Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2023, 12:24 PM

* real name Jay
* where do you live? Toronto
* explanation of your handle? Sheer lack of creativity!
* explanation of your avatar I find this and several other images of former presidents funny
* age (general or specific) 38
* occupation jaded messenger turned jaded wrench
* favorite bike? Previously’98 GT Edge Ti. Currently ‘04 Serotta Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Miele MTB w/ Clydesdale fork, 2004 Serotta Ottrott, Cyclops Track, 2011 Moots Mootour, Gardin Sports Touring
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 5000km
* make up and answer at least one additional question - Whats a cycling trend that truly shocks you? In hindsight I can’t believe how popular riding track bikes in metropolitan areas has become for over a decade?
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? No more bike purchases for the year.
* and, something fun. I’m really looking forward to taking the Moots on some vacations and exploring different places.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Man, I’ve been lurking this forum for so many years. Thought I’d take the plunge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E764CA9A-DC13-442B-9061-6A3560CDC41E.jpg (55.3 KB, 652 views)

Last edited by jmans; 02-09-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:04 PM

* Where do you live? Bounce between Davis and Santa Barbara, CA. Flat + windy, mountainous + beautiful (respectively).
* Explanation of your handle - My name + a noise
* Explanation of your avatar - Fun picture I had lying around on my computer that was small enough to meet the requirements.
* Age - 23
* Occupation - Mechanical Engineer
* Favorite bike - In the process of building a Canyon Endurace CF SLX (2019), Force AXS, Hyper D45.
* What's in your garage? Very humble Trek Domane AL2 (2019), Claris.
* Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I prefer to keep things under 50 mph on less technical descents. I love twisties so it's entirely dependent on the road. I'm no Safa Brian, unfortunately.
* How many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not sure, but I ride whenever I can!
* Picture of yourself or your ride? I'll post some ride photos
* Make up and answer at least one additional question: How many years will it take for the industry to converge on a reasonably low number of road bottom bracket standards? e.g. one pressfit, one or two threaded. Answer: yes.
* What is the biggest lie you've ever told? "I'm fine, everything is fine." after having to order and re-order various bottom brackets and spend a fortune on gas to have my LBS remove and install various BB's (all with correct shell size/type/spindle type) until the bearings would spin freely at spec'd torque.
* And, something fun - My dream career is to design bike frames and major components with the latest and greatest manufacturing processes and a healthy blend of form and function that isn't driven by marketing trends, but well-presented and easily understood data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210221_101153.jpg (67.7 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20221228_100803.jpg (105.7 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg original_98f1b3d2-ae23-4991-9dd7-2dc1bf211f56_IMG_20210923_180921__01.jpg (46.9 KB, 610 views)

Last edited by Gabeah; 02-13-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:10 PM
Administrator

warm welcome to our new forum pals.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabeah View Post
* Make up and answer at least one additional question: How many years will it take for the industry to converge on a reasonably low number of road bottom bracket standards? e.g. one pressfit, one or two threaded. Answer: yes.
Ha!

Quote:
* And, something fun - My dream career is to design bike frames and major components with the latest and greatest manufacturing processes and a healthy blend of form and function that isn't driven by marketing trends, but well-presented and easily understood data.
Welcome to the forum, Gabe. We all want what you want, and need more people like you entering the field. Thanks, and my greatest wishes for seeing that dream through to fruition.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:05 PM

* real name, if you like Phil
* where do you live? City of Oaks NC aka Raleigh
* explanation of your handle Fishing related
* explanation of your avatar None so far
* age (general or specific) Soon to be 71
* occupation Retired Cloud Herder, now part time bicycle slinger
* favorite bike Look 765
* what's in your stable? Gunnar Roadie Campy, Look 765 Optimum Campy
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 54, Prince William Forest Park 1974
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not as much as I would like 2000
* picture of yourself or your ride? See below for rides
* make up and answer at least one additional question. 250 B Class
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told This old thing? I’ve had it forever usually referring to a guitar
* and, something fun. 10 years slinging motorcycles
* How did you find the paceline Forum? bikeforums

Old 03-02-2023, 01:59 PM

* real name, Dean
* where do you live? Victoria British Columbia
* explanation of your handle, It's my name
* explanation of your avatar still trying to sort that part out
* age (general or specific) Early forties
* occupation it's complicated
* favorite bike probably the Surly crosscheck
* what's in your stable? A locally made Wildwood, a Marinoni, a couple Crosschecks, a Rocky mountain Sherpa touring bike, a bunch of other bikes as well. To be honest I just try not to upset my significant other with bike collecting which gets to be a little ridiculous sometimes.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I went 91 a few times
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? I never really keep track to be honest
* picture of yourself or your ride? I will eventually post something - Promise
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I'm married, I have children and a wife that keep me on my toes
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told This old thing? I'm not sure but I will get back to you on that
* and, something fun. I enjoy wheel building, some people find it fun
* How did you find the paceline Forum? I joined Paceline and Velocipede Salon a few years ago
I enjoy Instagram as well @deanhorsfall
Old 03-06-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanhorsfall View Post
* real name, Dean
* where do you live? Victoria British Columbia
* explanation of your handle, It's my name
* explanation of your avatar still trying to sort that part out
* age (general or specific) Early forties
* occupation it's complicated
* what's in your stable? A locally made Wildwood, a Marinoni, a couple Crosschecks, a Rocky mountain Sherpa touring bike, a bunch of other bikes as well. To be honest I just try not to upset my significant other with bike collecting which gets to be a little ridiculous sometimes.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I went 91 a few times
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? I never really keep track to be honest
* picture of yourself or your ride? I will eventually post something - Promise
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I'm married, I have children and a wife that keep me on my toes
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told This old thing? I'm not sure but I will get back to you on that
* and, something fun. I enjoy wheel building, some people find it fun
* How did you find the paceline Forum? I joined Paceline and Velocipede Salon a few years ago
I enjoy Instagram as well @deanhorsfall
Dean's here! Welcome. Dean is a cool guy...
Old 04-15-2023, 10:16 PM

My real name is a secret.

I look like a dog, so much so my dog identifies with me!

I live in NE Indiana

My handle is such because it has something to do with my secret, only one person has ever figured out what it meant since I've used that handle on many forums for more than 20 years, but as time has gone by others have taken that handle so a few forums have a different one.

I'm in my late 60s

My past occupation was my main one, it too is a secret, I'm currently semi-retired, and work as a landlord, but I don't work terribly hard at it.

Favorite bike? geez, I like all my bikes, but if I had to choose one out of all of them I would have to select the Masi Giromondo 700c even though I have another bike that cost 3 times as much, because I can go anywhere with it, and take my camping gear, something I can't do on any of my other bikes because they're all exclusively road bikes.

Stable wise, starting with the oldest bike, 77 Raleigh Competition GS which now has all Campy Nuovo Record stuff instead of the original Gran Sport, and replaced the original brakes with Campy; 84 Trek 660 bought as a frame and fork had all Suntour Superbe stuff put on; 84 Fuji Club, took off the crappy Suntour ARX and put on Suntour Superbe derailleurs; 84 Schwinn Voyageur with Shimano Deerhead; 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe with Suntour Montech, but that one has a bent fork from an accident, I'm still looking for a matching fork; 85 Miyata 512 my grandson rides; 87 Giant Rincon, piece of crap, only keeping it for the grandkids to ride; 88 Dawes found in dumpster missing a lot of stuff, if I can't find the fork for the Schwinn most of the components from it will go to the Dawes; 12 Giant kids bike; 13 Lynskey Peloton with Shimano Ultegra rear and 105 front, and an Enve 2.0 fork; and the 19 Masi Giromondo with Shimano Deore; 21 Trek Verve+ that my wife rides. I had 2 other different Miyata's, a Team, and a 712, but sold them all to a collector; also had a 07 Mercian Vincitore but that thing was so beautiful I couldn't ride it without fear of scratching it so I sold it because it drove me crazy.

The fastest speed that I know of was coming down Tram Way in Palm Springs California, and reached 62 mph on the 84 Trek.

Last year I put in only about 5,000 miles, now that I'm semi-retired I hope to put in about 8,000.

I'm married, have 2 adult children, and 3 grand children.

The biggest lie I've ever told...that's a secret too.

I really love bike camping and touring which I plan on doing more of. I also like to hunt and fish, and listen to my music loud in the house, which bothers my wife so I only get to do it once a week! LOL!! The other thing I love to do is sliding my car around these new roundabouts they've put in, so sometimes I go out late at night so I can do that without traffic slowing me down, I go around a couple of times and then leave the area before cops get there. I'm a crazy old man, but the way I see it, God gave us toys to play with while we're on Earth, and I intend on playing with as many of those toys as I can afford for as long as I can.

Last edited by froze; 04-15-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:34 AM

* real name, Leonard
* where do you live? here
* explanation of your handle, why not
* explanation of your avatar it's me
* age (general or specific) +-30
* occupation Asset property manager
* what's in your stable? just my bike
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? around 65
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Around a couple of thousand
* picture of yourself or your ride? when I can do it
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Are you Batman?
* and, something fun. Who are you to ask it
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Google help a lot on that
Old 04-22-2023, 09:35 AM

* real name, if you like: Jon
* where do you live? SW Virginia.... hilly
* explanation of your handle: essentially my name
* explanation of your avatar: none as of yet
* age (general or specific): mid 40s
* favorite bike: Kirk Onesto
* what's in your stable? Waterford 1200, Raleigh Rxc, 27.5 tandem, and Kirk Onesto
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? mid-50s, Virginia
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2,800
* picture of yourself or your ride? Attached...
* make up and answer at least one additional question: Yes, I've really lurked on the forum since 2013.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'll fix the truck before buying another bike...
* and, something fun. What's more fun than bikes?
* How did you find the paceline Forum? I wandered over from across the hall... stepped into the Kirk Frameworks thread and saw his Terraplane stays. I've been here ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plimage.jpg (57.9 KB, 338 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:57 AM

Chris in Taiwan

* real name, Christopher
* where do you live? Hsinchu City, Taiwan
* explanation of your handle D'uh
* explanation of your avatar The seat tube cluster on my Legend
* age (general or specific) 61 just a number
* occupation Pastissier
* favorite bike Merlin Newsboy
* what's in your stable? GT Zaskar LE, Raleigh Misceo I11, and maybe soon Raleigh XXIX
* picture of yourself or your ride? will put one up soon
* How long have you been riding bike Since age 5
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I can run a Marathon in less than 4 hours...
* and, something fun. Still don't feel stop riding bike
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* Searching for a Raleigh XXIX belt drive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31572724_Screen_Shot_2023-04-19_at_8.29.25_PM_1_23.jpg (108.0 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by urimare; 04-27-2023 at 01:07 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 05-04-2023, 04:00 PM

Smile

* where do you live? Los Angeles, CA
* explanation of your handle: it came to me in a dream
* explanation of your avatar: I don't have one yet.
* age (general or specific) 34
* occupation Micromobility
* favorite bike: Have my eyes on a Kirk Onesto Terraplane or a Sturdy 3D printed job
* what's in your stable? Ritte Satyr Ti, Crust Lightning Bolt Single Speed, Esker Hayduke gen 2.
* picture of yourself or your ride?

* How long have you been riding bikes: Since I was a young kid
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm bad at lying.
* and, something fun: I have a black cat named Carl.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Worked with Jaybe back at Rapha. Have been a registered lurker for several years now.

Last edited by baleendreams; 05-04-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: cleaning up image
Old 05-16-2023, 09:59 PM

* where do you live? Brooklyn, NY USA
* explanation of your handle: Initials and birth year. Boring.
* explanation of your avatar: I don't have one
* favorite bike: Anything ti, Colnago Master, Times
* what's in your stable? Crust Lightning Bolt, Esker Japhy Ti, Guerciotti

* How long have you been riding bike: Off and on since I was a kid. More seriously in the last few years.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I don't really tell big lies!
* and, something fun: I have to drive at least an hour each way from my home in Brooklyn to go mountain biking, but I still do it at least once a week when it's not freezing.
* How did you find the Paceline Forum?* From a bike shop owner in Seattle
Old 05-17-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmans View Post
* real name Jay
* where do you live? Toronto
* explanation of your handle? Sheer lack of creativity!
* explanation of your avatar I find this and several other images of former presidents funny
* age (general or specific) 38
* occupation jaded messenger turned jaded wrench
* favorite bike? Previously’98 GT Edge Ti. Currently ‘04 Serotta Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Miele MTB w/ Clydesdale fork, 2004 Serotta Ottrott, Cyclops Track, 2011 Moots Mootour, Gardin Sports Touring
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 5000km
* make up and answer at least one additional question - Whats a cycling trend that truly shocks you? In hindsight I can’t believe how popular riding track bikes in metropolitan areas has become for over a decade?
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? No more bike purchases for the year.
* and, something fun. I’m really looking forward to taking the Moots on some vacations and exploring different places.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Man, I’ve been lurking this forum for so many years. Thought I’d take the plunge.
I'm not sure if we're meant to reply in this thread but that RT is giving me the strongest flashbacks: mostly for the wired earpieces dispatch *really* wanted us to wear so customers couldn't heat the chatter, and flogging it across town because your 2nd battery had died, having to hand off all the jobs in your bag and get back to dispatch and hope there was a fresh battery there that would last the rest of the day. I can even remember the name of the comms company we had to lease those things off for some obscure but also really expensive reason.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:28 AM

* real name Andy
* where do you live? Northern California, Peninsula
* explanation of your handle? where I live
* explanation of your avatar? None so far
* age (general or specific) 50
* occupation software
* favorite bike Calfee Tetra Pro
* what's in your stable? Calfee Tetra Pro, Torelli Countach
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 30s? somewhere downhill
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not as much as I would like 1000
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What's the coolest bike you've ever ridden? PK Ripper, SE Quadangle
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? I'm not a good liar.
* and, something fun. windsurfed several years out here in bay area
* How did you find the paceline Forum? bikeforums