Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2021, 01:02 PM
jp! jp! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 28
2019 Giant Revolt - Custom 2x GRX Di2

Essentially finished my winter bike build project taking a vanilla Giant Revolt with 1x SRAM Apex and completely overhauling every single bit to my preferences.

Initial ride impressions: Fits me like a glove. Comfortable, lively handling and fast acceleration. Can't wait to get this outside of the local urban gravel.

To do: Install different stem (from 2021 model), order a new rear tire (currently old tire with a tube), eventually install a K-Edge chain catcher.

Specs:
2x GRX RX-815 Di2 (48/31 with a SRAM PG1170 11-36 cassette)
BB: Wheels Mfg BB86 Pressfit
Wheels: HED Emporia GC3 Pro Carbon
Rotors: 160mm Shimano XTR RT-MT900-S
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL 70 XPLR
Tape: Supacaz 'Super Sticky Kush Galaxy' in oilslick
Cages: King Cage Ti
Pedals: Look X-Track Race Carbon Ti
Misc: Robert Axle Thru-axles, Terske Oil Slick Titanium Water Bottle Cage Bolts

Weight - Currently 18.8 lbs with pedals and cages but final build weight will be a bit lighter.













Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (137.3 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (139.8 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (139.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (157.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (121.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (112.8 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (99.4 KB, 293 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 PM
harblhat harblhat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 77
Nice! I've got a 2019 and have wondered about a Di2 retrofit. The main roadblock for me is there's seemingly no way to route the FD Di2 cable connection without drilling the frame or splicing the cable since the plug is too big to fit through the existing hole. Curious to know what you did there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2021, 01:43 PM
BlueHampsten BlueHampsten is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 224
Beautiful bike and first rate build.

Congratulations and enjoy your rides on it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2021, 01:50 PM
jp! jp! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by harblhat View Post
Nice! I've got a 2019 and have wondered about a Di2 retrofit. The main roadblock for me is there's seemingly no way to route the FD Di2 cable connection without drilling the frame or splicing the cable since the plug is too big to fit through the existing hole. Curious to know what you did there.
Ah yes! I cut the wire and fed it through the small hole then I spliced/crimped the wires using aviation spec environmental butt splices: 'Raychem M81824/1-1 Sealed In-Line Crimp Splice'. I've haven't seen anyone use these for Di2 but I can say they work very well, even with such a small diameter wire. I've seen others solder their wires but in some circles splicing/crimping wires is considered more reliable (if done properly). Either way the tricky part is even getting such small wires stripped without damaging the wire strands.





Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9167.jpg (136.2 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg FD.jpg (50.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9101.jpg (85.4 KB, 277 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2021, 01:55 PM
jp! jp! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post
Beautiful bike and first rate build.

Congratulations and enjoy your rides on it!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 PM
harblhat harblhat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp! View Post
Ah yes! I cut the wire and fed it through the small hole then I spliced/crimped the wires using aviation spec environmental butt splices: 'Raychem M81824/1-1 Sealed In-Line Crimp Splice'. I've haven't seen anyone use these for Di2 but I can say they work very well, even with such a small diameter wire. I've seen others solder their wires but in some circles splicing/crimping wires is considered more reliable (if done properly). Either way the tricky part is even getting such small wires stripped without damaging the wire strands.

This is excellent, thank you! Doing something like this is a bit beyond my comfort level, but maybe I'll work up to it. Not like GRX parts are readily available now anyways...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2021, 09:30 PM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp! View Post
Ah yes! I cut the wire and fed it through the small hole then I spliced/crimped the wires using aviation spec environmental butt splices: 'Raychem M81824/1-1 Sealed In-Line Crimp Splice'. I've haven't seen anyone use these for Di2 but I can say they work very well, even with such a small diameter wire. I've seen others solder their wires but in some circles splicing/crimping wires is considered more reliable (if done properly). Either way the tricky part is even getting such small wires stripped without damaging the wire strands.






This is supercool how you did this! Thanks for the deats.

In addition, I really like what you did with the build! Enjoy your new rig!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Moots RSL, Kirk JKS, and Alliance All-road.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2021, 10:40 PM
jpang922 jpang922 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 171
Nice build! Did Giant make the FD hole bigger later on? There seems to be a stock 2x GRX model: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...ced-pro-1-2021
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 AM
jp! jp! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpang922 View Post
Nice build! Did Giant make the FD hole bigger later on? There seems to be a stock 2x GRX model: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...ced-pro-1-2021
Exactly. This is a non-issue on the 2021 frames as they made a separate and larger hole for Di2 wires.

2021 Frameset: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...-frameset-2021
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2021, 10:52 AM
bsullivan94 bsullivan94 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 39
Absolutely incredible build.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.