Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

View Poll Results: How would you refinish this Moots RSL?
Repaint fork same green as frame with no decals 15 34.88%
Strip frame, etched decals; strip fork, no decals 11 25.58%
Strip frame, standard decal on DT, leave fork alone 13 30.23%
Paint fork decals to tie in with green/yellow or grey on frame 4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Looks great! What’s the build kit you’re going with groupwise?

Offloading the Record group already?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Looks great! What’s the build kit you’re going with groupwise?

Offloading the Record group already?
I have three...

Just simplifying to cut down on the need for spares.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 AM

Feels better like this - more setback and lower front end than the Moots stem/post provided.

Waiting on a FH body, then these wheels are going to wife's surprise Moots, which may get built tomorrow.

And waiting for a new blade to trim the periscope.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 AM

Sano. Clean. Fan-freaking-tastic.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Ugh i wish i didnt have to pay for daycare!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Clean is the perfect word. All business -- with character. I like the look with the Fizik stem much better than the Moots. Well done, sir!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Fizik Stem and post make it, man. Good choices.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Fizik Stem and post make it, man. Good choices.
Fizik finishing kit has moved to the top of my list. It's not the lightest, but it looks great and functions perfectly. Plus matching a suede saddle to suede tape brings next-level OCD happiness..

Old 07-12-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Clean is the perfect word. All business -- with character. I like the look with the Fizik stem much better than the Moots. Well done, sir!
Thanks. That's the goal - the "it just works" target has been achieved. I prefer the look and lever-feel of Campy, but you can't argue with the function of R8000. And that's why I'm moving my bikes (and my wife's) over to it. I've got a new job and may be relocating shortly, so I'm trying to reduce the amount of tinkering/hoarding and maintenance options in favor of setups that are more set/forget...and completely cross compatible, including with my smart-trainer. I'm holding onto a near NOS Campy group for a future project after life has settled (neo-retro Rock Lobster I'm thinking) - till then, hitting the easy button.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Fizik finishing kit has moved to the top of my list. It's not the lightest, but it looks great and functions perfectly. Plus matching a suede saddle to suede tape brings next-level OCD happiness..

I'm a diehard ZIPP guy, myself, but FIZIK is a close second (NO CARBON bars/stem/post for this guy). Where ya headed?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I'm a diehard ZIPP guy, myself, but FIZIK is a close second (NO CARBON bars/stem/post for this guy). Where ya headed?
I still roll carbon stuff here and there, but if I start taking bike on trips more often, I'll gravitate to alloy bars/posts too. And probably steel forks

As for the relo, it's a bit open and getting determined in the next month or so: 20% chance I stay in Portland, 20% chance I go to Phoenix, and 60% chance I land somewhere between Petaluma and Reno...with the solid money on Sacramento or Folsom/EldoHIlls. I'll be working from home primarily, but need to be in Folsom, CA a couple times a month, with minor additional travel on the west coast. So, we're looking to optimize around commuting time when I need to go to the office, cost of living, airport access, amenities that support our Portlandia lifestyle, and riding opportunities...plus proximity to family. San Diego hits on a few of those, but the cost of living blows things out of the water when combined with commute distance.

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That's the goal - the "it just works" target has been achieved. I prefer the look and lever-feel of Campy, but you can't argue with the function of R8000. And that's why I'm moving my bikes (and my wife's) over to it. I've got a new job and may be relocating shortly, so I'm trying to reduce the amount of tinkering/hoarding and maintenance options in favor of setups that are more set/forget...and completely cross compatible, including with my smart-trainer. I'm holding onto a near NOS Campy group for a future project after life has settled (neo-retro Rock Lobster I'm thinking) - till then, hitting the easy button.

Ok, you brought it up -- Shimano??? That's the one thing I would personally change as a dyed-in-the-wool Campag bigot Granted, I haven't run Shimano since the 67xx days, but I don't find I need to tinker with my Campag stuff....
Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Ok, you brought it up -- Shimano??? That's the one thing I would personally change as a dyed-in-the-wool Campag bigot Granted, I haven't run Shimano since the 67xx days, but I don't find I need to tinker with my Campag stuff....
Well, yes, in general. I do really like Campy 10, but for the Moots, I wanted to be able to share wheels with other bikes, including what I'm building for my wife, and to be able to pop it on my smart trainer, which has an 11-spd cassette. We'll see how it all goes. The deals on R8000 make giving it a go pretty easy. I'm keeping around enough Campy 10 to rebuild things down the road if I regret the decision... I did very much enjoy my ride tonight, and everything worked wonderfully.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I still roll carbon stuff here and there, but if I start taking bike on trips more often, I'll gravitate to alloy bars/posts too. And probably steel forks

As for the relo, it's a bit open and getting determined in the next month or so: 20% chance I stay in Portland, 20% chance I go to Phoenix, and 60% chance I land somewhere between Petaluma and Reno...with the solid money on Sacramento or Folsom/EldoHIlls. I'll be working from home primarily, but need to be in Folsom, CA a couple times a month, with minor additional travel on the west coast. So, we're looking to optimize around commuting time when I need to go to the office, cost of living, airport access, amenities that support our Portlandia lifestyle, and riding opportunities...plus proximity to family. San Diego hits on a few of those, but the cost of living blows things out of the water when combined with commute distance.
SD housing prices/renting costs have gone through the roof. If we hadn't bought years ago, when it was affordable, (house is now paid off) there's NO WAY we'd be able to afford to buy a decent home here. Not now.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Been watching Le Tour and have been looking HARD at the Peloton, trying to find anything Campy on their bikes. I cannot.