Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
I know how it works. No one here thinks you take a shot and suddenly you look like that dude. I never said the guy didn't train his a$$ off. All I said is that it is extremely hard to have that much incredibly lean muscle at the age of 55 without using roids. Roids are powerful drugs; used in conjunction with a hard-core training regimen, they are far more than a little "edge."
Agree. The picture does him justice, so to speak. In person it looks very ... er ... unnatural.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:47 PM

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Kevin...ment_6712.html

He knowingly took testosterone without a TUE again and at Kona. What did he expect?

By the way, the Atlanta cycling is having a field day with this news. Let's just say he's like our own little Lance.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 PM

I can't view the link on page 1. I get a "404" error. Can anyone help?

Here's the link:
http://lavamagazine.com/news/wtc-ann...#axzz29fj3CteG

What I don't understand is, why isn't it obvious to an athlete that they have to forgo competition if they have a medical condition whose treatment disqualifies them from competing? To me, it's the same as having a medical condition that by itself would preclude someone from competing.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I can't view the link on page 1. I get a "404" error. Can anyone help?

Here's the link:
http://lavamagazine.com/news/wtc-ann...#axzz29fj3CteG

What I don't understand is, why isn't it obvious to an athlete that they have to forgo competition if they have a medical condition whose treatment disqualifies them from competing? To me, it's the same as having a medical condition that by itself would preclude someone from competing.
You can't see the article via the original link because the original post was from 2012. Someone just pulled a Dr. Frankenstein on this thread and resurrected it because the same guy referenced in 2012 got caught, again.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM

revoke his KOMs. make it really hurt.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Princess Sweat

effin' ego.... old man ego.

don't be surprised. PED use in the 40+ age bracket is ridiculously high. in socal it is effin' obscene.

i see it in the gym.
i see it in stores.
i see it on group rides -- sorry bro you're 65, ripped AF and shredding a 26 year old Cat 1 and you were never euro pro? I don't need to ask you to pee in a cup.

imho, USAC + other licenses should have pricing tiers tied directly to how much doping control should be used.
juniors get no up-charge.
45+ gets a 500% up-charge -- everyone pees in a cup.

</thread>

Last edited by false_Aest; 01-17-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Kevin...ment_6712.html

He knowingly took testosterone without a TUE again and at Kona. What did he expect?

By the way, the Atlanta cycling is having a field day with this news. Let's just say he's like our own little Lance.
Guy sounds like class act.

Anyway, he returned a positive test for testosterone a year or two ago in out of competition testing. He was initially banned for 2 years, although according to this interview it was later reduced to 3 months. He doesn't deny taking testosterone; his claim is that he took it under doctor's recommendation, along with thyroid medication. So I think this is relevant to the debate over whether or not it is appropriate for competitive athletes to be allowed to take hormones to get their levels "back to normal" after they have been reduced by hard training, racing, etc.

One thing to keep in mind with Moats is that he is widely regarded as a grade A a**hole. Virtually nobody can stand him personally. Triathlon message boards abound with stories about his generally douchebaggy behavior. He has also long been reputed to cheat in triathlons by illegally and using a tiny mirror installed on his helmet to check for course monitors.

Anyway, here's part of his interview:

Kevin: Right. So they tell me they’re gonna test the B samples so I went ahead and tested the B samples. One thing, too, that I didn’t realize… and explained why I tested positive. About six, seven years ago, when I turned into my early 50’s, I was really suffering from chronic fatigue and depression and just my whole system just seemed to be shutting down. So I went to see an endocrinologist, coz I thought, “Is this AIDS, or is it the fact that Ironman is a hobby for me, but I’ve been doing this marathon, etc. all my life, and was I perhaps suffering from a depressed endocrine system?” I mean, it’s common among the top pros in training in incredible levels after three, four years they fried, so I was a little concerned that maybe I had really done my adrenal system and… so I went to this endocrinologist and he looked at all the values, the cortisol levels, thyroid and testosterone and whatever, and he came back to me and he said, you definitely have a low thyroid. You definitely have dangerously low testosterone levels and also you have…

Ben: Which affects the thyroid, as well, right?

Kevin: Right. What causes what. And then also that I actually have elevated estrogen. That’s the function, as you get older your estrogen levels go up. That’s why we get man boobs and stuff like that. But anyway, so he said, I’m going to… what he meant by dangerously low, again I’m not a medical expert, but my understanding is a healthy person in 20’s and 30’s, their testosterone levels are maybe in 500 to a thousand level or 800 to a thousand or whatever. My levels were somewhere around 75 to a hundred. What my doctors explained to me was it really, to be healthy, you need to be around 400. So anyway he put me on hormone replacement therapy regimen. He gave me thyroid which I take once a day. He gave me… initially I started feeling, it was like an injectable testosterone, but I didn’t feel comfortable, so I suggested gel. And I would put a modest amount of gel on my arm, a testosterone crème on a daily
basis. And then…
Old 01-17-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
don't be surprised. PED use in the 40+ age bracket is ridiculously high. in socal is effin' obscene.
Not just on the left coast. I know several strong masters racers who dropped out of sanctioned cycling races when drug testing started to become more widespread in amateur racing. I laughed my posterior off when they had surprise drug testing at last year's NY state championship road race. I knew I was safe unless Peet's Aged Sumatra was on the prohibited list. I'll bet several masters competitors were nervous...

Greg
Old 01-17-2018, 07:32 PM

I ride with several that are on testosterone, they swear their performance everywhere has improved. I had my testosterone checked, doctor said my test results was normal and would not prescribe testosterone even if it was low. He went on for some time regarding the increase society will see in prostate cancer due to lacks attitude doctor have prescribing test for those who don't need it.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 PM

word

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Here's a picture of him. If I had the same amount of body fat, I'd be flying on the bike!!!
no 8 pack for a 50 something without juice
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 PM

The T thing. I'm sure there are people who need it. I think we can also say maybe in this situation people are afraid of getting old or their own mortality and will do whatever it takes not to. I feel bad for this guy, I really do, that he couldn't have the testosterone levels of a 20 or 30 year old, but he's 55. Someone should notify him that it's OK to be a 55 year old man.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Guy sounds like class act.

Anyway, he returned a positive test for testosterone a year or two ago in out of competition testing. He was initially banned for 2 years, although according to this interview it was later reduced to 3 months. He doesn't deny taking testosterone; his claim is that he took it under doctor's recommendation, along with thyroid medication. So I think this is relevant to the debate over whether or not it is appropriate for competitive athletes to be allowed to take hormones to get their levels "back to normal" after they have been reduced by hard training, racing, etc.
Whether or not it's prescribed by a doctor is completely irrelevant. It's exceedingly hard to obtain a TUE for testosterone, even in cases where one would truly need it. A few years ago, someone on slowtwitch wrote about being denied a TUE for T despite having lost significant T production due to removal of cancerous testicular tissue. The poster on ST wasn't prescribed T because of aging; dude was prescribed T because he genuinely lost the capability of producing normal amount of T.

That Moats would come in and claim he had a medical necessity is effectively insulting the intelligence of his audience.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 AM

Triathlon is so weird.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Triathlon is so weird.
Yeah, they take OCD to an entirely different level.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Isn't all this "replace T as you get older" stuff kind of off-label sketchy medical stuff?

"Replace T at 55 so you have the level of a 17 year old" is not at all what those therapies are supposed to be for.

But yah, he's probably on a boatload of other stuff too.