Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Switched shoes - calf cramping

Looking for some help here. I switched from S-Works 6 shoes to the Bont Helix in Wide to get some more toe box room. This was about 2 weeks ago.

I set up the cleats as close to the old position as possible. At my next race, I had a bad right calf cramp after 40min or so. I moved the cleats back a few mm. The cleats are a few mm from being back as far as they will go. On race #2, my left calf cramped about 40min as well. I then moved the seat down about 4-5mm as I read the stack height on the Bont's are lower than most. On race #3, my left leg had a cramp about 20min in. On the rides in between the races, they have been fine, but those rides haven't been as intense.

Do I just need to keep riding and getting used to the shoes, or are there other tweaks I should try?
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 PM

I've been noticing lately moving the saddle up and forward makes point my toes and then I become vulnerable to calf cramping and numb toes. (I gave up and moved the saddle back to where it was)

Maybe go have someone look at you on the trainer and observe your ankle position, it's possible something about the new shoes and/or cleats is making you point your toes down more than normal and activate your calfs differently.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM

Saddle height problem due to the stack height of the shoes?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Do the Bont shoes have a built-in varus tilt for the forefoot? I've found that a cause for calf pain.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have moved the saddle height down. I'll have someone video me and see if I can spot something.

That's a good point on the varus tilt. Specialized shoes have this built in, and the Bont don't. I'll experiment with this.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:01 AM

IMO, If your feet dont hurt then the varus/valgus should be ok.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 AM
needs adult supervision

One other thought...I’ve found that a footbed that works well for me in other shoes (specialized and shimano) don’t work well in Bonts. The flat tub shape of Bonts seat the footbed differently. Could that be contributing? Different shoes affect my calves, too.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:17 AM

I have bonts, one thing I noticed when I first got them is that due to the arch supports and the alignment they force through the lower leg and knee I had foot cramps and other aches. Once I spent the time and got the arch support moulded to my foot better, they aches went away.

And yes, the low stack of the shoe played a role and I had to lower my saddle and I also adjusted my cleat position.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:26 PM

Bont Helix

The Bont Helix has worked well for me but I have been wearing Bonts for a couple years-

I have found that the shoes work best with supportive insoles- Either custom ones or a supportive stock insole like Specialized or similar. The stock Bont insoles are too thin.

Shoes are quite flat in terms of the sole- This may be the major change for you.

Cleats may not go as far back as on other shoes- Maybe just move them as far back as they do go-
Different brand shoes line up differently in terms of where the cleats need to go- You can't just do it by eyeballing where the bolts are relative to the spacers.

Saddle height- you may need to drop your saddle- But you should know what you are aiming for so that you maintain the same amount of relative leg extension that you have with other shoes-
Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 PM

Appreciate the additional replies. I ended up putting in a cleat wedge and I did a 3.5 hour trainer ride last weekend and the calves didn't cramp. I'll be doing another race this week and we will see how that goes.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Appreciate the additional replies. I ended up putting in a cleat wedge and I did a 3.5 hour trainer ride last weekend and the calves didn't cramp. I'll be doing another race this week and we will see how that goes.
3.5 hr on the trainer?

respect.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:18 AM

Raced on the shoes with the shims and the left calf cramped again. I'll keep experimenting, but I'll probably take out the cleat wedges.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 AM

Smile

My experience with them is that it's usually me triggering them, i.e sitting in a particular way on the sofa after a ride often causes my hamstring to start to cramp. Getting out of bed in the morning if I'm not careful can trigger a cramp in my calf muscle. I tend to avoid those triggers. Now I try taking a little salt water the night before the ride and make sure to take enough isotonic drinks during and after the ride. Yes, in the past towards the end of long rides I've had cramping starting in my foot and sometimes my calves - perhaps bike fit has helped here (I don't seem to have had them for a while) at the time on the bike I would slow down, relax, try not to tense muscles;and yes to speed muscle repair for faster recovery my boyfriend gave me his compression socks for man. This helps with the removal of blood lactate from muscles to reduce swelling and speed muscle repair for faster recovery. Hope this was helpful..