Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 11:16 AM

Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra value

So, there is a Re-issue, Merckx Corsa Extra frame and fork in 7-11 colors at a local shop. I can buy it for $1000.

I really want to buy it and try it out in comparison to my MXL. I would keep which ever one I like the ride on better.

It does not look like it has been built up. There are no marks on the steerer tube from a stem. And it looks newish. Like it has been sitting around the shop for 25 years.

If it was a Motorola edition I would have already bought it.

My question is- How much money do you think I would lose if I turned around and sold it if I liked the MXL better?

G
Old 10-17-2020, 11:55 AM

From what I’ve seen on eBay I reckon you could break even, or at most loose $1-200.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:23 PM

I'm not an expert, but if the frame is NOS, I would think that price might be reasonable. Obviously, not a huge market for it, but for the right consumer I would think 1-G is not outrageous, considering new steel Colnago's go for close to $3000. YMMV.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:44 PM

For truly new, or as close to new as possible, that’s relatively reasonable. Run of the mill Merckx frames in very good condition and common colors often fetch prices in the $500-650 range. There’s a premium for 7-11 and Motorola, an additional premium for Corsa Extra because of the tubing used, and another premium for being a reissue. I’ve owned (and own) a bunch of Merckx frames and my favorites have always been CE’s in SLX. Certainly a slightly softer and more sprightly ride than MAX/MXL.

You don’t mention size, but if it’s in the 55-58cm range it would be hard to lose much money on the scenario you are contemplating. Bigger or smaller = reduced resale market size.

Last edited by rccardr; 10-17-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:54 PM
Small ring

I sold this used one for asking price ($900). Not the re-issue, which I thought sold for less, but idk.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...7&postcount=10

Last edited by zmudshark; 10-17-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the input. I haven't found too many that are not built up to compare.
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I sold this used one for asking price ($900). Not the re-issue, which I thought sold for less, but idk.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...7&postcount=10
Old 10-17-2020, 04:42 PM

It's a 55cm. I may just go ahead and pick it up. My MXL does feel a little stiff to me and it does not sound like I would lose (much) money to try it out.
Thanks,
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
For truly new, or as close to new as possible, that’s relatively reasonable. Run of the mill Merckx frames in very good condition and common colors often fetch prices in the $500-650 range. There’s a premium for 7-11 and Motorola, an additional premium for Corsa Extra because of the tubing used, and another premium for being a reissue. I’ve owned (and own) a bunch of Merckx frames and my favorites have always been CE’s in SLX. Certainly a slightly softer and more sprightly ride than MAX/MXL.

You don’t mention size, but if it’s in the 55-58cm range it would be hard to lose much money on the scenario you are contemplating. Bigger or smaller = reduced resale market size.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

That's not that far off from original retail when they came out(I think $1200?).
I have owned new SLX, SL, TSX and MXL Merckx's..I rate the MXLeader one of the 3 best frames I have ever ridden(Ciocc-SL and Mondonico-Neuron)..

Altho I 'liked' the SL, SLX,TSX Merckx's, the very best was and is the MXLeader.

BUT, I'd say get it, ride it and compare..you won't lose a ton of $ reselling either of them, if anything at all.

If the MXLeader 'feels' a little stiff(and it is a 'varsity' frame)..try bigger tires, wee bit less psi..
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl916 View Post
It's a 55cm. I may just go ahead and pick it up. My MXL does feel a little stiff to me and it does not sound like I would lose (much) money to try it out.
Thanks,
G

Depending on the size, condition and price of either frame; I could be a potential safety net.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM

I’ve only ridden SLX Corsa Extras, which I “liked”, but preferred an SL De Rosa for the ride. Seemed to have more personality. I buy Merckxs as much for the paint as the ride.

Testing both is a good idea if you don’t mind waiting awhile to sell the one you cut loose.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That's not that far off from original retail when they came out(I think $1200?).
I have owned new SLX, SL, TSX and MXL Merckx's..I rate the MXLeader one of the 3 best frames I have ever ridden(Ciocc-SL and Mondonico-Neuron)..

Altho I 'liked' the SL, SLX,TSX Merckx's, the very best was and is the MXLeader.

BUT, I'd say get it, ride it and compare..you won't lose a ton of $ reselling either of them, if anything at all.

If the MXLeader 'feels' a little stiff(and it is a 'varsity' frame)..try bigger tires, wee bit less psi..
I like the way my MXL handles, and I could get used to the stiffness with a few tweaks I think.

It had 25mm Conti's on it. I am trying 27mm Vittoria Open Paves but haven't ridden it yet as I don't have the BB for my Chorus 9 and don't feel like putting the Ritchey cranks back on.

The Cont's actually measure 25mm in width and the height leaves me only about 2mm clearance, if that. The Pave's actually measure 24.5mm in width.

I bought a set of Hyperons that should arrive today to play with. I have no idea how the ride will be with those, but I have always wanted a set!
g
Old 10-19-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
I’ve only ridden SLX Corsa Extras, which I “liked”, but preferred an SL De Rosa for the ride. Seemed to have more personality. I buy Merckxs as much for the paint as the ride.

Testing both is a good idea if you don’t mind waiting awhile to sell the one you cut loose.
I have never ridden a DeRosa, but always like how they looked. I think there is one on the local CL but have too many bike projects going on right now to they one.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Depending on the size, condition and price of either frame; I could be a potential safety net.
Good to know. I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Don’t Agree

Not sure I agree with the above. I find it’s harder to find bikes in a 53/54. Not a bike that claims to be a 53/54 like a Pegoretti or a sloping Colnago. I’ve been looking for an MX Leader in a 53 or 54 with no luck. Similarly an Ottrot in a similar size is hard if not impossible to find. I think a smaller frame, in NOS condition might actually fetch more than 1K
Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
You don’t mention size,
He did, it's a 55.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...60&postcount=7