Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 PM

I really like that pump head. I have bought several and have one of those pump heads on like every pump I own between my house, my parents' house and the bike shop.

I get about three months out of the pump head at the bike shop of daily hard use....if you're getting nine uses out of yours, that either sounds like a you problem or a you get a defective one problem.

The ones I've sold have been bullet proof.

There was a recall on one of the silca pumps recently, perhaps you have one of those, but the issues you're describing don't sound like the issues they describe.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Steel..what else??

You don't need to pay a lot for a reliable pump.
Topeak works, even those old blue Nashbar pumps would do.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I can't say enough about Blackburn pumps. They have a lifetime warranty. And by lifetime, I mean lifetime. Like 9 years and a pump hose breaks, and they don't make that model anymore, and they send you a new pump, no questions asked (current closest model). I'm on my 3rd Blackburn pump in 19 years, and I only paid for the first one.

Pumps are like saddles and shoes - largely a matter of preference.
Pretty cool that you're gotten 3 pumps out it, but that doesn't really say that much about product...it speaks to the company honoring their warranty on a product that won't last. I have 2 older silcia pumps (one is the super)and they still work...both have been rebuilt but they still work...and they feel like the will last forever. Some of the newer pumps feel have a lighter feel and fancy heads, but not sure about long term durability.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Pretty cool that you're gotten 3 pumps out it, but that doesn't really say that much about product...it speaks to the company honoring their warranty on a product that won't last. I have 2 older silcia pumps (one is the super)and they still work...both have been rebuilt but they still work...and they feel like the will last forever. Some of the newer pumps feel have a lighter feel and fancy heads, but not sure about long term durability.

if you've had to have yours rebuilt, wouldn't you have to say that yours didn't last either?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
The simple answer to this is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1 BAD LINK

and this

https://www.efficientvelo.com/product/p ... -inflator/

Overkill? Perhaps - but you will never regret getting this setup.
That one looks nice, where do you get them?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I can't say enough about Blackburn pumps. They have a lifetime warranty. And by lifetime, I mean lifetime. Like 9 years and a pump hose breaks, and they don't make that model anymore, and they send you a new pump, no questions asked (current closest model). I'm on my 3rd Blackburn pump in 19 years, and I only paid for the first one.
I thought I was the only one! The latest one they sent is the best, which is their Piston 4.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
That one looks nice, where do you get them?
Should link you to the PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor. About $99 on AMZN.

As for the EVT inflator, you can buy it direct from Brett at EVT.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

I like silca, so lets get that out... I really like their pocket TI torque wrench thingy, has come in handy as my travel tool kit. Its nice.

But I also have their frame pump. Got it for a song on ebay, I got lucky. It is absolutely beautiful. Well made. Really really nice, ect ect ect.

However guess what? My topeak master blaster is a much better pump and costs $20 (vs $160 msrp for the silca). This is true with a lot of bike things in this world. Expensive does not mean its better.

In this case, something is going on becaus ethere are people very satisfied with the same pump. Hope they send you a new pump
Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
I thought I was the only one! The latest one they sent is the best, which is their Piston 4.
Same here! I am on my second Blackburn pump, all I wanted was a couple small cheap spare parts to fix my first one (model TP5) but they insisted on sending me a brand new one!! Awesome service.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:12 PM

Just shipped the pump back to Silca...I'll let y'all know how it turned out. -Jeff N.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:19 PM

Silca Super Pista service bulliten/recall

Attention new school Super Pista owners:
This one is almost right up there with a pair of Cannondale leisurewear shorts that was recalled. Yes, a pair of shorts recalled!!!

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recal...in-pump-gauges
Old 12-29-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arik View Post
I also dislike their crazy prices for made in Taiwan hex wrenches, you can get truly premium tools made in Germany and Switzerland for far less. Just a hard company for me to like.
I don't own any, but I have read (here and elsewhere) that the Silca hex wrenches are in fact made by PB Swiss.

I have some older, regular Silca floor pump; it has worked and still works perfectly.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post

Yes - pumps do wear out. I would wager that I have less money and time in my replacement pumps than you do in rebuilding yours. I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of a pump.

Last edited by berserk87; 12-29-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

While we are talking about crappy pumps, lets talk about lezyne
Old 12-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Yes - pumps do wear out. I would wager that I have less money and time in my replacement pumps than you do in rebuilding yours.
Last time, it cost $2.50 for the leather washer...