Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
I don't really understand why people think POC helmets look goofy. I think the more symmetrical shape of the vents makes them look clean.

It happens to be that POC helmets fit me well. I'm right at the top edge of fitting in the M size which probably has something to do with that.
Yeah I think this is it. More than most helmets, if you are on the low end of their size range or have a narrow head, they look kind of ridiculous. I'm hoping the new Omne or Ventral air with the smaller dimensions fit me better than the Octal. I have a narrow head and even though I'm near the top end of an M, the helmet looks ridiculously wide on me. As others before have said, exactly like Toad in Mariokart.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 PM

I just got a Sweet Protection helmet, just started shipping to the US. My brother has one and turned me onto them. Very sleek
Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Barely Hanging On

I have an Octal and the biggest issue is that it doesn't work well with a number of the sunglasses out there due to how far down in comes behind your ears. I like the helmet, but that's an annoyance. My next helmet will probably be a Kask.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
I have an Octal and the biggest issue is that it doesn't work well with a number of the sunglasses out there due to how far down in comes behind your ears. I like the helmet, but that's an annoyance. My next helmet will probably be a Kask.
POC has a few new designs that look so good
Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 PM

I have a POC Octal, 👍 for comfort and well vented. Wore for the last couple of seasons. However, I’m wearing the Kask Protone now and really like it. Similar to POC Octal as far as comfort but looks way better.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Boeuf Chane

👎

A) They look goofy

B) I refuse to buy anything who's name is an acronym for "piece of cr@p."
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Can't help you with the Poc's. I've also been using Giro's for a long time and recently bought a Kask...been mostly happy with this so far. My only minor complaint is how my sunglasses work with the Protone straps.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Love my POC Octal X.
I crashed with it pretty badly and didn't even feel the impact on my head as the helmet cracked.
FWIW, the crash insurance policy was also very straightforward with a 40% deal on up to 5 items, so I got skiing glasses and other gear at the same time.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Climb, go try on a few POC helmets to see if they fit your cranium. They either work for your head shape or they don't. From my job, I've learned that people's heads, like the rest of the human body, are infinitely variable in size and shape.

I bought an Octal (on sale) and I love it--fits me well, and is nice and airy in the summer. My 22-year-old son refuses to wear a helmet because he gets too hot. He tried the Octal and liked it enough to say he'd wear it consistently, so I ran out and bought him one. Got mine at the LBS, found my son's at Bike Closet.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Like others, I found ventilation fantastic, and it fits me well. Yes, longer sunglass/glasses arms interfere a little but I have enough space that they slide in, albeit not as smoothly as if I had a Giro on. Worlds better than my Giro Synthe (non MIPS). The smooth round shape is also really nice; if you've ever ridden with a backpack and the top loop snagged on the pointy back of the Giro, you'll appreciate not having to deal with that.

11.4 had a good writeup somewhere in the forum on them. The build is really nice. it's so nice when the foam is covered up with a shell on the edges. The helmet doesn't look super old from the little scratches the exposed foam gets from being moved around. Kind of like the old Giro Ionos which was my favourite helmet of all time.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
They're goofy assed looking. Get a Kask.
Agree about being goofy looking.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:59 PM

This is their new one, looks way better than the octo imho

https://www.pocsports.com/us/product...pin/10721.html
Old 04-09-2019, 03:20 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I use Octals (gravel) and Tectal (MTB), they fit and are comfortable. Looks like a bike helmet, not gonna win best dressed awards in any of them.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:02 PM

They might be great helmets but they are way to ugly for me to consider. When I see pro teams wearing them I always wonder if in addition to the helmets, are they also paid real money? Hope so.

Last edited by Hawker; 04-10-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM

Tried on the new ventral air yesterday. 1000x better looking than the Octal and really, really comfortable. Much slimmer profile than the Octal which is great.