Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 02:57 AM

+1 for the pushing the tire beads into the center of the rim - has helped me a lot the last couple of years (and a big amount of patience...;-)

Have some new Challenge strada bianca pro which I bought second hand as I suspect the seller gave up on fitting them - threw them on to an old pair of Alu rims using levers without tube sand let them sit there for a few months - tried the front one last week on another wheel with carbon rim and an aged to mount it with hands only and patience but went easier than expected in the end
Old 04-16-2021, 06:48 AM

I spent over an hour trying to mount a new pair of Schwalbe X-One All-Round tires. These are without a doubt the tightest tires I've ever mounted.

In the process I managed to kill 2 tubes, broke a plastic tire lever and bent a couple of no-name steel levers. Finally got the front on with Park TL5s but the experience was unpleasant. I tapped out.

So can someone tell me more about bead jacks? Is there a preferred brand?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-16-2021, 07:05 AM
It's Polly!

Then you get some rim/tire combinations that are so loose it causes you to worry if its going to blow off. I just mounted some 47-559 Schwalbe Marathons like this yesterday. Nothing to worry about really, because once the beads hooked into the hooked rim, it was tight and true.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_in_pa View Post
I spent over an hour trying to mount a new pair of Schwalbe X-One All-Round tires. These are without a doubt the tightest tires I've ever mounted.

In the process I managed to kill 2 tubes, broke a plastic tire lever and bent a couple of no-name steel levers. Finally got the front on with Park TL5s but the experience was unpleasant. I tapped out.

Thanks,
Bob
I feel your pain, I broke 2 Pedros levers trying to mount those exact tires a little while back. Did end up working with some of the tips above though. I will buy a bead jack to mount them before CX season this year so I don't have to be screaming curse words in my basement again.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Bob
Kool Stop
Old 04-16-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Kool Stop
Second's on the "Kool Stop" although I just ordered two "EZ Clincher" tire jacks that I stumbled on which appear to be a smaller more portable (5") version of the Kool Stop. If they work as well as the Kool Stop I'll throw one in my jersey pocket when I ride a bike that has super tight tires. I just mounted a pair of Michelin Pro Race 3's onto a 2004 ish vintage set of Dura Ace tubeless rims. It's what led to my research and buying the Kool Stop jack. OMG, what a relief the Kool Stop is for shop work when you have that recalcitrant tire / rim combo. I spent over an hour trying to mount just one those puppies on the rim destroying two tubes and actually breaking an old Pedro's Milk Lever which are in my experience the most durable of any lever other than maybe steel which I don't like to use. I think they are made from melted down re-purposed plastic milk jugs. I didn't think they were breakable. I have a lot of patience but I ran out an hour into trying to mount that tire and gave up. Is there such a thing as "tire mounting" rage? If there is I had it...

I'll report back on the EX Clincher once I receive and try one.

https://ezclincher.com/

Last edited by A1A; 04-16-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:19 AM

sometimes you need one or two levers and another hand

if the tire is really tight even with two levers a part of the tire bead keeps slipping off. if you feel like 3 hands is the solution then you need a Crank Bros Speedier lever. The weird non-normal lever side of the tool can be stuck "onto" the rim and hold the part that is already seated in place while you work on the unseated part. Then you can use your free hand to hold the other side while you use a regular lever to lift the middle part over the lip of the rim. I had one in my tool box forever but it was never comfortable to use as a lever, but it does work the way I describe:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

Last edited by eddief; 04-16-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:57 AM

Tight tires

The VAR tire lever works, but not as effectively as a bead jack, but more portable for fitting in a saddle bag.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:01 AM

Vittoria Corsa G 25s on Campy WTO 45s. Hardest I've ever seen in all my born days....
Old 04-16-2021, 11:23 AM
n - 1

Quote:

Thanks,
Bob
Do you have tubeless tape installed? (Even if you’re running tubes)
Did you try a hot bucket of water or put it in the dryer?
Old 04-16-2021, 11:50 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The VAR tire lever works, but not as effectively as a bead jack, but more portable for fitting in a saddle bag.
looking at designs like this, i cant help but wonder why the crap other tire levers arent like this

also liking the idea of this bead jack yall keep referencing... never even knew such a thing existed! upgrading my arsenal
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone. Kool Stop bead jack is on order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Do you have tubeless tape installed? (Even if you’re running tubes)
Did you try a hot bucket of water or put it in the dryer?
I did try leaving them in the sun for a while and they were noticeably warm to the touch.
No tubeless tape. These are old school wheels they have Velox cloth tape installed. I'm sure thinner tape would help but I doubt it would have been enough.

This is what these things did to a steel tire lever. I also ordered some sealant for any roadside repair. I'm not sure I'd be able to change a tube with my typical levers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.JPG (31.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:44 PM

You won't regret it, best $13.50 I probably ever spent in 40 years of cycling. I wish I knew they existed prior to the last 3 or 4 weeks, I'd have bought one long ago. Even if you only have to use it a couple times a year you'll no longer get the cold sweats if you realize you need to change one of "those" tires... just don't get greedy and try to pop to much bead over the rim at one time even though you can now do it, keep it at a couple inches of that last six inches at a time and you'll be looking for an even harder tire to mount. And you'll no longer avoid buying tires you love but that you know are hard to mount...

Quote:

I did try leaving them in the sun for a while and they were noticeably warm to the touch.
No tubeless tape. These are old school wheels they have Velox cloth tape installed. I'm sure thinner tape would help but I doubt it would have been enough.

This is what these things did to a steel tire lever. I also ordered some sealant for any roadside repair. I'm not sure I'd be able to change a tube with my typical levers.

Last edited by A1A; 04-16-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:31 PM
n - 1

Quote:

You’d be surprised how much tubeless tape helps.

https://www.truckerco.com/product-pa...m-x-50m-roll-1
Old 04-16-2021, 03:01 PM

Broke down and bought a Kool Stop tire jack. Problem resolved.

But what an unnecessary pain in the ass.