Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM

what a gorgeous bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
Stinner is built somewhat around that geometry.
do you have a geo sheet you can post/share?
Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Geometry (or at least the important pieces). I provided some input to the Stinner folks on bikes I liked riding and where I rode, and they did the rest. One of the benefits of going with a local builder.

Chainstays: 420mm
BB Drop: 60mm
Trail: 105mm
Seattube angle: 72.5 degrees
Headtube angle: 66.5 degrees
Wheelbase: 1159mm

Updates with the bag moved to the back and fewer stickers:

Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 PM

The color(s?) are amazing! Like a midnight acid sunrise
Old 06-05-2019, 11:02 AM

Taking a sabbatical for a few months and decided this bike needed a little bit more "monster truck" feel for the proper enjoyment of my time off work. Enter 2.8" Minions...

Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Vendor

That's some serious rubber! Looks great.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
Geometry (or at least the important pieces). I provided some input to the Stinner folks on bikes I liked riding and where I rode, and they did the rest. One of the benefits of going with a local builder.

Chainstays: 420mm
BB Drop: 60mm
Trail: 105mm
Seattube angle: 72.5 degrees
Headtube angle: 66.5 degrees
Wheelbase: 1159mm

Updates with the bag moved to the back and fewer stickers:

Looks fun!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 AM

tires

Fellow SF rider here. Just got a set of minions myself to replace my chronicles. How do they ride compared to your tires with lower profile knobs? Do they have a noticeable difference in rolling resistance? Traction better on the steep climbs?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM

No experience riding in the bay area, but plenty on Minions/Rekons/Chronicles in 27.5+ and 29" flavors.

The Minions in both flavors feel sluggish and buzzy on excessively hard surfaces- your paved ride to the trailhead, hard dirt roads and singletrack. In practice, my paved ride to the trailhead (3.8 mi) is only 15-20 seconds on average slower on Minions than on faster rolling tires like the Rekons or Chronicles, a margin well within the error of how hard I'm pushing that day. Once you get to the trail (anything from kitty over hardpack to soft loamy goodness), the Minions absolutely rip. No detectable loss of speed on pedally sections. They have nice supportive sidewalls, so I'm running 11/14 psi front/rear at 175 lbs, whereas I need 14/19 on the Rekons (27.5x2.8" in both cases). There is a distinct edge channel and massive, well supported side knobs, so they love to really be leaned into a turn, almost like you are setting an edge while skiing. If you don't lean far enough to really engage the side knobs, they can feel a little vague. If your trails and riding style don't allow you to fully lean into the turns, I've found the Bontrager XR4 or SE4 to be a nice combo of durability, rolling resistance and grip, with the benefit of not having so pronounced an edge channel.

If you are worried about rolling resistance, maybe something like Minion DHF front and Rekon or Chronicle rear, though of these two I vastly prefer the Rekon. Too many washouts on Chronicles F and R, and it's got really vague feedback as a front. I rode mine about 6 times and then let them go.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM

I would echo a lot of what Jaybee said. The Minions come to life in the chunky stuff, and have noticeably more feedback on anything more solid than the Rekons I was running. I've never tried the Chronicle but as far as plus size 27.5+ tires go the Minions are my favorite so far (have tried Rekon, Ikon, and the WTB Vigilante). The Minions don't feel much slower in practice — it's a nearly-3" tire so they're all slow in their own way. The

Etu —*where are you riding? The Minions really shine down the coast in SC, or up at Annadel or Tamarancho where you need lots of grip in acute situations or where there are rocks. The cornering and braking of the Minions are both the best I've tried. I run Ardent / Ardent Race tires (29ers) if I'm doing anything in South Marin or even someplace like China Camp where the trail is a little more "predictable" and the turns are a little more open

I haven't tried a mix and match approach but the front Minion is such a boss I could see it working with a variety of rear tires.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Vendor

Sweet, sweet bike and awesome paint. I'm guessing that's Prayerbrook Cross in GGP and Fairy Gates on Mt. Sutro? Have you been over to Laguna Honda yet? The new trails are fantastic. It's amazing to have singletrack like that in the middle of a major city.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 PM

We really are spoiled it’s true. Lots of new options on Sutro, even. Tip your neighborhood trailbuilder!