Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Moots Vamoots!

Recently acquired Moots Vamoots. Excited to build it up.

It's a 55 from 2000, but hardly ridden. Bought from original owner who watched it being built in Steamboat Springs.

Ti stem and seatpost. Original Ouzo fork and CK headset.

Thoughts and comments welcome, as I have no experience with Moots. I do have a ti Dean El Diente and will be interesting to compare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moots2.jpg (70.5 KB, 1024 views)

Last edited by Bruce K; 06-14-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 PM

So its for sale now ??

Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 PM

Congrats you hit the jackpot with that one .)

Posted in the wrong category yeah?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM

This is the one that was PSA'd right? Congrats on getting it, I wish I could've nabbed it.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Whoops. Wrong forum. Being moved now...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 AM

I have a Moots Compact from 2005 (I think). The one thing I did later on in that bike's life was replace the fork with a Moots fork designed for that frame. The handling ability was a notable improvement. It corners on rails now. So since you were asking for advice, I'd replace the fork. That fork is old and unknown too so there is a safety concern. The Moots forks were very expensive when i bought it as they had just started making them but I think you can get them for around $200 bucks now.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 AM

I understand your concern re forks. In this case, however, I know the history and I actually like the handling of the Ouzo pros. Otoh, the matching ti finish looks really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I have a Moots Compact from 2005 (I think). The one thing I did later on in that bike's life was replace the fork with a Moots fork designed for that frame. The handling ability was a notable improvement. It corners on rails now. So since you were asking for advice, I'd replace the fork. That fork is old and unknown too so there is a safety concern. The Moots forks were very expensive when i bought it as they had just started making them but I think you can get them for around $200 bucks now.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Try the Ouzo first. I had an older (2009) Moots fork made by Alpha Q and didn't like it. I swapped it out with a Serotta F3 and couldn't be happier. And I think your Ouzo Pro will be similar. Though I'm sure the newer forks are very good too. Anyway, I'm guessing you're gonna love the bike. I love my Compact. Post more pics when it's built up.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:16 PM

Congrats on the purchase!

As you know, I have a Vamoots that is almost a twin to yours. I love it! However, it wasn't love at first ride. In fact, it was almost kicked out of the garage fairly quickly. After playing with different wheelsets and spending time on the bike, I came to love it and realized that I was just as fast on the Vamoots as the MXLeader or C40 and it was more comfortable. It's become one of my all time, favorite bikes.

Interestingly, it was originally purchased as a bike for rainy days, but the thing sucks water into the frame like no other bike I've ever had. Crazy. Still not sure how all of the water ends up in there...

Texbike
Old 06-15-2019, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Congrats on the purchase!

As you know, I have a Vamoots that is almost a twin to yours. I love it! However, it wasn't love at first ride. In fact, it was almost kicked out of the garage fairly quickly. After playing with different wheelsets and spending time on the bike, I came to love it and realized that I was just as fast on the Vamoots as the MXLeader or C40 and it was more comfortable. It's become one of my all time, favorite bikes.

Interestingly, it was originally purchased as a bike for rainy days, but the thing sucks water into the frame like no other bike I've ever had. Crazy. Still not sure how all of the water ends up in there...

Texbike
I have one from about 2006 or so and I love it..'brother' to my MXLeader..wet weather bike also..drill a drain hole in BB for H2) exit..
Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 PM

Congrats on the frame—they are truly timeless. Re the fork, if the frame is from 2000, is the steerer 1” or 1-1/4”? If it’s 1”, replacement choices are limited. In any case, Moots didn’t start offering forks until 2010 (sourced from Alpha-Q, and when Alpha-Q went belly up, direct from a manufacturer in Asia). If you asked them about forks before that, they would tell you that the geometry of the frames assumed the dimensions of the Ouzo Pro. If you have confidence in its history, that’s very helpful. A lot can happen to parts over 19 years.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM

It's a 1 1/8" steerer. I may be wrong about the year. Moots thought it could be 2001-2003. Would be nice to see early catalogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Congrats on the frame—they are truly timeless. Re the fork, if the frame is from 2000, is the steerer 1” or 1-1/4”? If it’s 1”, replacement choices are limited. In any case, Moots didn’t start offering forks until 2010 (sourced from Alpha-Q, and when Alpha-Q went belly up, direct from a manufacturer in Asia). If you asked them about forks before that, they would tell you that the geometry of the frames assumed the dimensions of the Ouzo Pro. If you have confidence in its history, that’s very helpful. A lot can happen to parts over 19 years.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Those blue and white stripes are a giveaway that it’s an early 2000’s frame. Maybe the main decals were replaced, but the earlier version of the decals had “Cycles” after “MOOTS,” in a skinny, serif font.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Did they have info about your particular serial number? My Rigormootis is a 2002 and they had the details from my serial number. Either way, you've got a super nice frameset. Ride the heck out of it!
Old 08-12-2019, 03:48 PM

More Moots

So two months on and quite a few rides later, I'm loving this bike.
Switched to a compact crankset and will put on lighter wheels soon to make the climbing easier.

Maybe a size too large but the ride is nonpareil. Amazing in every respect: handling, ride quality, smoothness.

Now I get why Texbike considers it the best of his considerable collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-08-12 13.44.29.jpg (111.7 KB, 293 views)