Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 PM

I visited Slovenia 3 times when I was a student back in the late 60's. I loved that place. ljubljana and Slovenia were cool back then even when part of Tito's Yugoslavia and the people were special. Cycling there would be a real treat as you attest. Great report, makes me wanna go.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Just curious.

How did you choose Slovenia for a trip?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Thanks all for the compliments on the photos. But I must give all the credit to Slovenia. Makes it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Great pics, Adam. Some of those forest shots look like you could either be in Oregon or the Santa Cruz mountains.
To be the ugly American: what was the ability to communicate in English in smaller villages?
@steve very easy from my experience. I am pretty accustomed to traveling and working my way around language barriers, but I found Slovenia to be very easy logistically and nearly everyone I spoke to spoke pretty good english. Every single young person seemed to and even the older generation most of them did. One example, I stopped along my route to ask a woman if the mountain hut a few miles from her farm she expected would be open or closed. She did not speak english and we had trouble figuring out that question but she ran and grabbed her son inside who spoke perfect english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Just curious.

How did you choose Slovenia for a trip?
@gomango I touched on this in my bloggy but back in 2006 I was in college and backpacked around Eastern Europe for 2 months. I went to Slovenia and absolutely loved it. I had just started getting into bikes at that point in life but it always stuck in my head as a great place to go see by bicycle. I also met a beautiful Canadian girl on the train from Venice to Ljubljana and we had this amazing night wandering around Ljubljana, found a bicycle unlocked which we borrowed for a midnight romantic cruise then returned it, and saw each other every once in a while for a couple years after. That helped leave me with a fondness for Slovenia.
I got myself committed to another bike trip and then stumbled across this Slovenia bike tourism brochure and the Alpine Association mountain huts program, and my mind was made up.
Also, the fly fishing looks amazing. The permits are oppressively expensive for whatever reason, but I'm hoping I can figure out another trip that combines fishing and more bikes in the eastern side of the country.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:48 AM

Very nice write up and pics--sounds like it was a blast!

I hope I get moving on another tour sometime soon!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM

this is slovenia, thats next on our list! the fishing there is very very good, and they have marble trout!
been waiting for these pics!

Last edited by Mzilliox; 06-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Like your bike
Old 06-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post

@gomango
Also, the fly fishing looks amazing. The permits are oppressively expensive for whatever reason, but I'm hoping I can figure out another trip that combines fishing and more bikes in the eastern side of the country.
Thanks. Appreciate the info and it looks amazing.

FWIW My wife has family in Bayern and every time we visit (every 2-3) years we road trip to Croatia. Usually the Dalmation coastline and stay on Trogir. We drive through and visit many areas along the way including Slovenia. It is easily some of the most beautiful countryside we have yet to see. I agree about the fly fishing issue. Permits are quite expensive, so we end up fishing in Croatia instead. Still, that wouldn't stop me once we pay for the kid's college tuition.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Terrific write-up and photos, thanks so much for sharing!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 AM

Great trip, you're a resourceful guy and willing to get out there in the unknown, bravo, much enjoyed the write-up and pics, made me want to load up the car and drive there.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Adam, what a great trip report - thanks for sharing.

I do have one comment: you need either a kickstand (just kidding) or a dedicated stick to pack along with your gear. I never got used to seeing the pictures of the bike lying on it's side - IMO it just doesn't seem right.

It would be tough to lug around something like the image below, but a bit of bamboo to put under a pedal or chainstay, and the bike won't have those embarrassing dirt nap episodes.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm glad the narrative is enjoyed. I awlays feel a little narcissistic writing them and posting on the internet, and it takes some time, but then I always enjoy reading through them years after the trips and happy to see it is appreciated here.

@Louis - ha. A kickstand definitely aint happening. Maybe I've just conditioned myself to them but I have learned to love the composition of my sleepy bike photos.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Everything is connected

Great story and thanks for sharing. My wife and I were in Italy back in April and our guide was from Slovenia. Very sharp and well traveled woman who only spoke about....5-6 languages. She's been working on getting us to visit her home country next year and your post might have put me over the edge.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Sounds like an amazing trip. Did you upload your rides on Strava by any chance, for those of us that might want to follow your path in the future?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Thanks for sharing! I'd have never known of this scenic gem. You did a great job writing about your adventure
Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 PM

@fa63 I'm on Strava but don't really use it much except for the rides that get uploaded automatically by the nav devices (I have a Hammerhead and a Wahoo)
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1109100

I'm more of a regular RWGPS user and create all my routes there and (usually) upload rides there.
https://ridewithgps.com/users/171883/

I did not include the Slovenia gps routes with the writeup because it's not a polished thoroughly thought through route and I'd have to go through and make edits before being something I'd officially recommend others do. Not to say it wasn't a really good route, but I'd change a few things if doing it again.