Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM

I completed against him when we were young he was always way faster than me
I wonder if he juiced back then as well
Cheers
Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Post Mod-ern

There is a test . . .

. . . for artificial testosterone. It's what Floyd tested positive for.

If he did cheat, there's something about non-professional athletes who have to resort to this that I will never understand. While I like to win as much as anybody, to have this degree of seemingly compulsive ego need--when it does nothing but gratify your ego--is just beyond me.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
My understanding of the rules (which certainly isn't complete) is that there are some substances, like EPO and testosterone, which are legal for use in general, when prescribed by a doctor, but which are still banned for use by athletes. So, even if the positive is the result of a legit doctor prescribed hormone replacement therapy, he's still, according to the rules, cheating.
He is cheating unless he applies for, and receives, a TUE.
He may very well have low testosterone, and received a prescription to boost it, but just having a low testosterone diagnosis usually isn't enough of a reason to be granted a TUE.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post

I would guess that these rules were not written with 55 year old athletes in mind. Maybe there should be allowances for this kind of thing for guys in that age group.

Chris
I think they need to change the rule, because by the words of a somewhat local race promoter, "a LOT of guys are not in compliance with this rule!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . for artificial testosterone. It's what Floyd tested positive for.

If he did cheat, there's something about non-professional athletes who have to resort to this that I will never understand. While I like to win as much as anybody, to have this degree of seemingly compulsive ego need--when it does nothing but gratify your ego--is just beyond me.

BBD
exogenous testosterone is detectable but lots of guys his age are legitamately replacing their test, not for improved performance. Just using this thread as a basis I suspect he was performance oriented.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM

as of the date that picture was taken, he don't have low T...and if you have low T, any dose your doc is gonna give you aint gonna make you look like that. I think it's really, really hard for people over the age of 40 to have 2% body fat, and be muscular, without being on roids.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Is that guy in the picture 55??? darn... I was like him I would be wining races in the area pedaling with one leg tied to my back!! darn....

That guy should be banned for life to set an example... no kidding.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM

I think Moats was a pro for a while if I remember correctly
Cheers
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
as of the date that picture was taken, he don't have low T...and if you have low T, any dose your doc is gonna give you aint gonna make you look like that. I think it's really, really hard for people over the age of 40 to have 2% body fat, and be muscular, without being on roids.
True but if you had been athletic your whole life it's conceivable you could appear very fit and have low T. I agree that degree of fittness is hard to imagine with low testosterone. I've not been that lean probably ever def not since I left the marine corps over 30 years ago.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Is that guy in the picture 55??? darn... I was like him I would be wining races in the area pedaling with one leg tied to my back!! darn....

That guy should be banned for life to set an example... no kidding.
With those abs, do they even need washing machine at home?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Slowtwitch has a lot of stories about this guy. People have suspected him of doping for years and years. He is also well known for drafting during tris.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM

I think some on here are mistaken in what T will do.

You can use all the T and HGH in the world and it won't make you look like that!

It won't make you lean, or fast! It will allow you to train harder and recover quicker! So for the people passing judgement by the way he looks, haha. It doesn't work like that.

You have to train your ass off, diet like you wouldn't believe, and train some more. Then and only if you have been blessed with a genetic structure to be a great bike rider, will it work. Yea, it's an edge, and a cheat, but just because you shoot yourself in the butt with T and under your skin with HGH, doesn't make you look like that or be that fast!

Take Barry Bonds, Do you really think taking PEDs let him hit a curve ball?
Maybe he hit it further, but training and skill allowed him to hit it at all.

(rant over)
Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I think some on here are mistaken in what T will do.

You can use all the T and HGH in the world and it won't make you look like that!

It won't make you lean, or fast! It will allow you to train harder and recover quicker! So for the people passing judgement by the way he looks, haha. It doesn't work like that.

You have to train your ass off, diet like you wouldn't believe, and train some more. Then and only if you have been blessed with a genetic structure to be a great bike rider, will it work. Yea, it's an edge, and a cheat, but just because you shoot yourself in the butt with T and under your skin with HGH, doesn't make you look like that or be that fast!

Take Barry Bonds, Do you really think taking PEDs let him hit a curve ball?
Maybe he hit it further, but training and skill allowed him to hit it at all.

(rant over)
I know how it works. No one here thinks you take a shot and suddenly you look like that dude. I never said the guy didn't train his a$$ off. All I said is that it is extremely hard to have that much incredibly lean muscle at the age of 55 without using roids. Roids are powerful drugs; used in conjunction with a hard-core training regimen, they are far more than a little "edge."
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM

I told my wife and she said... "is he 55?, he should be taking something.. and the 60 y/o woman at his side too.."

Some people is just too competitive and this guy might be the clear example of that. Many guys here raced for years, some are actually racing and sure time to time see those 35 to 45 y/o racers that get all pissed off because they lose a race and are just stuck in cat 3 for years when is clear that the guy already did not make it in the world of racing and should be competing just for fun The guys that have that misconception are the ones that lately have been showing up with doping, anybody remember the other old guy in a club that was doping and was kicked up his team maybe like 6 months ago?

Some guys just dont get it... I would ban him for life... problems in the head...
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM

The rumor is USADA had a big test pool of pros and AGers at Kona this year. I'd expect a few to get popped.

T is one of the insidious rumors around elite distance runners. The rumor mongers are convinced that some use low levels of T dosing to lift their T back to more normal levels. The thinking is endurance running suppresses T in male distance runners.

The Kenyans recently had a doping case. The response of the Kenyan federation has been to order out all foreign coaches and close the border. Since most out of season testing is controlled by the locals, problem solved.

There is probably much much more use of PEDs than we realize. I just tend to think the ones that get caught are the ones that get too greedy when all you need is a 'little' and not 'a lot'.