Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
You won't regret it, best $13.50 I probably ever spent in 40 years of cycling. I wish I knew they existed prior to the last 3 or 4 weeks, I'd have bought one long ago. Even if you only have to use it a couple times a year you'll no longer get the cold sweats if you realize you need to change one of "those" tires... just don't get greedy and try to pop to much bead over the rim at one time even though you can now do it, keep it at a couple inches of that last six inches at a time and you'll be looking for an even harder tire to mount. And you'll no longer avoid buying tires you love but that you know are hard to mount...
This.

No more ‘cold sweats’ is right. The Tire Jack just makes that apprehension go away.

My bugaboo combo, at least in the old pre-tubeless days, was Campy wheels (like Neutrons or the older version Nucleons) with brand new Vittoria clinchers. Back then Campy’s rims seemed to be a mm or two larger than pretty much anyone else.

Then again, maybe they were just ahead of the game, setting up their tooling for road tubeless...
Old 04-17-2021, 09:28 AM

easy carry bead jack - Tyrekey

have not used it yet but got this one to carry on the bike. way more compact than the Kool Stop and hopefully works nearly as well:

https://www.performancebike.com/tyre...hoCqvgQAvD_BwE

or you can watch this dumb ass try to demonstrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5-lAAfkx3Y
Old 04-18-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post

My bugaboo combo, at least in the old pre-tubeless days, was Campy wheels (like Neutrons or the older version Nucleons) with brand new Vittoria clinchers.
Just got done putting a new Vittoria Corsa clincher on a Neutron.
Snapped a Continental lever.
Good thing no one was within earshot. They’d have learned some new hyphenated words.

Odd flat today.
I ran over a stick. The culprit was about 1 1/8” long and 1/4” in diameter. It went through the tire and one side of the tube, then into the valve stem. A few wheel revolutions really mashed that guy in pretty tight.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM

Received the EZ Clincher tire jack today, was surprised at the size, smaller than I thought even though they were described as being 5". Much smaller than the Kool Stop. It's like a Kool Stop "junior". The profile is a little different, I suspect to provide more leverage with the shorter handle. I'd say perfect size for sticking in a jersey pocket. I'd say Kool Stop for shop work and hopefully EZ Clincher for Road Work...

I'll provide an update after I try it. Might be a few days as I don't have any tire changing plans at the moment, at least not tight tire changing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210419_143618852.jpg (36.8 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by A1A; 04-19-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 PM

EZ-Clincher!

First time I've seen that tool. Website says works on tires up to 28c. Would like to hear how it works, what size tires, and do you think it could work on bigger tires like up to 32 or 35?

Quote:
Received the EZ Clincher tire jack today, was surprised at the size, smaller than I thought even though they were described as being 5". Much smaller than the Kool Stop. It's like a Kool Stop "junior". The profile is a little different, I suspect to provide more leverage with the shorter handle. I'd say perfect size for sticking in a jersey pocket. I'd say Kool Stop for shop work and hopefully EZ Clincher for Road Work...

I'll provide an update after I try it. Might be a few days as I don't have any tire changing plans at the moment, at least not tight tire changing...
Old 04-19-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
First time I've seen that tool. Website says works on tires up to 28c. Would like to hear how it works, what size tires, and do you think it could work on bigger tires like up to 32 or 35?
For sure, I run 23's on my road bikes and 32's on my cross bike, I will try it on both. The real test will be trying it on those Michelin Pro Race 3's mounted on my 2004 Dura Ace Tubeless rims that brought me to my knees after decades of tire mounting and led to my discovering the joys of the Kool Stop jack to begin with.

I think the key with the EZ Clincher will be moving along the rim in slightly smaller increments due to less leverage with the smaller device. But that may be a good thing. The temptation with the Kool Stop is to see how much bead you can pop over the rim at one time. I remember the first time I used the Kool Stop I was so excited I did come close to overdoing it, too much of a good thing...

Last edited by A1A; 04-19-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Kool Stop
Thanks for this tip! I didn't even know these things existed but ordered one the day you posted. It finally arrived today (that's another story) and let me tell you - the tire was on in 2 or 3 minutes. It was so easy I actually had the thought "what other tires do I need to mount".

-Bob
Old 04-26-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_in_pa View Post
Thanks for this tip! I didn't even know these things existed but ordered one the day you posted. It finally arrived today (that's another story) and let me tell you - the tire was on in 2 or 3 minutes. It was so easy I actually had the thought "what other tires do I need to mount".

-Bob
Glad to hear it. I did the same thing. Mounted my one overly-tight tire and then packed the tool in my travel tool roll. I ruined a good gravel tire on Saturday, and actually am looking forward to the replacement coming in the mail in two days.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:

This thing work?

I've used a Kool-Stop a million times at a shop but I don't have one at home.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:08 PM

I have two large steel tire levers from my days mountain biking on the north shore. They will get any tire on.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2021, 06:34 PM
ZhugeLiang

A few years ago I found myself in the same place as far as tire installation goes...I gotta find myself the indestructible tire lever...and I did for the most part. I have acquired most of them.

Then, I insisted on using proper techniques and some tire cheats that are already mentioned on this thread.

Now, those levers mostly stay in the box.

Only my hands.

Occasionally, I will use them but rarely.

So far so good.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:58 PM

Is the Kool Stop thingy pretty self explanatory when you get it, or is there a bit of a learning curve?
Old 04-26-2021, 09:29 PM

It’s not rocket science. Search YouTube — there are a bunch of explanatory videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2021, 10:43 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
A few years ago I found myself in the same place as far as tire installation goes...I gotta find myself the indestructible tire lever...and I did for the most part. I have acquired most of them.

Then, I insisted on using proper techniques and some tire cheats that are already mentioned on this thread.

Now, those levers mostly stay in the box.

Only my hands.

Occasionally, I will use them but rarely.

So far so good.
i took great pride in always being able to get clinchers on with only hands... its just been these freaken vittorias that have been ridiculous
Old 04-27-2021, 01:51 AM

Not going to be surprised if this thread generates about $1300+ in sales for those Kool Stop Bead Jacks. I ordered mine before I got off the first page. Picked up another for a friend, too.

Never knew they existed and was just recently struggling with a few tires. I pride myself on being a thumbs-only guy but lately it ain't doing the job. Can't wait to see how easy this tool actually is.