Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 10:27 AM

New Silca Stripchip

Exciting concept. I don't know the science, but I'm willing to try it out.

Basically, you drop one of these in your hot wax and it degreases the chain while also waxing the chain. no more stripping or new chain prep... just drop it in the hot wax for 10 minutes.

https://silca.cc/collections/chain-l...cts/strip-chip
Old 02-20-2024, 10:54 AM

But I just bought the Silca Degreaser! Not fair!
Old 02-20-2024, 11:05 AM

If it works as described that is nice. I never found the stripping part much of an issue, though, shaking in bottles or using an ultrasonic cleaner. It looks less wasteful for everything besides my wallet.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:07 AM

Nice,

To bad it doesn't work on a dirty used chain to both clean and wax but hey it's not magic.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:09 AM

Silca is all in on chain waxing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 11.08.53 AM.jpg (37.5 KB, 608 views)
Old 02-20-2024, 11:12 AM

I would still think that a proper degreasing of the chain would be better and less contamination of the wax that you spent a lot of $ on. This product seems to be oriented towards lazy people.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Silca is all in on chain waxing...
Sonofabitchimin..

Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 AM

I bet they did something that causes the strip chip to both strip whatever is on the chain and "capture" it so that it doesn't get distributed through the wax, or it is just incorporated into the wax in a way that doesn't matter.

If they are all in on this at least they seem to be coming out with products that make it easier and easier. That wax pot setup looks pretty cool and probably takes a lot less room than home grown setups.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I would still think that a proper degreasing of the chain would be better and less contamination of the wax that you spent a lot of $ on. This product seems to be oriented towards lazy people.
Isn't the #1 complaint from non-waxers ususally "ugh, but it'll take me Sooo MUCH TIIIIME". Seems like Silca is doing innovative things to answer those complaints.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I bet they did something that causes the strip chip to both strip whatever is on the chain and "capture" it so that it doesn't get distributed through the wax, or it is just incorporated into the wax in a way that doesn't matter.

If they are all in on this at least they seem to be coming out with products that make it easier and easier. That wax pot setup looks pretty cool and probably takes a lot less room than home grown setups.
https://escapecollective.com/silca-s...greased-chain/

The escape collective article briefly touches upon the science of it

Quote:
Unlike those at the Purdue University in Indiana who collaborated with Silca on this product, I lack the PhD in chemistry to understand and correctly explain the ‘how’ behind the StripChip. Still, I’ll give it a crack [We have faith in you, Dave – Ed.]. Fundamentally, the StripChip is based on the growing science of oleogelation, which is set to be a big thing in the food industry as a healthier alternative to hydrogenation in creating solids out of oils. Or, as my small brain understands it, the StripChip contains a high percentage of unicorn tears (oleogels), which attach to oil, turning them into a harder long-chain fatty acid that more closely mimics the paraffin wax [Nailed it, Dave – Ed.].
It seems like a great solution for people waxing their chains at home where the volume is low, mostly saving time rather than $$. In a shop situation where you may be waxing multiple chains at once, using a separate degreaser will still likely be the more effective solution. Unless the stripchip provides for a better functional benefit having converted the existing lube (into the long chain fatty acid) on the chain.

Cool stuff for sure.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
https://escapecollective.com/silca-s...greased-chain/

The escape collective article briefly touches upon the science of it

It seems like a great solution for people waxing their chains at home where the volume is low, mostly saving time rather than $$. In a shop situation where you may be waxing multiple chains at once, using a separate degreaser will still likely be the more effective solution. Unless the stripchip provides for a better functional benefit having converted the existing lube (into the long chain fatty acid) on the chain.

Cool stuff for sure.
I wonder which is functionally superior, the StripChip or the Degreaser? Having bought the Degreaser and used it once now, it's pretty simple and quick. With the wax in the thrift store crockpot I feel a good bit ahead of where I was a couple of years ago in my waxing. I just pulled a chain off a bike and for laughs tried to measure the wear, but it's almost not measurable over the length of the chain. Overall, the waxing approach is really working well for me in terms of cleanliness and wear.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
But I just bought the Silca Degreaser! Not fair!
Me too!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:59 PM
Back At It!

super interesting! This might get me into the waxing bit to be honest.. not sure if I'll be all in with the Silca pot (they should have a package deal with the wax and stripchips that saves a few bucks), but I'm keenly interested at this point..
Old 02-20-2024, 01:26 PM

Then chemical science sounds interesting. The baby crockpot looks like an unfortunate/cramped work space.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Isn't the #1 complaint from non-waxers ususally "ugh, but it'll take me Sooo MUCH TIIIIME". Seems like Silca is doing innovative things to answer those complaints.
Don't you have to use a new $5 quick link every time too?