Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 12:08 PM

1998 Record rebuild and compatibility

My full 1998 Record group stopped shifting properly 18 mos. ago. I'm trying to get it running again. I don't have the money right now to replace it with a current generation product. Please direct me to another thread with this information, and any tips are welcome.

I have several questions.

1. I need to replace a spring in the front lever as it won't hold a shift to the big chainring. I've regularly replaced cassettes and chains on this bike, but never rebuilt the shift levers. Now is the time. I ordered G-springs for R and L levers. I need to take the levers apart and see which other springs may need replacement. The index or coil spring must be the culprit on the L lever. Any suggestions?

2. The 1998 Record rear derailleur appears to be worn out. I took the bike apart in Winter 2015/2016 to full clean frame and parts and JP Weigle the frame. The rear derailleur was very noodley once clean. The parallelogram pivots are loose, and I'd guess the springs have lost some strength. I'm sure I just missed the deterioration, but now it may work in the stand, but it slides inconsistently between gears on the road. Is it worthwhile to consider rebuilding the existing derailleur? I looked on Branford bikes website, but could not find all the derailleur body parts I would need. I assume that's not viable. Does a replacement derailleur have to be from the 1998-2000 range? Can I use any pre-2015 derailleur? I have found evidence that the cable pull may have been changed starting in 2001 or 2002, and just want to know which used rear derailleurs may be suitable replacements. Is there a cable routing adjustment or other hack that could make my 1998 Record 9 spd levers compatible with derailleurs from 2001-2014?

3. What part do I need to upgrade the R shift lever from 9 spd to 10 spd? Are the parts still available? I have heard there are maybe metal and plastic versions of that gear. I'd prefer the metal for durability.

4. Do you have suggestions of where to find Campagnolo small parts for 1998 record? I assume E-Bay, Branford Bike..??

5. Is there a Campagnolo user's group on the BB?

I'm pretty good about keeping the chain and the derailleurs cleaned and serviced, so I think the group needs replacement, but may have some life left in it. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Oldpotatoe is a user on here and is the Campagnolo guru, he may have all the parts needed, even for derailleur. Expertly rebuilt my shifter pair after I gave up. If he doesn't reply right away (he's usually on), send him a PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm impressed with your cogent request for advice/help. As already stated Old Potato is "The Man" for Campy info. You may find answers to all of your questions searching the archives/old posts because this has been a popular subject.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm impressed with your cogent request for advice/help. As already stated Old Potato is "The Man" for Campy info. You may find answers to all of your questions searching the archives/old posts because this has been a popular subject.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
cmg

brandford is great source for parts, https://branfordbike.com/new-page-2/ also another source https://www.bikeparts.com/categories...ifter-parts/#f there are rebuild videos on Youtube , example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLBFtIPOIJc
Old 01-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreiburgDe View Post
My full 1998 Record group stopped shifting properly 18 mos. ago. I'm trying to get it running again. I don't have the money right now to replace it with a current generation product. Please direct me to another thread with this information, and any tips are welcome.

I have several questions.

1. I need to replace a spring in the front lever as it won't hold a shift to the big chainring. I've regularly replaced cassettes and chains on this bike, but never rebuilt the shift levers. Now is the time. I ordered G-springs for R and L levers. I need to take the levers apart and see which other springs may need replacement. The index or coil spring must be the culprit on the L lever. Any suggestions?

2. The 1998 Record rear derailleur appears to be worn out. I took the bike apart in Winter 2015/2016 to full clean frame and parts and JP Weigle the frame. The rear derailleur was very noodley once clean. The parallelogram pivots are loose, and I'd guess the springs have lost some strength. I'm sure I just missed the deterioration, but now it may work in the stand, but it slides inconsistently between gears on the road. Is it worthwhile to consider rebuilding the existing derailleur? I looked on Branford bikes website, but could not find all the derailleur body parts I would need. I assume that's not viable. Does a replacement derailleur have to be from the 1998-2000 range? Can I use any pre-2015 derailleur? I have found evidence that the cable pull may have been changed starting in 2001 or 2002, and just want to know which used rear derailleurs may be suitable replacements. Is there a cable routing adjustment or other hack that could make my 1998 Record 9 spd levers compatible with derailleurs from 2001-2014?

3. What part do I need to upgrade the R shift lever from 9 spd to 10 spd? Are the parts still available? I have heard there are maybe metal and plastic versions of that gear. I'd prefer the metal for durability.

4. Do you have suggestions of where to find Campagnolo small parts for 1998 record? I assume E-Bay, Branford Bike..??

5. Is there a Campagnolo user's group on the BB?

I'm pretty good about keeping the chain and the derailleurs cleaned and serviced, so I think the group needs replacement, but may have some life left in it. Thanks for your suggestions.
1. Probably just shift springs. Hardly ever the ‘coil’ spring.
2. Use any Campag rear der from any year, 1998 and on including 11s, works great, no mod needed.
3. You cannot easily upgrade 1998 levers to 10s, it requires the entire innards ‘suite’ as they changed it all in 1999 to accommodate ErgoBrain. Possible but expensive(in the $125 range).
4. Me, shift guts. Branford is going to tell you need things you don’t.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
1. Probably just shift springs. Hardly ever the ‘coil’ spring.
2. Use any Campag rear der from any year, 1998 and on including 11s, works great, no mod needed.
3. You cannot easily upgrade 1998 levers to 10s, it requires the entire innards ‘suite’ as they changed it all in 1999 to accommodate ErgoBrain. Possible but expensive(in the $125 range).
4. Me, shift guts. Branford is going to tell you need things you don’t.
Thank you, this is a big help.

I want to be certain on 2. I think I can only use the 1998 record levers with derailleurs through 2014, is that correct?

I'll PM you for more info on parts.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreiburgDe View Post
Thank you, this is a big help.

I want to be certain on 2. I think I can only use the 1998 record levers with derailleurs through 2014, is that correct?

I'll PM you for more info on parts.
Kinda convoluted but..

1998 levers can use a more modern 10s rear der(1999 thru 2008)..and 10s shifters can use a 11s rear der(including 2015+), so I think a 2015 rear der will work on 1998 levers but put it on and try it.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 AM

If it comes down to it and OldSpud can fix the shifters, I've got some Record 9 derailleurs in the garage. Pretty sure I've got a decent front/rear. They are alloy and say Titanium on them.

Tags
1998, campagnolo, compatibility, derailleur, record