new set I just had CK/w DT rims and 35mm Bon Jons and got by fine with one wheelset for both! Two wheel sets will be up town living.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:34 PM

I would get a cheap carbon or aluminum road bike, with cheap wheels. It will make a much bigger difference than putting carbon wheels on some heavy relaxed steel bike. Nothing wrong with a heavy relaxed steel bike, they have their element, but for fast road riding you want a fast road bike. They don't have to be expensive now days.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM

As someone who's trying to get rid of bikes and cull my own pile, I say go n+1 if you have the resources. I have several roadies ready to go and when one has a mechanical I can literally grab and go and not lose a ride, or barely the momentum of having to switch steeds.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Bruh,

His bika be Ultra Tukt!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtcVKXh...y=bicyclepubes
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
Having a custom all-road/gravel bike built, 72 degree head tube angle, 70mm bottom bracket drop, 43cm (need to get my metrics straight, sorry for previous error!) chainstays, flat mount thru axle, asked for it to ride comfortable but fun. Steel frame, steel fork, ultegra hydraulic, should be fun!

I built a 650b wheelset with dynamo hub and 42mm tires for mixed SF bay area rides. Now thinking about pure road riding, a bit faster. Would you build up a parts bin Soma Smoothie/All City Mr Pink, or invest that money in a lighter 700c wheelset with skinny tires? Just ride the 650b wheelset and pedal faster? I like the idea of investing in one bike that fits well, and reduces space too!
So, you think you're going to put narrow 700C tires on that 650B all-road bike and go faster?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
So, you think you're going to put narrow 700C tires on that 650B all-road bike and go faster?
Not really a wheel size thing, more of a lighter vs more robust wheel and corresponding tire difference. The 650b wheels I want to ride offroad aren't the same I want for a smooth road ride. The other build could easily be 650b, but 700x25 is fun sometimes.